Every feel like life is meaningless

Zeromonkey

Registered
Apr 22, 2006
Maspeth Queens, NY
www.myspace.com
i mean in retrospec... we like as people to reach the highest point of achivement in ourlives,why? to get a job that pays the most money possible to travel around the world and treat yourself to anything... but whats the purpose with that.... thats all meaningless... were nuthing but a spec.... we live we die.... its depressing somtimes how realisticly the world is nuthing but a factory...

Me neither... I mean, look at the human race. We make progress (towards things beneficial and nonbeneficial alike), we impact each other's lives, and stuff happens. Sure when we're gone things might not have been remembered, but who cares? It's life, we're here, let's make the best of it. :)

My take is that you have to follow your instincts and do what makes you happy. You have to ultimately adhere to that intangible nature that is you. You don't strive towards things that aren't innately interesting or rewarding to yourself; that's a given. Find what's yours in the world--ideas, hobbies, ways of thinking and living, people you connect with, material matters, landscapes and adventures. Be active in building and examining your life. Stay close to what feels natural, what will allow you to live life with the least resistance/friction to others and to your ideal self. Everything comes down to perspective.

i think life is so simple its confusing. but i try not to think bout this kind of stuff, i just try to have as much fun as possible and live it to the fullest. i figure that way i'll live a happy life.

as an artist, i can say that my goal in life is not so much to do with becoming a millionare but to "do what i love and to love what i do".(it just so happens that what i love to do is a pretty lucrative industry right now) i believe in it so much as to dedicate my life to acheiving that goal through my skills as an artist.

i love animation (with a love affair for comics on the side) so that's what i have to do. pretty simple.

the_roach said:
My take is that you have to follow your instincts and do what makes you happy. You have to ultimately adhere to that intangible nature that is you. You don't strive towards things that aren't innately interesting or rewarding to yourself; that's a given. Find what's yours in the world--ideas, hobbies, ways of thinking and living, people you connect with, material matters, landscapes and adventures. Be active in building and examining your life. Stay close to what feels natural, what will allow you to live life with the least resistance/friction to others and to your ideal self. Everything comes down to perspective.
well i must say that was an excelent way of putting it... although thats what i plan to do.... but did you every notice you cant stay happy.. i mean you always have to sacrifice happiness... and somtimes the sacrifices arent worth it.... thats why question arise to begin with...

Outlook. Happy people are people who have a simple outlook on life and are happy by nature, or they are the type of person who is more aware or more prone to question things and they must almost trick themselves into being happy. They do this through their outlook. That's the best I can figure. A good starting point is to know that the world will do with you what it will do--whether you believe it is fate or random events or some other source--so there's little use in pondering and getting bogged down by the metaphysics of why things happen to you specifically unless you have a good idea why they are happening (which can then possibly be corrected). Uhh... man, I feel like some kind of Dr. Phil ripoff without the ridiculous analogies. :p

daiconv has the right idea, too. Art is a powerful tool in life for some. If you happen to find art, it opens up so much. It's a gateway to having a good outlook on life as well, much like religion for some. Notice how a lot of people use existing art or expressions to partially define their lifes.

There is a difference between happiness and joy. Happiness is determined by circumstance: getting a surprise check in the mail makes me happy. But joy is deeper and comes from God. How could Mother Teresa (forgive me if I spelled it wrong, I'm not Catholic) be "happy"? She had joy. Ghandi wasn't happy. Buddha wasn't happy even though all the statues depict him as fat and happy. He was always seeking nirvana but never achieved it. He even tried starving himself (You don't hear about the anorexic Buddha). And I haven't found or even heard of a Gnostic, Agnostic, or Athiest that didn't struggle with the ambiguity of their religion (especially if they have contrived their own belief system and not going off of the ones hundreds of years old).

Shouldn't this thread be in off topic discussions?

I find it interesting....

Zeromonkey, I will say that yes, I have found life to be completely meaningless many times throughout my life.... for about four years, to be exact. I was highly depressed, and even suicidal from the time I was in fifth grade, until I got saved last year. (Btw, if you would ever like to talk to me, I'm new here and you can reach me via any way listed here). Nowadays, I find life meaningless in a different light; meaningless in the way that Darth_Jonas outlined - Soloman's kind of meaningless.

