Do you use emulators?

g2narat

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
My brother used to have a couple of emulator programs so he could play classic games on his PC. I used those to play dr.Mario and those other games that made me nostalgic. I can't seem to find those programs he used though. The ones I've seen seem complicated to use. Do you use them? If so, which particular emulator can you recommend?

Reactions: Mark Mulkeen
I'm not an expert on the best emulators to use or anything, but in my experience Project 64 is good for the N64, SNes9x for the SNES, VisualBoyAdvance for the GBA, and JNES or Nestopia for the NES. Coolrom.com is a good website for downloading the emulators (all emulators are rated in terms of how good they are) and has a large variety of games to get.

I do and I've tried most of them but unfortunately it isn't as easy to install on a Mac. By now I've tried most emulators and the only one I have yet to try is the PS2 which from what I heard would require a very good computer and it's partly why I'm trying to save up for a very good one.

I played plenty of them back in college. Especially for the N64 after I found out how many good games I missed out on when I was studying in high school.

Project 64 was the one I used but I went as far back as the SNES (snes9x) and NES (JNES). I played a gameboy emulator to for Link's Awakening. I really loved that game. :)

I do sometimes, like I wanted to play some N64 and Wii/Gcube games, so I got an emulator for that. All I actually wanted to do on both was play Super Smash Bros. with my brothers, so yeah. I really love SSB though, so I just had to use an emulator, since I didn't have the game or the wii, or the gcube, or the n64.

Wow! Thanks for the recommendations! I'll check these out when I can. Hopefully they're not as complicated to use as the ones I found.

I've never used an emulator or had the slightest desire to. I don't really enjoy 'the classics' (or modern games with their style even) to begin with and if I wanted to give them a shot I'd want to do it legally.

Emulators are useful to experience the games when you don't have access to the consoles themselves. But i can never play an emulated game for very long, it just feels wrong.

I would much rather play the games on their original hardware.

My only my experience emulating was getting Phantasy Star II running on my Android phone. I only did it because I got halfway through it on my iPhone and when I switched to Android it wasn't in the store. Given the option I would have bought it again.

Not sure if it counts, but I use dosbox or something like that to play the first two warcraft games.

I'm pretty sure this counts, so here goes. I have a GBA emulator on my Iphone that is awesome! I can play Pokemon games and even Super Mario that I couldn't normally play anywhere else. Tons of fun, and all for free! I couldn't be happier with it.

I mainly use GBA and DS emulators for the numerous handheld Nintendo games, and Pokemon. It's great that it can run on devices like mobile phones without very high specs.

I also run Bluestacks, it's an Android emulator for PC allowing me to playing numerous phone games on my computer.

Yes. I've used emulators before. In my opinion the games are no longer in production and they're more a part of history than something that should be sold in modern day. It's completely fine in my opinion to use emulators to play old classics from your childhood.

I've used Dolphin emulator for gamecube and nestopia/zsnes/visualboy for nintendo stuff.

I used to be a big fan of emulators. From Virtual GBA, MAME to ePSXe for PS roms. Although the experiences was unmatch with the real emulators, that feeling when I completed the Pokemon collections in Pokemon series or defeated the last boss in FF Tactics remained as awesome as ever. Those were the best moments ever when I was a kid, and proud to be born in 1990s!

Yeah, finding old hardware is expensive and then you need tvs and hookups and the games and gotta hope they work. Gotten too many games at flea markets/yard sales that didn't work at all.

I used to play PCSX1. We kinda missed to play old games like Suikoden 1 and 2 and of course other games as well. And now, since we are already have work and I'm in college, we don't have time to play.

Shure thing I use emulators, it’s always a good thing to bring old memories back and pay homage to classic games. Being a PS3 owner I was really angry when they removed PS2 compatibility, but I continue to use my computer for emulating and homebrew emulators on my PS3. With diferent game systems come and go it’s always a pleasure to go back in time and become a kid again and play, let’s say, dendy games:) It is also a good way for our kids and their kids to know what it was like when we were young. And of course it expands your knowledge as a gamer. Is it bad? Well, I think not, if it wasn’t for emulators I myself wouldn’t have known a lot of games.

Yes I played a bit a couple years back for nostalgia. Not anymore though. I play games on my PS3 or games I buy for the computer. Nostalgia is one thing and actually enjoying the game is another.

I played most Super Nintendo and Nintendo on an emulator. You can revisit game you played and games you wished you played in your youth. I wish they would make a PS3 emulator already.