Have Games taught you anything?

Mental agility, motor skills, coordination, puzzle solving skills, and that's just the few that I can think of.

MMORPGs definitely taught me to be patient and understanding. I did some hardcore raiding in WoW and being patient with my teammates, focusing on my job, and trusting the team helped me achieve the reward, the thrill of getting that first boss kill. They helped me a lot when I was going through harsh times. I developed a connection with so many of my guild members, I talk to a few of them on a daily basis even after I quit playing that game almost a year ago. I've met several of them at gaming conventions and had a great time. I'm sure it helped me reduce my toxicity as a player too.

Yes, apart from teaching me how to procrastinate in the most enjoyable way possible, some games have taught me the value planning ahead and planning things out thoroughly beforehand. Games with complicated structures and rules often promote critical thinking and parallel reasoning.

Yes, apart from teaching me how to procrastinate in the most enjoyable way possible, some games have taught me the value planning ahead and planning things out thoroughly beforehand. Games with complicated structures and rules often promote critical thinking and parallel reasoning.

Yeah I totally agree. For me, games also taught me patience and looking at things from a different perspective.

Honestly, if there is one thing that videogames has taught me, it is that it takes a lot of patience and dedication to be a good leader. The leader inside of me has developed since a really young age when I just started playing online video games. As a result, I see myself often times taking leadership roles in the real world. I think this is extremely helpful because I know that I can rely on myself to get things done, and I am good at motivating others.

Games have taught me many useful skills while I was young. I remember learning vocabulary just from MMO's while talking to different people. Some games also teach you how to multitask or even run a business.

Games have taught me many useful skills while I was young. I remember learning vocabulary just from MMO's while talking to different people. Some games also teach you how to multitask or even run a business.
Very good point. Game dialogues subconsciously teach children how to speak, even if a game is full of profanities it would still at least teach them proper grammar and sentence structure.

Well games have taught me to explore my imagination. It taught me to not feel any remorse for negativity that I get from people. I learned that you can make quick second decisions from playing games.

Besides cooperative skills and problem solving, the biggest things games have taught me is English. As a non-native English speaker games was the biggest thing teaching me English, and a lot of the vocabulary I use still comes from games rather than school.

I think games are a great way of learning and can help with development of children too.

Playing a video game teaches great hand eye coordination. Watching the screen and pressing the buttons accordingly helps with this a lot! I also think that playing certain games also helps with problem solving, especially on a game like The Sims, where you have to build your own home, it also helps with planning ahead and money management to a certain degree.

There are a lot of skills that can be learned and enhanced by playing games and I think it should be encouraged rather than given a bad name.

Well, the Castlevania games taught me that one sometimes find delicious roast meat bricked into the walls of ancient castles that haven't seen a mortal soul in years! And that eating said meat will heal one's wounds and restore one's vitality! Wait... that's a terrible life lesson! ;)

I'm Dutch, and I've learned all my English from playing games.
I'm 13 years old and I get an A for almost every test.

Also my hand-eye coordination got better by playing FPS.
And not to forget, my typing pace by roleplay games

Gaming is love, gaming is life.

I'm Dutch, and I've learned all my English from playing games.
I'm 13 years old and I get an A for almost every test.

Also my hand-eye coordination got better by playing FPS.
And not to forget, my typing pace by roleplay games

Gaming is love, gaming is life.
That is really impressive that you learned almost all of your English by playing video games. What games in particular did you play that really helped with your learning of the language?

That is really impressive that you learned almost all of your English by playing video games. What games in particular did you play that really helped with your learning of the language?
I learned alot from the Call of Duty campaign mode, and by mixing up with the community I had to talk English, so I just tried and found out it isn't hard at all.

I'm under the impression that games have developed my logical thinking and imagination. They've also improved my ability to focus, solve problems etc. and have fun while doing it, obviously! Really depends on the game though, as I've played plenty of bad games, that have taught me not to waste my time on stupid stuff... So if you really think about it, there's a lesson in everything.

By the way:
When I started looking more deeply into games I wondered how they where made. There was my interest for programming, and I started learning more Maths :D
(which also boosts my degrees at school)

I think I owe quite a few skills to video games.

• Being able to think on my feet and observe my surrounding for another solution.
  • Coordination has improved.
  • Strategist side is brought out.

I try to analyze a situation more when it comes to being faced with problem and think about another way to solve it, if normal means aren't available to me. My hand-eye coordination is improved by a few percent wise to get more accustomed to what's happening about me; providing a faster reaction time. Now, I try to think of ways of time managing something to brought about the full effect of it. I think of different types of scenarios to make things easier and be able to preemptive it, so the "battle" works out in my favor.

Well I have learned a lot from video games like from seeing sites that I have never visited in real life and also how to operate machinery like an aircraft in microsoft flight simulator. Grand theft auto also shows how gangs operate to some extent.

If so, what? Video games can teach some good problem solving skills and team work as well as motor skills. I think games too often get a bad rap, but they can also be a good thing.
Playing strategy video based games have been very good for me when it comes to being very good with planning. I used to rush things but playing such games helped me so much.