black victims of usa

blak_priest

Registered
Sep 18, 2005
T0_-1_657769.jpg

The Associated Press caption accompanying the image of a black male says he just finished "looting" a grocery store. The AFP/Getty Images caption describes lighter skinned people "finding" bread and soda from a grocery store. No stores are open to sell these goods.

New Orleans, Sept. 1, 2005 - It's a crime. From what you're hearing, the people trapped in New Orleans are nothing but "lootres". We're told we should be more "neighborly." But nobody talked about being neighborly until the people who could afford to leave … left

There are gangs of white vigilantes near here riding around in pickup trucks, all of them armed, and any young Black person they see who they figure doesn't belong in their community, they shoot him.

But nobody cares. They're just lawless looters ...it's dangerous out here

The hurricane hit at the end of the month, at the time when poor people are most vulnerable. Food stamps don't buy enough for about three weeks of the month, and by the end of the month everyone runs out. Now they have no way to get their food stamps or any money, so they just have to take what they can to survive.

Every day countless volunteers are trying to help, but they're turned back. anyway Almost all the rescue that's been done has been done by volunteers only .

here is the real truth, they were watching our need for help .Americans die and suffer because they are afraid of us African Americans and other poor races & it make me mad because these scums are just sitting around while people die . it is disgusting.

they can't even take care of our affairs here in America, how are they going to help other country's when this place is a hell hole. It made me sick to see Veterans dying and they fault for this country like my dad, & my step brother is now fighting in Iraq & even he called me & said that he feels ashamed & appalled at what he has seen this week from our
fake government and country .

I'm not saying either of you people (spudlyff8fan or Stan) flamed this guy, but he does make some valid points, and he (or she) certainly has the right to say them, so others, please don't flame him.

I think a more productive response would be to create an off-topic forum (or actually use such an area more if it already exists) for discussions like this. To my knowledge we don't have such an area of our forum (forgive my lack of observation if there is one), but instead of saying "I wonder when this comes out on the Xbox" (no offense, Stan, I know you didn't mean any intentional harm), it would be better if we made an Off-Topic area, or if there already is one, move this thread to that area.

Because, like it or not, us gamers have to deal with these real life issues. Our world is not some impenetrable bubble where only the games matter. Hurricane Katrina, and its even more horrible aftermath, are issues that we, as the gamer community, must take seriously, if we ever hope to find mainstream acceptance, or even acceptance period.

Last edited:
This guy is more than entitled to make his statement here. That's what a forum is for. I saw these images and the terms applied to the people in both of them shortly after Katrina hit and I thought it was a particularly disgusting commentary as well. Snopes has a partty good take on that particular issue.

I think what Stan and Steve are responding to is the fact that this guy comes in here, has never participated before, leaves his mark, and then most likely is gone forever. I seriously doubt he's stuck around to what what, if any response he gets, and he's probably done this in dozens of otherforums. This is a simple cut and paste for him. It's the Internet equivalent of graffiti -- no matter how well-intentioned. If we knew this person, if he was interested into some kind of discussion here, maybe he would be taken more seriously. It's the way in which is message was presented that drew a bit of scorn, not the message itself.

Thats really f%$#ed up. But what do you expect? America talks a good game about it's citizens coming together, but most of the time thats all it is. Stuff like this has been going on forever. My instructor a few years ago (who was white by the way, if it matters to anyone) told the class that news stations are more likely to show the pictures of black people who break the law than they are to show the picture of whites. So I paid close attention for a week and she was right. I mean watch Cops for crying out loud, they show mostly blacks getting arrested , and it used to be even more lopsided when it first came on. Its just something everyone has to deal with. No one said life would be fair.

ya i'm sad to say that nobody's really shocked by this. and the world is full of problems.

it's pretty hard to convince someone to really care about a problem. i mean i guess i care about as much as anybody else, but what it comes down to is whether someone is compelled enough to go out and make a difference.

now, i have all the respect in the world for people who do everything they can to make a difference. but i'm not about to go broke by donating money i can't afford to give away to people i don't know. doesn't matter what they look like. that is the government's job and by paying taxes and being a citizen of our nation, these people should be taken care of. and i also dont believe everything i hear on the news. i could give two shits what words people use. i hope that most of us can cut through the muck and come to our own conclusions sometimes.

anyway. i would not really be helping anybody if i quit my job and traveled down south to help out either. i sure thought about it. but another thing that's important is for people to continue to live life in some sense of normalcy.

when you get down to it, people just end up doing things out of guilt. humans are the only animals that really have concepts such as guilt, , doubt, remorse and regret. and politicians try to use those things to get your vote. every major disaster or issue just becomes so politicized...that's what's really sickening.

and another thing: it's sad that red cross got all the money. they don't rebuild homes. try habitat for humanity if any readers are looking to make donations.

sorry i rambled but i felt like it too.

mav you make a good point. but -- and i say this without looking at statistics, so sue me or go find out for yourselves if you're curious -- its not just about what is shown on tv and what is not. thats only part of the underlying problem.

i'm gonna speak some truths here that i dont have links to but am firm in my beliefs on...and like i said before, look it up if you dont believe me.

fact. crimes occur in areas of poverty. less money equals more crime.

fact. large percentages of these areas are often populated by minorities.

as such, often times it IS minorities commiting crimes.

why? because our society does not give enough opportunity to minorities. they are underpaid or cannot find work because they can't escape their surroundings. people have almost no chance of raising above their economic class within a lifetime. so segregation continues but more importantly, minorities are viewed as criminals more and more and cannot escape the stereotypes...and therefore have an even more difficult time of escaping their socio-economic class.

if you paid attention to this post and think i am being racist, i urge you to read more carefully and slowly before flaming me.

