Have Games taught you anything?

Games definitely improved my searching skills. I would some how be able to analyze stuff a lot better than I use to before I played them.

That is cool that Dayz taught you to do some planning. If the zombie apocalypse were to occur you would be the leader of your own group. I would try to find you if the apocalypse were to occur.

I was prepared before dayz was a thing :D. It just taught me to plan more efficiently. For example, going to a pond before going into a city, incase I don't find anything to drink.

If anything, games have taught me to strategist before going all gun blazing. Games like Dark Souls have taught me to never give up on anything. You are going to get what you need ultimately conquering your biggest fears and foes if you are persistent. If you enemy is huge and to powerful, come back after upgrading your skills and eat him in his own game.

Yes. I learned to play the game and not let the game play you. Games are meant to be enjoyed. When it comes to a point where things get frustrating (hard to level up, so many trolls, pay2win, etc.), the point of playing is forgotten.

I think the main thing that I've learned from video games are how to patient and how to persevere. It's not easy to win at a lot of these games. They make them as challenging as possible. It could be easy to give up and quit. But if you want to excel at them you have to keep at it and keep giving maximum effort in order to improve. I've been able to take that never give up attitude and use it all aspects of my life.

Reactions: Zyni
I have this conversation often with my boyfriend. We both agree that playing video games has taught us so much about life! I could go through a whole list. Driving games have helped us both be better drivers in real life and learn different rules of the roads, and help us also learn to follow direction (speed limits, signals when needed, etc)
We have both learnt problem solving skills through playing video games and they have also helped a huge much with our coordination skills!

To be honest I really think that video games have thought me the art of critical thinking. It has also given me the ability to make better decisions in my life.

My ability to scan a room or store shelves has improved greatly. I think the hand and eye coordination improvement is something that can be measured. You have to be able to quickly dissect a situation and respond in tenths of second to win.

I was prepared before dayz was a thing :D. It just taught me to plan more efficiently. For example, going to a pond before going into a city, incase I don't find anything to drink.
Well that is swell if you are able to plan then continue to be that way. If you are able to drink good water then drink that good water. I never was really good at every single game there was. I just try to make do with what I have. I never been in situations where I can really sit down and handle the stress.

I think multiplayer games can teach you how to be calm and work together as a team to achieve a common goal (winning).

Aside from that there are many puzzle games which can teach you how to rationalize and think outside the box. Some of my favorites would be The Bridge and Spacechem.

Games have taught me tons. I could write a book about it. But to save space, I will give you a good example. My husband and I play co-op games. Recently, we started playing Forced. This game is all about communication, working together, and coordinating efforts. It can make the difference between success and failure if you don't call out what you are doing or plan to do. Check out Forced multiplayer gameplay, and you will see what I mean. It can be frustrating at times, and we sometimes have to take breaks from the game so we don't get angry. There are few things in life that will test your ability to work as a team like this game...and Magicka, but that is a different post altogether.

It definitely taught me to be really patient and not rush things. I mean, if you do that to a game then you will end up losing and have a hard time. I have to be honest that I am not the most patient man in the world but given the fact that I play a lot, it helped me be a bit more patient in what I do. Thanks video games :)

I was a terrible reader when I went into first grade. I think the teacher said something like "stunningly bad". I simply refused to read on my own (my parents had no problems reading to me as a child, so I willfully forced them to read everything to me). Enter video games. It turns out that they would become bored to tears reading the text of something they had no involvement in, so after a short while they just told me that they wouldn't read it any more. Stuck in a corner I was forced to read that shit on my own. I finished first grade as an advance reader and the teacher refused to believe it was due to video games (it was the 80s, they thought they were flashing lights you put on after cartoons to keep children quiet).

Aside from that I know random shit about cars because ever couple of years I get really into Grand Turismo or Forza and suddenly learn a ton of shit about something stupid they added so make the go box move faster. It always stupefies my wife.

Games have taught me the power of patience and remaining focused. It is believed that playing games increases the creativity juices to get so much done. Playing an interesting game is the quickest method of getting rid of boredom.

Do Edutainment games count? :p

I've learned some history from Crusader Kings 2.

Timing from other games, some real history/lore from other games, but not a whole lot from games really.

The games you play have different things they teach people. This is something parents do not understand about gaming. Some games increase your eye hand coordination, a lot of games increase your problem solving skills, games are used in the military to help increase soldiers tactical abilities. Different games do different things for people and a lot of people do not even realize it is happening. Just like how a lot of people who play chess progress well in the world because chess teaches you to think 3 or more steps in advance and when you apply your chess strategy to our everyday life you are usually 3 steps ahead of everyone else.

Videogames increased my vocabulary (most of it is from Final Fantasy) and stamina (15 song playlists on Hard difficulty in Dance Central does that to you). My problem solving skills and hand to eye coordination also improved (FPS/Fighting games). I guess I'm also braver now (I'm the only one at home who plays zombie games) and I got decent dancing skills(Dance Central again). I learned a lot of expressions and about tech stuff too. I got a confused look from my sister when I mentioned I needed a HDMI to VGA with RCA cable cord for our old HD TV for gaming use and had to explain what those are one by one. Also the importance of being responsible. You have to frequently save your game (unless it has autosave), save ammo and supplies lest face an untimely death...uh..game over screen, keep your character/allies equipped with the best armor at all times, clean your room for play space, keep your console in tip top condition, rest, eat and sleep. The list goes on.

Last edited:
If so, what? Video games can teach some good problem solving skills and team work as well as motor skills. I think games too often get a bad rap, but they can also be a good thing.
Oh yes definitely. Games have taught me the virtue of patience and hard work.You also learn to be patient and wait for the right moment to execute your plans.

Yes, I play league of legends and it teaches me how to corporate with other members, because everyone has their own roles. I also learn a lot of coarse languages and slang words from other mean users. Anyway, playing game is pretty fun and relaxing.

Games definitely improved my searching skills. I would some how be able to analyze stuff a lot better than I use to before I played them.
This is true for me too lol. I don't know if I was already good at it prior to video games but I'm pretty sure games like God of War have helped me be more attentive to details and small objects. I'm always the one finding lost keys and remotes around the house.