Controller

Yeah, I don't know what to think either. The Nintendo fan in me (fan, not fanboy, there's a difference) thinks this could work - I'm picturing that if Nintendo and other developers actually know how to use this damn thing, it could be really cool. (I'm picturing a badass swordfighting game where you'd swing the controller like a sword.) But so many others (including Scott, cartoonist of VG Cats ) are calling this the death of Nintendo. Can't say I blame them. My head's threatening to a splode if I think about it any longer.

Sorry, BC it's on Nintendo.com as well. Maverick, interesting comment. I have liked pretty much all of the Nintendo controllers. I think the GC controller is the most ergonomical of the current generation. The only thing I think the PS2 controller has over it is the dual triggers. The thing I loved most about Super Metroid was the control scheme and that was in large part due to the controller. Just my thoughts.

ya bastard

wijg said:
Sorry, BC it's on Nintendo.com as well.

Yeah I saw it in some other places while I was at work too. Forgive me if I don't exactly trust 1UP...

I'm thinking there has to be other, more "standard" controllers or there has to be a way to retrofit them... maybe there will be controllers where this "remote" fits into them like the VMU fits into the Dreamcast controller. If this is the primary controller for the Revolution, it might really surt 3rd party software support. It would just be another hurdle in creating mutiplatform games that developers won't want to deal with. Nintendo might be left with pretty much only 1st party games, and I don't know if that's enough to keep them afloat.

Other than that, it looks pretty cool. I like the whole idea; years ago, we had this "gyropoint" mouse that you could actually pick up and use with a computer just in midair. You'd rotate and tilt it to amke the cursor move. It was awesome and really easy and natural to use, and that's what I expect this to feel like. But in the end it's a gimmick, which is what Nintendo is really fond of. The GBA.GC link thing wasn't the big deal Nintendo apparently thought it would be, so why do they expect this to be any different. Coming out with a wacky new controller is not the way to "Revolution"ize the industry; put out some freakin' games, already.

Never have I seen an event more polarizing and starting of flame wars (at least on forums other than this one). It seems like everyone is absolutely black and white about this thing: it's either the best or the worst idea ever, and that it will either kill Nintendo or immortalize it. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one with a middle-ground opinion on this: that I'm cautiously optimistic. It could be cool, but developers have to know how to use the damn thing and not make it look like a mere gimmick.

(No offense to anyone who posted on here already, I'm not pointing any fingers. :point: )

After seeing some footage of the controller in action from G4's TGS coverage, I've changed my mind. It still looks quite stupid, but the possiblities seem very useful & cool. Using it as the bat, in a baseball game, the club in golf, a weapon in a fighting game, maybe you could detach the cord and mount the sensor to a light gun peripheral and use it in shooters/FPS, et cetera. I'm actually pretty excited about it.

But I do stand by my earlier statement that Nintendo's controllers have sucked since the Super Nintendo. When I was younger the SNES's controller actually hurts my hands every time I used it (and that started my hatred for the big 'N' controllers). They're always so odd shaped. I don't think they made any control scheme feel more natural or easier to pull off. It just seemed to me that there was no practical reason to shape the controllers in those ways, other than to just be different.

Webimpulse said:
It could be cool, but developers have to know how to use the damn thing and not make it look like a mere gimmick.

Well, that's the thing; Nintendo seems to be relying on developers to make its hardware appealing. Hopefully they can come out with some good 1st party games which take advantage of this controller that encourage 3rd party developers to do the same.

It looks like the Revolution will take the same position that the GC did; the perfect second console, if you already have Sony or Microsoft's box. That's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as Nintendo doesn't mind being that part of the market.

I just read the 1UP article and I have to say that it's a bold move from the Nintendo. It's along the lines of the Virtual Boy and the Nintendo DS (and, to some extent, Sony's Eye Toy)-- they seem to be interested in creating unique controllers to promote innovation in game development.

Obviously the system will sell because it's from Nintendo, but the real question is will Nintendo be a distant third this time around as it was with the last crop of console systems?

I found the NES and SNES controller to be quite comfortable, though the NES controller is now a bit small due to my hands growing as I got older. ;) I never owned an N64, but found it a bit unwieldy and honestly don't care much for the GC controller. The Z button is located in a bit too subtle of a position, but having a dedicated stick for the camera is a nice feature.

i say they will be only left with games that have multiple mini games on the disc. i just cant see playing metroid or final fantasy, or any of the ORIGINAL games you can download

Corey: Yeah, well, uh, just keep your Power Gloves off her, pal, huh?

Lucas: I love the Power Glove. It’s so bad

Corey played by Fred Savage in all his 80's goodness

Lucas of course had the power glove as his ultimate weapon.

Don't you miss the 80's?

has anyone here used a Guncon for PSOne or PS2. After level two, you arm and hand kill. I hope this isnt going to be the case with this Rev. Controller.

Plus, Nintendo is going to have a hard time getting 3rd party support now. Like right now, many games are ported to ps2, xbox, and gc. however, is not going to be the case with the Rev. Every game will be unique, which can be a good thing, but it can also be its downfall. And can you image playing Zelda, Metroid, Pokemon, or a Mario with that thing. could be tough.