Browser-Based Games

ockham

Ironically Sincere
Registered
Dec 10, 2014
Anyone here do browser-based games? Ones that only require you log in to its website?

I tried to play OGame. Honestly, I think the game takes itself too seriously. The mechanics are a pain in the rear to get my head around. I also tried Ikariam, a similar game made by the same company. It's a little more casual but still sooo complex. I might just return to it, though.

I usually don't play browser-based games. Occasionally a round of chess or some mini games, but for the most part I don't. I went crazy with playing card games online yesterday though.

I'm a terrible gamer, I tend to be too hung up on good graphics to enjoy a game without them. Unless the graphics are great or in 8-bit, I generally don't like them.

I used to play a few browser based MMO's. I can't remember the names for the life of me though lol.

I used to play Runescape and Neopets way back as a kid. Honestly I don't really see the appeal of browser games anymore since with much faster internet speed, better disk space and computer processing power it makes much more sense to have a game client.

I've been a sucker for these all through growing up. I like the concept but usually they're riddled with pay2win and some are also just horrible. I only play one browser game anymore and that is PPM(Power play manager). It's a hockey manager game and it's not too bad. :)

I've played alot of them in the past though. Omerta/Barafranca, Runescape, Travian, Gladiatus just to name a few...

One of the best browser based games is undisputably KoL (Kingdom of Loathing). It was originally released in 2003, quite a long time for an online game to live, and so far the game has evolved to have lots of content, multiplayer clan dungeons, and at the same time it still kept the great humour it started with.

Reactions: ockham
I used to play Newgrounds games all the time back in the day. Not so much any more.

I played Neopets, Myspace Games, and Facebook games a lot before. With smart phones, children are playing games on their more since it is more convenient.

I've been a sucker for these all through growing up. I like the concept but usually they're riddled with pay2win and some are also just horrible. I only play one browser game anymore and that is PPM(Power play manager). It's a hockey manager game and it's not too bad. :)

I've played alot of them in the past though. Omerta/Barafranca, Runescape, Travian, Gladiatus just to name a few...

Agree with this, the problem isthat most of these games are f2p with and you quickly get to the point where playing is more aggravating then anything unless you pay, and once you start paying, you have to keep paying to be competitive with other players. I do not mind microtransactions, but a lot of these games are set up to constantly require purchases, it isn´t like you buy something like inventory or a new class, you buy something that expires quickly.

One of the best browser based games is undisputably KoL (Kingdom of Loathing). It was originally released in 2003, quite a long time for an online game to live, and so far the game has evolved to have lots of content, multiplayer clan dungeons, and at the same time it still kept the great humour it started with.

Oh gosh, I miss my KoL. I remember there was a user with a higher rank than me who saw I was equipped quite dismally for my rank. Guess I wasn't too good at it. >.>

One of the things I actually dislike about browser-based games a la OGame and Ikariam is simply how long it takes to do things. It's like, four hours to raid a base? I'd prefer my gaming experience to have more... instant results.

Browser based games are always thought to be limited in certain aspects. These games often don't run as smoothly as playing a client game, and the graphics are not as good. Although, these games are easily accessible as anyone with the internet can play if it is free. Some of these games are very fun and addictive, but I think that depends on the type of game. For example, a lot of flash games are quite simple and there are not that many hours required to complete the game. On the other hand, MMOs have a vast map and endless things to do. The desire to keep improving in these games can be addicting. One example is RuneScape, where people played for the unique style of game and didn't mind the graphics or other limiting factors too much.

I used to played alot of these such as Runescape, Miniclips, Newgrounds while back in high school. I've found going back to these lately just doesn't have the same spark these days. Is there any games at the moment that people recommend?

I played Neopets and Gaia Online in the past, during my younger days, and a few months back I got super tempted to revisit Neopets - but unfortunately (or fortunately?) I can remember neither my password nor the email address I used for Neopets.

I've since moved on to Flight Rising, which is another browser-based virtual pets site. With dragons! It's pretty fun, if you overlook the drama going on behind-the-scenes. I know my younger cousin was really big with Runescape in the past, too, but I think he's moved on to League of Legends.

...I can't remember what browser-based games are since I haven't been playing that many games on my laptop (I use it for work and leisure already so spending hours on games seemed a bit much haha) but are Kongregate games considered a browser-based game? Because I play those sometimes. Mostly Kingdom Rush and nerdook games because nerdook games look so simple but it's so addicting! I always insist just one more level but it ends up going on indefinitely...

I remeber KoL, it was a really silly parody of many MMORPGs but it worked! I spent many afternoons grinding for meat (how's that for a currency!)

I've played a couple of Browser games. One in particular, Wartune, was one that I played for a while. I do not, however, recommend getting into Wartune. It's one big pay-to-win game, that'll leave you frustrated.

I played Runescape for a day. That game gets very boring very quickly. I was never fascinated by browser games.

Yes most of your Facebook games are browser games, and I play a lot of those :) especially Texas holdem poker. But I like a lot of browser games especially tower defense games. I am always attracted to tower defense games, i even have a lot of starcraft and warcraft tower defense maps.

There is this FPS game called BeGone which is pretty good for a browser-based game. You don't even have to register just get in the game with a nickname. The graphics are amazing even do it's a Unity game. I usually play it when I have nothing else to do.

There is this FPS game called BeGone which is pretty good for a browser-based game. You don't even have to register just get in the game with a nickname. The graphics are amazing even do it's a Unity game. I usually play it when I have nothing else to do.
Begone is pretty good, I've sunk a few hours into it. Like you guys, I was also obsessed with Runescape and Neopets when I was younger. Now though, the extent of my browser gaming is focused mostly on incremental games, like Clicker Heroes or Cookie Clicker. I don't need much time to play these, and it's quite satisfying to see a large number get even larger =D

I used to play a lot of these back then but now that there's so many other alternatives I don't as much anymore. I do agree that it's much better when they are simple because the controls usually aren't efficient enough to make complicated games good.