Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft

AFKATafcar

Registered
Dec 1, 2014
Seattle, WA
Has anyone been playing this collectible card game? It's free to play, and it offers some fun moments for a couple hours each day. There's nothing too special about the game, but it's entertaining enough to play more than once. I'm not the greatest at it, though. If you haven't tried it, then I suggest you give it a shot just to see what it's like!

Agree, Even if you don´t spend a dime it is a fun game to play for a few hours each week. Just getting each of the classes up to lvl 10 is fun. The ladder system is ok and you can have a lot of fun because you start out playing really bad players, so you don´t really have to do much research.

But there is a lot of depth to the game, and I don´t think you can have much sucess without doing a lot of research. But even without doing much pvp, you can easily get 30-50 fun hours just messing around with with the PVE stuff.

It's one of the best mobile TCGs out there, I play it pretty frequently and it has a very active playerbase. Another nice mobile TCG that isn't pay-to-win is Shadow Era. You can buy any card you want using in-game gold (unlike the booster pack mechanic in Hearthstone), which you can earn from playing against AI or other human players. There are no daily missions like in Hearthstone, hence the gold you can earn is unlimited.

I play it every now and then, but it's obviously a paid to win game. If you don't spend any money, you really don't stand a chance in ranked games.

I actually don't agree with the whole pay to win argument when it comes to this game. I feel you can enjoy it just fine without ever paying a dime. I think I've clocked about ~50 hours, and I find it refreshing. there's not much like it out there, and I think it's an enjoyable model. It's definitely among the best CCGs out there, if not the best.

I actually don't agree with the whole pay to win argument when it comes to this game. I feel you can enjoy it just fine without ever paying a dime. I think I've clocked about ~50 hours, and I find it refreshing. there's not much like it out there, and I think it's an enjoyable model. It's definitely among the best CCGs out there, if not the best.

You can enjoy it without paying, but if you want to be a successful player without the months of grinding, you'll definitely have to invest some money!

You can enjoy it without paying, but if you want to be a successful player without the months of grinding, you'll definitely have to invest some money!

Sorry, totally disagree with this. There are plenty of live-streams of the best players using nothing but generic decks and doing very well. I guy with a basic mage deck was playing at rank 3 and crap like that.

The thing is, there is a lot of RNG involved in card games plus it is a ladder system so you are never really supposed to win much more than 50% of your matches.

People who throw the pay2win label out there are either people who aren´t very good, or people that don´t understand that with any ladder system you are going to lose a lot ( up to 50%), which many competitive people can´t stand.

Sorry, totally disagree with this. There are plenty of live-streams of the best players using nothing but generic decks and doing very well. I guy with a basic mage deck was playing at rank 3 and crap like that.

The thing is, there is a lot of RNG involved in card games plus it is a ladder system so you are never really supposed to win much more than 50% of your matches.

People who throw the pay2win label out there are either people who aren´t very good, or people that don´t understand that with any ladder system you are going to lose a lot ( up to 50%), which many competitive people can´t stand.

I'll admit I'm not the best player! But my point is, new players coming in with no experience, don't stand any chance using a generic deck against someone with the best cards in the game. And I see where you mentioned live streams, but let's be honest, these aren't noobs streaming their matches. They are experienced players who know how to win regardless of what deck they use.

Winning with a generic deck is possible, but not easy to do, especially without hours of practice.

I'm totally addicted to Hearthstone, I've been playing every day, even if just to do the daily quests.
It has to be one of the best card games out there, if not the best one.
Even while I'm at work I'm watching streams of people playing!

I'll admit I'm not the best player! But my point is, new players coming in with no experience, don't stand any chance using a generic deck against someone with the best cards in the game. And I see where you mentioned live streams, but let's be honest, these aren't noobs streaming their matches. They are experienced players who know how to win regardless of what deck they use.

Winning with a generic deck is possible, but not easy to do, especially without hours of practice.

Sorry if I seem to be argumentative.. But what you said is true of any game. A fresh lvl 100 in WOW is going to get destroyed by an experienced player in the best pvp gear available.

The good thing about Hearthstone is that the ladder system prevents that from happening. A new player who is just starting is going to get matched against rank 25 players, who are probably either very very bad player, or new players themselves.

The other topic was just the use of pay2win.. where i talked about streaming games. There is certainly an advantage to buying cards, but there has to be with a free2play game. But those really experienced and good players have shown you can be very successful with newbie decks, which means paying isn´t necessary to be competitive.

