Have Games taught you anything?

Zyni

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
If so, what? Video games can teach some good problem solving skills and team work as well as motor skills. I think games too often get a bad rap, but they can also be a good thing.

Reactions: CpXi7z1
I agree that games can teach some valuable skills. I don't have a history of playing a lot of games, but the few games I have played have probably improved my fine motor skills. I believe I've also improved on basic analyzing skills; a lot of games require inventory sorting and management, as well as inspecting different inventory items and figuring out which combination of gear would benefit you best.

I don't have any experience in multiplayer games, but I can see what Zyni means in how playing online multiplayer games could improve your team-working and interpersonal skills.

Finally, I think certain games can teach one to put themselves in another person's shoes; perhaps playing a particular character can make you see things in a new way.

Reactions: Zyni
Games don't teach me, because it's not a living and breathing entity who can discuss with me the philosophies, allusions, metaphors, and aesthetics of itself, if I ask it.

It's me, and other humans, who will teach or guide me from the experiences of video game playing.

Besides the improving of my eye and hand coordination, there isn't much to teach me. If anything, video games have kept me level headed and safe. If there wasn't any video games I would be running the streets and getting into trouble.

Physics building games teach me about structural engineering. An example would be a game like bridge constructor or World of Goo. You have to strategically place items to make the structure work. I also know how to race in go karts better because i play racing games.

My games teach me to build houses in game, improve my problem solving skills and co-operating with others.

At least for me, if there's a few things I learn from what I play the most is having more educated guesses as to what my opponents are about to do, prompting me to read the different styles until I can decipher their pattern. and of course, having to adapt on the fly to whatever problem presented. Getting out of my comfort zone to face adversity is another valuable lesson given.

During my whole childhood I've always loved the simulation games. I originally started with the microsoft airplane simulator series and ever since then my passion for them has grown! The best part of having played these games when I was young and buying a steering wheel and pedals for the newest Need for speed (back then), is that I completely learnt how to drive! I have passed my driver's test without one of those course's most people tell you to take and I bet I could drive an 18 wheeler thanks too Euro truck simulator 2 (best truck simulator ever).

Playing games taught me a lot of things. It taught me how to make wise decisions regarding allocating resources. It also taught me how to solve problems while thinking out of the box. I've also learned how to be a critical thinker because of gaming.

Growing up, I used to play a lot of JRPGs. I'd also play RTSs with friends. I think RTSs can definitely help your design and planning skills. You would certainly have to think and plan ahead in those games to win. I'm not sure what a JRPG could teach you. It would probably teach you as much as a fictional book just because of the amount of reading involved.

I think the only marketable skills games have taught me is English. I don't think I can ever be convinced gaming is a good way to spend my free time aside from the fact that I'm relaxing and having fun doing it. Does that count?

I have learned a few things over the years. The biggest being is patience, which certain games have helped over the years. Certain RPG's along with MMO's I would have never played, or keep playing and going through the tedious grinding. I guess it's just according to each person.

Only use your knife in combat when there IS no other choice.

Hold the position as long as you can, wait for the tanks.

Never eat mushrooms with a skull on it.

In space, no one can hear you scream.

Some flowers give you pyromancer ability's...

Reactions: YunaKazama26
If so, what? Video games can teach some good problem solving skills and team work as well as motor skills. I think games too often get a bad rap, but they can also be a good thing.
I never was really good with games and if I were to really practiced then I can solve problems like some people. Games are valuable resources and I think that schools should really utilize in teaching kids about problem with videogames. I could remember that Warcraft 3 has taught me how to multi-task.

I think the thing I have learned the most from video games is hand eye coordination. That is always extremely useful, not to mention you feel like a boss when you catch a ball without turning your head.

Dayz really taught me how to plan efficiently. Running from my spawn point, to a military base for a gun, then heading up to a pond north of electro for water, hitting electro its self for food. I have learned really how to plan my day according to what is going on with everyone else in my life.

World of warcraft taught me how economies work. Buying, farming, selling and crafting on wow has really taught me how to make a business model and how to recognize a profitable idea. I hope to use that experience to run my own buisness some day. It also helped me learn how to deal with jerks (laugh in their face).

Definitely problem solving and concentration. You can't play a videogame while distracted with other things, so the concentration is a must. It keeps you centered and focused, which is hard to ask for from a lot of people these days. And problem solving is obvious, especially in story-type games. And of course planning, and critically thinking ahead.

I think the thing I have learned the most from video games is hand eye coordination. That is always extremely useful, not to mention you feel like a boss when you catch a ball without turning your head.

Dayz really taught me how to plan efficiently. Running from my spawn point, to a military base for a gun, then heading up to a pond north of electro for water, hitting electro its self for food. I have learned really how to plan my day according to what is going on with everyone else in my life.

World of warcraft taught me how economies work. Buying, farming, selling and crafting on wow has really taught me how to make a business model and how to recognize a profitable idea. I hope to use that experience to run my own buisness some day. It also helped me learn how to deal with jerks (laugh in their face).
That is cool that Dayz taught you to do some planning. If the zombie apocalypse were to occur you would be the leader of your own group. I would try to find you if the apocalypse were to occur.

Definitely problem solving and concentration. You can't play a videogame while distracted with other things, so the concentration is a must. It keeps you centered and focused, which is hard to ask for from a lot of people these days. And problem solving is obvious, especially in story-type games. And of course planning, and critically thinking ahead.
Just thinking about concentration I was thinking of the medicine adderall. I was just reading a post about it giving you mood swings. If the games do not give you mood swings then that is a benefit.

I think fighting games have improved my coordination to some degree. I'm not a very coordinated person but at least when it comes to fighting games I feel empowered in having my thoughts line up with what I see and what I press. I'm not terribly good at them but at least I can put up a good fight.