I will also agree with Darth_Jonas' outline on the meaning of joy versus happiness.

Happiness is what the_roach was referring to when he said follow your nature and be worldly. Well, honestly, to date, all that the world has to offered me hasn't lifted me up, nor has it helped out any of my friends. The friends I've lost due to suicide and that I can't continue a relationship with due to their lifestyle live in a state of loss and unhappiness, even though the do/did drugs, sex, alcohol, etc. Many have quite a bit of money for their ages, but they're still not happy. Most of the biggest hip-hop, rap, and other musical and movie superstars live in an inward state of unhappiness. I know a guy named Phil Chalmers, whom you've probably heard of, and several other people who either are in, have been in, or associate with people who are in the industry of making the bigtime and living large. They've told me and would tell you as well that things are not wonderful just because you follow what you're good at or get what you want. The former lead singer of alternative metal band Full Devil Jacket and now lead singer of Christian-rock band Day of Fire is from my hometown of Jackson, Tennessee. (In fact, both bands were/are as well). He and several bands who have opened for him are pretty good friends with me, my friends, my church, and several other people I associate with. He was on top of the world with Full Devil Jacket and had everything he wanted. He had always wanted his own band and album, money, fame, and he'd always loved singing, etc. This is what he'd always dreamed of and what he loved. But he still lived in depression and sadness. He tried to intentionally OD once, and God spared him from death. Afterwards, he met up with the group of guys with whom he would later form the group Day of Fire.

Fulfilling a positive purpose is the only thing that will bring happiness and hope to your life. I don't say that because I was raised in church because I wasn't. I don't say that because some preacher I heard said that because that's not a sermon I've heard. I say that because I lived it and I've been reaffirmed time and time again by others. I've recently led several of my friends to Christ, am helping with several Christian causes within my city, am helping on the frontlines of the culture war within my school, and am helping to promote my youth ministry and its cause. I've never experienced happiness and joy in my life before recently. Nowadays, though, I'm still not perfect and I have my times of sadness and feelings of being a lost cause. But I'm helping do something for the good, and that is what helps me see that things aren't meaningless. And I also see that we don't just "live and die." I'm not even mentioning anything Spiritual there (though it's true), but I'm saying that if you help someone and help do something in their lives, it will flow from them to someone else, from that person to another, and so on for eternity. Billy Graham was saved and turned into who he is because when he was young, an usher at his church did a good deed because the usher had been helped out before that. And many people who have influenced my life have either been influenced by Graham's material or been helped by direct connections with him. See the ripple? I do.

I find it interesting....

Ah the spec theory. I geuss you could say life is meaningless. It wouldnt be true but you could say it. Here, lets take a beehive. Like a factory it has it workers and jobs a processes. When a worker dies nothing is lost, and everything goes on as normal. They make honey and live to do what they were meant to. The world, however is ade up of much more. There is more than a beehive. Lets take the world and make humans the workers. They do there job and eventually die. The difference? Humans feel emotion. When a brother, or a sister, or a parent dies people feel sorrow. People do care. And that is exactly why every human matters in some way. You matter to the people that care for you, correct? We choose, and every choice we make has a consequence- good or bad- and that difference is meaning. And we do not strive are whole lives to die and go no futher. We live so that our physical body may die and our spiritual body can live with God in Heaven. So, yes, life is unperfect, yur not always happy, it can be very hard, but it is somewhat meaningless in the Christian perspective of life after death. We live to die, die to rise. Confusing yet simple, sad yet joyful! I love everything, every mystery is just another reason to live without fear! Even now, as we talk about this we are discussing a mystery. The mystery of life.

Will your feelings, choices or actions effect anything in the grand scheme of things? Will the feelings, choices or actions of your acquintances effect anything in the grand scheme of things?

Even if you do something exceptional like you invent a device which changes the way the world works there will still come a time when your influence is reduced to nothing. Even if it's only after a million years, or when the human race comes to an end there will still be a time when the greatest of deeds are forgotten.

And thats when Faith in our lord comes in. When the end times come and we are united with our bodies and spirit will we have the memory of the past? And even if not you still made a difference at some point. People dont need to remember you or that you made an invention for it to change EVERYTHING in the future o so little. So there was change caused by u forgotten or not.