Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

I downloaded the Android version the other day. I'm yet to fire it up yet though. I've just been too busy. I hear a lot of good things about it though. Maybe later tonight I'll get to it.

I started playing it because it was one of the few modern games my laptop could run, and kept it up because it's really fun. That said, I probably wouldn't have kept at it if I hadn't become infinite in Arena. Getting cards is too much of a slog otherwise, especially since GvG was released (making it impossible for newbies to earn Classic packs in Arena). On top of this, I'm not really fond of the community, since to me it seems filled with Timmys who'll call anything broken. The game itself is very antisocial by nature, though, so you're not likely to encounter them unless you start frequenting a Hearthstone forum.

I started playing it because it was one of the few modern games my laptop could run, and kept it up because it's really fun. That said, I probably wouldn't have kept at it if I hadn't become infinite in Arena. Getting cards is too much of a slog otherwise, especially since GvG was released (making it impossible for newbies to earn Classic packs in Arena). On top of this, I'm not really fond of the community, since to me it seems filled with Timmys who'll call anything broken. The game itself is very antisocial by nature, though, so you're not likely to encounter them unless you start frequenting a Hearthstone forum.

Yeah, I like the way Blizzard has made it all anonymous.. you can´t get trolled or flamed for nothing. About the worst ´anti-social´ activity a person can do to you in game is not go for the kill shot on the first move of the last round. Like if you have 1hp left and they have a minion that can do one point of damage, instead they kill off all your minions, play their buff cards and then kill you.

I´ve had that happen twice in about 10,000 games LOL

Guys, as mentioned before, those of you who have Android devices should definitely download the game on their smartphones and tablets. I just did on my mom's Samsung Galaxy Tab to try it out, and I thought that it is very easy to handle the cards and it's not that easy to make a misplay. The only rough part was making a deck, but all in all it's definitely worth the 500 MBs it takes to download.

Yeah, I like the way Blizzard has made it all anonymous.. you can´t get trolled or flamed for nothing. About the worst ´anti-social´ activity a person can do to you in game is not go for the kill shot on the first move of the last round. Like if you have 1hp left and they have a minion that can do one point of damage, instead they kill off all your minions, play their buff cards and then kill you.

I´ve had that happen twice in about 10,000 games LOL

Ha! To be honest, plays like that which drag the game on annoy me more than someone yelling at me or something like that. But BM has become a large part of the Hearthstone culture; it's pretty ingrained at this point. I searched for HS tees recently and found this one, for example: http://teespring.com/bmboys. I think BM has become a natural thing in the game at this point, though so far the most I've had is some 'I will hunt you down!' spam.

Interesting, I didn't know they released the Android version. I played during the beta and while it was fun, I found that the meta was very bland. There wasn't enough interesting mechanics to remove the rock/scissor/paper element of it. Now that its out on Android, I'll have to give it another shot.

It's about time to came to Android, considering how long the iOS version has been around. With the new GvG update there's plenty to do (and grind) in the game.

Interesting, I didn't know they released the Android version. I played during the beta and while it was fun, I found that the meta was very bland. There wasn't enough interesting mechanics to remove the rock/scissor/paper element of it. Now that its out on Android, I'll have to give it another shot.

They have broken the metas every few months with a few card changes. They just recently changed a couple warlock cards that really had a big impact. Also they purposefully added a lot of counter cards in GG in order to disrupt some things that were becoming common. I also think they realized that a predictable meta game is a bad thing and so added a LOT of RNG cards. Overall, the point being that you can´t research the best decks and expect to duplicate their results.

I'm not a huge fan of the RNG approach. The game should be about outplaying your opponent. This should be done with interesting and unique game mechanics that interact differently in different situations. Sure, it's a huge pain to come up with, but its much better than RNG.

I'm not a huge fan of the RNG approach. The game should be about outplaying your opponent. This should be done with interesting and unique game mechanics that interact differently in different situations. Sure, it's a huge pain to come up with, but its much better than RNG.

I agree, but micro-balancing a 1v1 pvp game of any type is a nightmare and would be a never-ending series of buffs and nerfs to cards. The less RNG you have in your game, the more pinpoint you need to be with your balancing or else every fansite in the world is going to be posting the best-deck... and then the devs will have to nerf it. If you have 20% RNG, then it isn´t as notiable if a deck/hero is 2% better than other decks.

Card games will always have an RNG element. That's simply a part of the card format. It's a huge gameplay consideration when it comes to games like Magic the Gathering, which is arguably one of the most popular and oldest professionally played customizable card games.

They have eliminated most of the RNG from Magic though. There are VERY few "flip a coin" type effects now. Usually cards are printed with an either/or effect, or they have additional abilities when requirements are met. You will never see a card like "Deal 1 or 2 damage (assigned randomly) to all creatures." It will be something along the lines of "Deal 1 damage to all creatures OR deal 2 damage to two target creatures."

They have eliminated most of the RNG from Magic though. There are VERY few "flip a coin" type effects now. Usually cards are printed with an either/or effect, or they have additional abilities when requirements are met. You will never see a card like "Deal 1 or 2 damage (assigned randomly) to all creatures." It will be something along the lines of "Deal 1 damage to all creatures OR deal 2 damage to two target creatures."
Sorry I meant more in the decks themselves, due to the "randomness" of shuffling a deck of cards. I know deck builders will always try to minimize the amount of randomness in their deck by including duplicates and search/mill cards to ensure they can pick up their desired hand. That's what I mean by randomness.

Sure, you can minimize it, but part of the charm and appeal is finding the right cards to mitigate or otherwise abuse RNG in the deck to your favour.

Sure, you can minimize it, but part of the charm and appeal is finding the right cards to mitigate or otherwise abuse RNG in the deck to your favour.

I think that is part of the problem Hearthstone had in being adopted by people new to the genre. Card games are more about ´ I won x amount of games out of 20´ rather than stewing over the fact that you lost a single game because of bad RNG. I lot of new players don´t get the fact that RNG in a single game is unpredictable, but when spread out of 20 games, you see your skill become more important.

It's a very easy game to get into and can be quite addicting! Especially with the android version and cross play, this genre of game excels on portable platforms.
My issue currently is the amount of grind if you aren't paying or playing Arena. I think they need to add more quests and in turn add more things you can purchase gold with. The different modes are great however there isn't much benefit in terms of gold. The game is quite simple in this respect, you do quests and win for gold, buy packs, open packs, update decks, rinse and repeat.

Personally I would rather spend like $10 on card packs to get started and horde my gold for arena. Arena is amazing, but at 150g a pop can get quite expensive if you don't do well.

This is exactly why I stopped playing the game. When I saw they want to introduce more RNG with GvG, I just left. It was already frustrating to lose because my opponent got the perfect starting hand as a Zoolock and I got none of my aoe spells or anything that could deal with the pressure. And that's just one of the example where RNG cost me the game.

I've been playing since closed beta and I still play quite regularly. It's pretty relaxing, I can browse the web and watch some videos while it's the opponents turn.

And I don't mind the RNG, really. It's a collectible card game, it's going to have a lot of RNG anyways. GvG added a lot of interesting cards that made the game less stale.