DS or PSP?

Klink

Registered
Feb 22, 2006
What are you looking at?
Well here in Canada it's tax time, and I got some money back from them!

Now I'm thinking about buying a handheld system, but I can't decide between DS or PSP?

So the question is for those that play the games and have one or either system?

I'm interested in fun games: puzzle, rpg and sims are my main interests, but I also enjoy fighting, action/adventure.

Also reliability of online connections? Support?

And most importantly, which of the two plays best and has the best graphics (if there's very little difference or they're the same then nevermind).

Thanks in advance to anyone that helps!

For me, the graphics nod goes to the PSP w/o a doubt. Nothing has really wowed me on the DS, but I hear Meteos can be fun. Lumines on the PSP is okay. Burnout, GTA, Mega Man, Virtua Tennis, Prince of Persia, Midnight Club 3, & Street Fighter are great. Exit & Mercury for PSP are supposed to good too I think.

Well, if you want good games now, you've gotta go with the DS. The DS beats it in both puzzle (Meteos, Tetris DS and Pokemon Trozei) and RPGs (Mario & Luigi, Trace Memory, Lost in Blue), especially down the line with Pokemon, Zelda, Xenosaga and Tales of Tempest. The DS also has a more thorough and impressive lineup of upcoming games. Not to mention price difference. The main reason you'd get a PSP is because it you want an MP3-playing gaming device. Or you simply MUST HAVE GTA LCS. Or you want the better graphics, because there's a pretty big gap. Or because of the upcoming ability to download PS1 games to the PSP.

Personally, I'd recommend the DS. $150 with game, another game, and a spicy chicken filet biggy-sized on the way home. As opposed to the PSP which is $200, then $80 for the 1 Gig memory stick, then $40-50 for each game.

Oh, and if you like fighting games, the PSP is your thing. Darkstalkers and SF Alpha are already out on it, and Guilty Gear is coming out in May.

Klink said:
I'm interested in fun games: puzzle, rpg and sims are my main interests, but I also enjoy fighting, action/adventure.

Okay, in my opinion, DS has better puzzle games just by a hair. PSP has Lumines (Damn fun game), Exit, PQ: Practical Intelligence Quotient, and Ultimate Block Party. DS has Meteos, Tetris DS, and Pokemon Trozei, as spudly stated. Bust-A-Move DS and Bomberman are also some solid DS puzzle games. PSP's other puzzle games are just...terrible. STAY AWAY FROM SMART BOMB.

As for RPG, my nod goes to the PSP. Sure DS has Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Xenosaga Episode I & II (the series, too boring for me), but it doesn't have the selection of RPGs that the PSP does. Also, remember who is the king of RPGs right now, Sony. PS2 has all of the hits and cult favorites. PSP has Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, PoPoLoCrois, Kingdom of Paradise, and the upcoming Monster Hunter and Blade Dancer games. I wouldn't be surprised if the PSP gets several more RPG titles such as Star Ocean or Final Fantasy.

Sims, DS. Trauma Center: Under the Knife wins it.

Action/Adventure and fighting of course goes to PSP. Watch for Tekken. GTA: LCS will give you the Action/Adventure love, along with the new Daxter and Syphon Filter games.

Not dissing the PSP or anything, but I play my DS every day. It may go down as my favorite system ever.

And the fact that it has big games like New Super Mario Bros. and Zelda coming out makes me love it more.

KingKRool said:
Okay, in my opinion, DS has better puzzle games just by a hair. PSP has Lumines (Damn fun game), Exit, PQ: Practical Intelligence Quotient, and Ultimate Block Party. DS has Meteos, Tetris DS, and Pokemon Trozei, as spudly stated. Bust-A-Move DS and Bomberman are also some solid DS puzzle games. PSP's other puzzle games are just...terrible. STAY AWAY FROM SMART BOMB.

As for RPG, my nod goes to the PSP. Sure DS has Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Xenosaga Episode I & II (the series, too boring for me), but it doesn't have the selection of RPGs that the PSP does. Also, remember who is the king of RPGs right now, Sony. PS2 has all of the hits and cult favorites. PSP has Ys: The Ark of Napishtim, PoPoLoCrois, Kingdom of Paradise, and the upcoming Monster Hunter and Blade Dancer games. I wouldn't be surprised if the PSP gets several more RPG titles such as Star Ocean or Final Fantasy.

Sims, DS. Trauma Center: Under the Knife wins it.

Action/Adventure and fighting of course goes to PSP. Watch for Tekken. GTA: LCS will give you the Action/Adventure love, along with the new Daxter and Syphon Filter games.

