Cell Phones

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
What is the latest and greatest cell phone today? how is the iPhone? Worth the $. I was considering upgrading my blackberry to the Pearl (there are commercials for it). Anything worth recommending?

There's a lot to recommend out there, but for flagship phones, I'd say going with any of them is a good choice. If you're looking for a mid range phone that's definitely worth the money, the Moto G is worth taking a look at. But in my opinion, the OnePlus One is the best phone out there.

It depends what you want to do with the phone and which screen size is most comfortable for you. I wouldn't bother with iPhone, unless you want to try for a while. They hold their value better than any other phones and so you wouldn't lose much money after selling one with few weeks or months of use.

I have tried Android phones, iPhones and Windows phones. And if I had to choose from those three, I would definitely go with Android, and I have. Android phones give you a lot more options for customization, a wider range of apps and just an easy to use phone. An android is, basically, like a small computer. If you don't like the way the android OS looks, then go for either the iPhone or one of the Windows phones (my recommendation would be a Nokia Lumia, one with better specifications). I like Windows phones, more than iPhones. One problem, tho, about them, is that on some Lumia phones, you can't even use your Facebook app. The app was made for a more powerful phone, and that model just can't run it. I think it was the Lumia 620 that can't run the app.

It depends a lot of what you want, but for gaming forget it, they are no good. For the occasional time waster fine, but serious gaming on the phone it's impossible.

I hear good things about the Galaxy S5, however their app store is no where as extensive as Apples', But I agree with Peninha, phones aren't good for gaming. I personally have an iPad (Mainly for business use) that I have a couple of games on, but I play them mainly to waste time ;)

I personally prefer the Iphone though it does have its disadvantages too. I had an Android phone and I hate it. Of course it is a crappy phone anyway but I don't really like the Android OS. I have a tablet that's Android and that's okay but I don't really use it for much. They have more apps on the Google play store but it's filled with junk. The App store on IOS has high standards so you can be sure that you'd find more quality apps. Plus IOS is just more user friendly in general.

I personally prefer the Iphone though it does have its disadvantages too. I had an Android phone and I hate it. Of course it is a crappy phone anyway but I don't really like the Android OS. I have a tablet that's Android and that's okay but I don't really use it for much. They have more apps on the Google play store but it's filled with junk. The App store on IOS has high standards so you can be sure that you'd find more quality apps. Plus IOS is just more user friendly in general.

IOS definitely has the better App store. I've personally never had an Android phone, mainly because I disliked their App store so much! However, like you said, Apple products do have their disadvantages!

I don't know the App store is somewhat limited, if we are using android there's a never ending world of apps we can install in our phone.

I was never a fan of mobile gaming. While there are a few game out there with a decent story line and engaging, for the most part it causes me eye strain and nothing more.

IOS app store is more regulated, therefore somewhat fewer fake apps and bad games are there, but there is still a ton. I play some paid games sometimes on Android, most of those are a bit higher quality than F2P ones, but not that higher.

What kind of phone you buy really depends on what you need. The iphone is expensive, but in my opinion, it's worth the investment because it has a great quality. Of course, the options are infinite, just choose the one that suits your needs the most.

It seems like the best mobile games are on Android for sure.

I have no question about this really, I mean, android is way more versatile than Apple, but let's face it, on the phone we have mostly time wasters, not real gaming.

What is the latest and greatest cell phone today? how is the iPhone? Worth the $. I was considering upgrading my blackberry to the Pearl (there are commercials for it). Anything worth recommending?
Any Android powered phone is good compared to other phones.This type of phones are superior in almost every aspect and one can never go wrong with them.

That's not exactly the case jeremy, the android phone of my wife, a Samsung something, was extremely cheap and is extremely limited, so it's better to invest something to get a good phone.

I'm currently using an Android phone, and so far, I'm very satisfied with how it works. iPhones somehow give me a hard time. I think it's too complicated for my taste. I'm not sure with Window phones though, I haven't tried them.

That's not exactly the case jeremy, the android phone of my wife, a Samsung something, was extremely cheap and is extremely limited, so it's better to invest something to get a good phone.
Well that's because Android phones cater to a wide range of price brackets. Your wife might have bought a mid-range phone with limited capabilities. High end Android phones outperform the iPhone in functionality and versatility and are very much geared toward power users and the tech-savvy.

I would get an Android because they are the coolest phones available right now. The Android operating system has no competitor at this moment and any decent phone with Android will be great to have.

Define limited. Even if I look at possibly the cheapest Android phone on the market, the Moto E, the only limitatio I see is that it has a bad camera, and even then, what are you even doing taking pics with a phone if you care about the quality of photos.