I'm not shocked because I don't believe half the stuff he said. I believe the looting/finding thing, that's not really something you can deny, but could could also be just an editor's PC-slip, or maybe he didn't want to say loot twice. If he DID, then he sucks. But the whole racial purification thing that was mentioned I seriously question. I mean, in a city that was probably 80% Black, how could that happen?

And I also don't think there's as much of a huge "OMG RACIST EMPLOYER!!!!" problem like there was in the 70s or even 80s. There are so many polls and statistic things that ensure this.

Things happen every day that most of us couldn't imagine. I look at things in the news all the time and think "How could that happen?".

Wow...Well, I knew the media was evil...and racist.

Thanks Ghost for having the balls to post that. No you aren't a racist you just reposted statistics, but some will claim you are because you are a white guy.

What is more sad is that we have to jump in and say "I'm not a racist...but" before we say anything just so people don't jump to that conclusion.

While I find the posted article horrible, I find it odd that a guy who has never posted here before would post an article like that here on a video game website. What is his motive? If you ask me he was just trying to start some drama.

I don't think anybody here is a racist and I don't think anyone else would claim that just because a person is white. Even if someone was, most of us don't know each other well enough to come to that conclusion unless someone typed something racist for everyone to see.

GT stated his opinions and he has a right to do so. I agree with a lot of what he said. More crimes do occur in places of poverty. And it is hard for lower class people (not just minorities) to escape that cycle.

But my point about Cops is I saw one episode this year where a drug dealer (who seemed to be on drugs himself) was pointing a gun at some bums who also seemed high. The drug dealer kept yelling about how he should've killed the bums & refused to listen to the police orders. He was slammed to the ground and taken into police custody. And when he was asked his name he gave some slang nickname in the best English he could muster. They were all minorities and they all acted totally ignorant and foolish for the whole world to see on Cops. But a week later the police pulled over some white people who were driving while high and the episode was cut in a funny manner. For example the driver said he thought it would be okay for a pilot to smoke weed while flying a plane. Yes its foolish as well, but you can see how they were just stupid. Now my problem with this is, yes the minorities did do the things they were shown doing, but why didn't I see any episodes where a minority was caught flashing someone during Marti Gras? Why are they almost always shown comiting serious crimes? Are we to believe Cops never gets footage of petty crimes for minorities?

Beth said:
What is more sad is that we have to jump in and say "I'm not a racist...but" before we say anything just so people don't jump to that conclusion.

I'm not sure thats sadder, but I get what you're saying. But look at it from this point of view. Many minorities are somewhat paranoid in situations where a white person criticizes them, because the thinking sometime is, "Is this person criticizing me because I'm not white, or is it what they really think?" Or "Why won't that sales person help me? Is this person being an asshole to me because of my color?" And this thinking is multiplied when a person actually does encounter a racist situation. Then their defenses are up even higher. Think of how you would feels if a latino or black person was being rude to you. Wouldn't some part of you think race was a factor on some level? Maybe you wouldn't think it all the time but how about 1- 2 times out of 10? Like I've said before, we all really don't know each other very well so perhaps you wouldn't think about race at all, but most people do. Thats just how it is. There will always be difference and because of that, some people will always wonder about another race's motivation behind their actions & words.

pseudoveritas said:
While I find the posted article horrible, I find it odd that a guy who has never posted here before would post an article like that here on a video game website. What is his motive? If you ask me he was just trying to start some drama.

You're probably right.

It's important to remember that no matter what your personal feelings are and whether you personally hold prejudices or racism in your heart, there is so much institutional discrimination built into the widely accepted beliefs of this country, and it's businesses and government. While racism and sexism may not be on your mind, or you may not consider them to be important issues in your day to day live, they are prevalent and affect peoples' lives every day in small and large ways alike.

Maverick said:
I'm not sure thats sadder, but I get what you're saying. But look at it from this point of view. Many minorities are somewhat paranoid in situations where a white person criticizes them, because the thinking sometime is, "Is this person criticizing me because I'm not white, or is it what they really think?" Or "Why won't that sales person help me? Is this person being an asshole to me because of my color?" And this thinking is multiplied when a person actually does encounter a racist situation. Then their defenses are up even higher. Think of how you would feels if a latino or black person was being rude to you. Wouldn't some part of you think race was a factor on some level? Maybe you wouldn't think it all the time but how about 1- 2 times out of 10? Like I've said before, we all really don't know each other very well so perhaps you wouldn't think about race at all, but most people do. Thats just how it is. There will always be difference and because of that, some people will always wonder about another race's motivation behind their actions & words.

this is a very good observation too, mav