What about Mercury on the PSP? I thought that was a pretty good puzzle game...and I forgot about the Wario Ware and XX/XY games for puzzle games on the DS.

Anyway, for RPGs, the PSP definitely has some more traditional games. And it does have FF Crisis Core coming out. And it definitely has a handful of solid games in the RPG department. Thing is though, the DS has many more unique RPGs. You've got Trace Memory, which has so many incredibly cool puzzles that use every aspect of the DS (my personal favorite was where you had to reflect the DS screens together to find out a code). You've got Lost In Blue, where you have to go all Robinson Crusoe, and hunt, farm and all that other good stuff. You've got Castlevania, which is always good. You've got Advance Wars, which many say is the best handheld tactics game ever (not me, though, I liked Fire Emblem: SS better). And down the line, the DS really blows it away because it has so many installments from high-tier series. It has two Final Fantasies (FF3 and FFCC), Xenosaga, Tales, Zelda, Pokemon, Secret of Mana, among others.

And the DS isn't lacking in the action department,either. Metroid Prime Hunters (the highest-rated handheld FPS ever), Kirby: CC, Mario 64 DS, Resident Evil, Sonic Rush, Viewtiful Joe, and more.

The only thing I think the PSP beats the DS in is fighting games and 3d action games.

Part of where I'm hesitant is cost. It's not a big big deal, don't get me wrong.

However when I see the PSP for sale at over $200 (these are Canadian prices), when meanwhile I can get the DS for $179.00 with Animal Crossing, it does tend to sway one's adecision somewhat.

Game prices are more or less the same, except that I don't see any DS games hitting the $59.99 mark like some PSP games do.

Also what's the point OF getting PSP movies? I mean, sure I can watch a movie during a long trip, but how often do I travel alone? Very rarely! And I have an iShuffle, I don't NEED PSP to play my music.

I am leaning towards the DS, however the smaller choice of RPG's is making me somewhat leary of it, especially the great points and arguments for and against each system being stated above.

Here's another question: Battery life? How long do they last? Is there an option to plug it into something?

Screen luminosity (or however it's called) How clear/bright are the screens? Nintendo has a history of having portables with sucky dark screens (my GBC is testament to that).

Cheers in advance yet again!

spudlyff8fan said:
The only thing I think the PSP beats the DS in is fighting games and 3d action games.

What about racing games? I think they're better on the PSP.

Anyway, what games cost $60 in Canada? I don't use my PSP for music or movies either, and I don't think I ever will. As far as PSP battery life goes, it lasts for about 12 hours I think (if I'm wrong someone will correct me), but if you're playing a game that streams data like GTA:LCS, the battery life reduces drastically. You can have the system plugged in while you play though. The PSP screen is very bright and probably the best clarity of any handheld ever. The earbuds are amazing. I've never had earbuds this good. The lack of a second analog nub makes for some strange controls at times (mostly for FPS). Another con is that I think either Sony stopped including a lot of the extras the PSP used to come with so you might have to buy things like a memory stick, cleaning cloth, and earphones. By the way, I still use the 32MB stick that came with the bundle and I've never needed more space, but if you do need more space I wouldn't get the 1GB I'd go with either the 256 or 512MB. If you or anyone else gets the PSP I also recommend getting one of the screen gaurds, that way you never have to worry about big smudges and scratches.

Maverick said:
What about racing games? I think they're better on the PSP.

I would've agreed with ya til Mario Kart.

As for battery life, initially the PSP had some pretty bad battery life (only like, four hours) but more recently they've put in battery packs that make it pretty much equal to the DS. Much like the PSP, when the DS is on wifi, it goes through the battery 25-40% faster.

But don't forget, Klink, if you don't have a GBA, you then have an assload of great RPGs available.

you guys said just about every thing except SOCOM US Navy Seals Fireteam Bravo. you can battle online with it!

^Yeah, but how much is "Battling online" and how much is "Battling the camera".

SOCOM made me want to sell my PSP.

After the great Mario Kart DS and Tetris DS and the prospect of the new Super Mario Bros and Zelda! I will take the DS.

I would play a Bad Zelda (is there such a thing?) before playing another 3rd person Shooter with clunky camera anyday.

mlvassallo said:
I would play a Bad Zelda (is there such a thing?) .

Unfortunately, yes. It was a sidescroller called Zelda II. That and all the crappy side CD-i (I think that's what they were called) knock-offs that were spawned. And stay away from the Zelda cartoon as well. In a nutshell, it's the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to a great game.