I like to play it, but it's too RNG based to be played competitively. Especially with the newest Gnomes vs Goblins (or is it another way around?) expansion which is entirely based on random effects.

Still I complete daily quests almost every day, I love opening card packs (and getting legendaries, lol).

I loved the game, even though you really depend on luck sometimes and it takes quite a while to get most of the cards you want without paying real money. But the game is very fun and relaxing and I love the fact that it challenges you to think strategically and think of the best plays you could pull of. Even though I haven't been playing consistently these days, I still enjoy videos of good plays and make sure to check out if anything's changed.

I like to play it, but it's too RNG based to be played competitively. Especially with the newest Gnomes vs Goblins (or is it another way around?) expansion which is entirely based on random effects.

Still I complete daily quests almost every day, I love opening card packs (and getting legendaries, lol).

It is very much RNG domintated, The thing is the games are very short, which means your strategy and cards will help you win a percentage of the time, but that doesn´t mean you will win every game. You can play the same AI two games in a row and get beat, and then dominate the next game. Strategy and decks are only about improving your winning percentage over the long haul. If you are a great player, you may win 7 of 10 games, where a bad player would only win 3 of 10.

I've been playing it a bit but I quickly realized it may not entirely be my cup of tea.
I like the gameplay (also enjoyed magic the gathering as a video game) but I suck at figuring out how to put a good deck together. I'm not great with the deck building strategy and I'm cluesless which classes owns which etc.

It's a great game especially considering it's a F2P though. Who knows maybe I'll get more in to it in the future. :)

I've actually started playing it out of curiosity and I love that it's a simplified Magic. However like many have said, there's a lot of RNG that goes into the game. I'm trying to get used to the different classes and see which one works for me. It's a little hard trying to make my own deck because everything's digital and I'm used to holding physical cards in my hands and combining decks that way.

I've been playing it a bit but I quickly realized it may not entirely be my cup of tea.
I like the gameplay (also enjoyed magic the gathering as a video game) but I suck at figuring out how to put a good deck together. I'm not great with the deck building strategy and I'm cluesless which classes owns which etc.

It's a great game especially considering it's a F2P though. Who knows maybe I'll get more in to it in the future. :)
Their is a hidden quest to get every class up to lvl 10. That gives you access to all the basic cards for each class.

Most decks are just about finding 2 or 3 synergies between cards or hero abilities and then getting lucky enough to play those synergies. For instance, having cards with a battle cry or death rattle that creates other minions, and then having a card that gives +1/+1 to all those minions.. stuff like that.

You don´t really build a deck that has all 30 cards working together, instead you find a good synergie and build the rest of the deck around avoiding the enemies goal.

Their is a hidden quest to get every class up to lvl 10. That gives you access to all the basic cards for each class.

Most decks are just about finding 2 or 3 synergies between cards or hero abilities and then getting lucky enough to play those synergies. For instance, having cards with a battle cry or death rattle that creates other minions, and then having a card that gives +1/+1 to all those minions.. stuff like that.

You don´t really build a deck that has all 30 cards working together, instead you find a good synergie and build the rest of the deck around avoiding the enemies goal.
A hidden quest? Well unhide that sucker, let me have it! haha

I mean, I know what you mean. And I kinda do that I just... I don't know, I've been losing alot lately and I don't know why, maybe I'm just extremely unlucky.

Oh, hey, this was just recommended to be a week ago! On mobile though so I'm not really sure if there's a big difference in gameplay and community between the two. I've been playing it during my commute so I haven't really focused on it much but it's been addicting and I do like card games so that's a plus.

I'm still familiarizing myself with how to do things but it's been a great way to pass the time and I'd like to think I'm getting the hang of it. Since there's a PC version, I might try that out too. It's been entertaining so I'll put it on my maybe list, haha.

The community is the same! :) As this is card game, there are no real disadvantages when playing on a tablet vs player, who is playing on a PC.
And Hearthstone recently released for Android tablets! With a bit of luck, I managed to get it running on my Android phone. It's a little slow and laggy, but still playable. From what I heard it lags even on high end tablets, so there probably will be some sort of performance update patch in the near future.

@Kazix - that's the one I'm playing, the android version. Glad to know there's no difference in community and gameplay then! And I see, so it's faster on a PC is it? The slowness is one of the things I've gotten used to after playing a while but it's awesome to know it's not present in other versions and may be resolved in the future. Thanks for the heads-up! :)