Did you ever own a Gameboy Color?

devilishomar

Registered
Nov 18, 2014
Remember the days when games had so low-res graphics that you could literally see the pixels in the game you were playing. I remember playing Pokemon Red and Robocop on mine during a large chunk of my childhood.

I miss those graphics where there were literally only two colors (black was always one). Pokemon Red was literally just black and a subtle red in the graphics. You could expect something similar for Blue and Yellow.

What games did you play on your Color, if you ever owned one?

jsscjcbs

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
I mostly played Pokémon Red to. The only game I had for Gameboy Color was Pokemon. That game will forever be classic. I favor those throw back games more then some of the games out today. With the old games you can see were your going more vividly and your surroundings.

Reactions: allarijit

bigbrain50

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
Jamaica
Unfortunately my first Nintendo Console was the Game Cube, but I did end up getting a Gameboy Advanced SP and later on a Gameboy Advanced DS, I immensely enjoy products from Nintendo they're like an institution in the Gaming World, I grew up with them, and its hard sometimes hearing their financial woes.

dpatel304

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
I did not. My first Nintendo console was the SNES. I did end up buying a Gamegear as a kid. If I actually knew anything about either console, I could have definitely traded the gamegear for the Gameboy Color. The Gamegear had a nice screen, but battery life sucked and it was bulky as heck. The Gameboy color had a pretty terrible screen, but a fantastic library of games. A few of my friends had one, so I would play theirs from time to time. I was hooked on Pokemon for the gameboy color.

The better question should be, did anyone here own a Virtual Boy..lol :)

SyCB

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
I had many games on my Gameboy Color, and my favorite would definitely be Pokemon Red. Fortunately I can recreate the experience with the tons of emulators available.

Nickchick

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
I had a Game Boy Color. It was green and I ended up spilling milk on it. Eventually I ended up with a Game Boy Advance and then an SP.
I mostly played Pokemon Blue on the Color. I can't remember what else.

Reactions: devilishomar

Purrdy

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
I had the purple see-through GBC. Got a silver GBA after that, skipped the SP and got a blue DS. Somehow lost the DS (I have no idea how!) and then got a DS Lite. After that broke, no more consoles. I once had a PS1 and a PS2, but those either died or got thrown out. A better question would be did anyone here ever own a power glove.
Pokémon Crystal (I believe) was the first Pokémon game I ever played. I had Conker on GBC, some sort of Santa game and a few others (not that I can remember them.)

joshposh

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
trafficmonsoon.com
I had the original gameboy black and white. So yeah, that was old school. I used that little guy for long commutes to and from college. Makes the time go by quicker on the bus.

t0wering1

Registered
Nov 15, 2014
The only reason I got a Gameboy Color was to play Pokemon. Currently, my only DS games are still just Pokemon. I might as well just call it my Pokemon Machine.

Reactions: devilishomar

Fox121

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I had one! It was yellow. I played a lot of Pokemon. I also had a lot of cartoon games, like Barbie. I was really young when I had the GameBoy Color, so you can't get mad at me for having games like that. I was too young to know that they weren't that great. I also had a PowerPuff Girls game and some kind of Rugrats game. I don't remember the names of the two specifically, I just remember them from old memories. I played a lot of weird games in general, with the exception of Pokemon.

Purrdy

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
I remember (I don't know if you guys did or not) but whenever I had my Gameboy with me and I had my games etc in a bag or case (can't remember which I had), I always carried a packet of AA batteries. I don't know how much Mum spent on batteries but it must have been over $200 in total including the cost of batteries for my GBA.

sorrowscall

Great Hero Rosayln(Okage)
Registered
Nov 9, 2014
I had a yellow Gameboy Color for years. I started with Pokemon Blue and eventually worked my way up to Pokemon Gold and some other games that I just didn't care about. Yeah, I pretty much had the game for Pokemon. However, when we were moving away from North Carolina since my dad was going to Iraq, I gave it to him since by then the Game Boy Advance was already out and he'd probably need it more than me anyway.

Scottf13

Registered
Nov 21, 2014
I never had the Gameboy Color. I had the original Gameboy. It was glorious at the time. I mean, a Nintendo that you could hold in your hand and play? Seriously, that was great!

allarijit

Registered
Nov 17, 2014
I mostly played Pokémon Red to. The only game I had for Gameboy Color was Pokemon. That game will forever be classic. I favor those throw back games more then some of the games out today. With the old games you can see were your going more vividly and your surroundings.
Yup, I did indeed own a Gameboy Color back in the day! (Now I mostly play on the Nintendo 3DS though). And I completely agree with you! The main reason as to why I bought a Gameboy Color was because of the Pokemon series :)

Reactions: jsscjcbs

BluBird

Registered
Nov 10, 2014
Heck yes. I remember synching with other kids to battle in Pokemon. They'd always get mad that I'd win all the time because all of my Pokemon were at level 100. I used that multiplying cheat with Missingo on Cinnabar Island. :D

Goldie

Registered
Nov 10, 2014
I never owned either the Gameboy or the Gameboy color because they were a bit too expensive for us at the time and also we never were that interested in it anyway. I much preferred Sega as a console when they came out so we always preferred to have a Game Gear but unfortunately that was also a bit too expensive for us at the time as well but thankfully we already had a console to keep us busy.

JayWifi

Registered
Dec 4, 2014
I got my Gameboy Color back when I was 5 years old, and my first game I ever owned for it was Pokemon Gold. I had quiet the collection of game for the Color, which I'm glad I am still able to use on my Advance and DS. One thing I always found to be one of the Gameboy Color's best traits was the battery life. I remember on just 2 double A batteries, it would last me about 3 days compared to the new consoles that die in only a few hours. :p While I may play the 3DS a lot nowadays, I sometimes find it fun to dust off the good old Color. You can't forget about the classics!

JessiFox

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
No, I never did have a gameboy color, but I didn't really feel like I was missing out on it either, personally. I played on a few friends, but I never had my own.

Nate5

Registered
Dec 1, 2014
I went up to GBA SP. Mainly played Mario Kart and Pokemon. Still remember the rage that happens when I forget to charge it before bringing it to the toilet with me. Ah, those were the days.