Anyway, you guys are really throwing out some great info about the ever-epic PSP vs. DS battle. I'd choose the DS if you were just looking for gameplay. The PSP does have great graphics, but the sucky short battery life, expensiveness, and attempt to be an every-thing-in-one-player just knocks Sony off its usually high horse. Those are my thoughts summed up anyway. The fact that I could get a DS + 3 awesome games to the tune of $141 on eBay (that's with shipping too :p) amazed me.

Despite being a huge PS2 gamer(it is the only console I have), I recently decided to go with the DS as my handheld of choice. My reason for this was mostly game selection. The DS has some of the most original and creative games around. While the PSP has multimedia functions, the DS I think offers more potential. For example a version of Opera is being released for it, and in Japane a SD card reader is available which by and large can give the DS the same movie and music capabilities as the PSP. Plus, Nintendo properties (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, etc) are just to much fun to not play.

Meggo the Eggo said:
Unfortunately, yes. It was a sidescroller called Zelda II. That and all the crappy side CD-i (I think that's what they were called) knock-offs that were spawned. And stay away from the Zelda cartoon as well. In a nutshell, it's the most embarrassing thing to ever happen to a great game.

LOL. The CDi Zeldas (which yes, those were bad Zeldas... so that answers my question) and Zelda II are different things. Zelda II was an outstanding game, one of the best of its time. Sure, it isn't like the zelda that we are use to now- but when it came out I wouldn't put it down. Am I showing my age?

The Phillips CDi Zeldas, unfortunately, were totally Nintendo "seal of approval" products- that makes them more tragic.

go with the DS

I had two PSP since the system came out. And yes I paid $250 each time. And i'm still not impressed by the system (thank you apple for video iPod) If you want the rundown its simple.

The PSP
Cons - First you have to dish out at least $200 for the system then top it with $100 or more for a good memory card and $50 for a game grad total is almost $400. (get a 360). And think about most of the games it has. And ask yourself this do you play games more on the road or at home. If your at home most of the titles for the PSP are consel titles. Fight Night, GTA, Prince of Persia, And a list of others. You can get for either less then the PSP price tag, and play at home. (Prince of Persa is $40 PSP, $20 PS2). To me you better have good sorce of income.

Pros - It has Lumines. This is like Tetris on crack. This game is the reason i bought two PSP. once I got rid of the first one I yerned for that game its really the best game the system has because its a quick fix. Most PSP titles require more of a setting. the system plays Movies great. The hacking of the system is pure fun. I've hacked everything to my system from NES games to GBA games and upgraded software and downgraded software. Putting movies on the mem stick saves money too. Make sure you have at least a 2gig $200 I think.

The DS
Cons - None i see here on this system. But graphics are not that great here. Most games take time to get used to. Playing with the touch pad on some games sucks. Its only for playing games nothing more :(

The Pros - If you buy this you come out cheaper and to me thats a plus. The games you get are addictive. Trama Center looks corny but you can get sucked in. Nintendogs everyone clowns it but you play it your life is over. Mario Kart, and A list of others Nintendo just keeps puttin out GAMES key word GAMES. And WiFi is the only way to go for online play. Plus the new DS lite look great.

All in all the PSP will cost you $250 system $50 game, $200 for a good size memstick (2gig trust me you'll need it). Your total comes to $500. at least. but with all the hacking you will get your money's worth. The DS will cost you $200 for system and 2 games at least. With all the money you save buy a 30 gig iPod (you can put videos and music on that n have more memory then the PSP). But this is just me So ask your self this do you want to play games and have somethin new to mes with or play the same games you play at home and due hacking at home. Go with the DS n a iPod you'll be happier and save money for future DS games.

PSP all the way. I have both. DS is the biggest waste of money. Also ps2 is better in everyway except it is a little more exspensive. STill if you are willing to pay for the best. Go for the psp

In my opinion DS is the most innovate system thats come out since the original Playstation. It has made video games fun again.

Now I know what you are about to say, but hear me out...

Most video games nowadays are like going to the movies. It has alot of wow and special effects, which are cool, but you loose the interactivity. Sure you have a controler, but with all the video games now, its all about presentation and graphics. Even with games like GTA thats allows you to free roam, I still feel distanced.

The DS's innovation in the way you play games, captured the essance of video games. Games like GTA were so fun when they first came out because they were original. In the past few years video games just seem to be copycats of eachother and lost its edge. The DS and soon to be the Revolution brings that edge back cause there games are not like anyother.

Well put Hank. Games should be fun and fun only not how much power or how many things look good. You must ask your self this. Why Do you play games ppl why. TO HAVE FUN the Games now a days dont have that. Thats why I hope Nintendo Does well with Rev to prove to Sony and Microsoftto rethink where they are going withthe market