Best FPS Ever...... Vote now!!

For anyone who'd still like to talk about FPS's, I'll throw a few cents out on them.

Half-life 2: very pretty, nice physics, and a decent bag of fun to be had, but it felt more like a dangerous playground than a focused FPS experience. While that's what they were going for to show off their physics engine, that's not what I want in an FPS.

Should be mentioning: F.E.A.R. was far, far more enjoyable than Half-life 2. None of this Gravity Gun geek toy silliness. Great atmosphere, perfectly timed scripted events, excellent particle effects, and AI that flanks every open angle you leave. Despite ending with shooting out the reactor and then running from an explosion (not to mention a few other fun cliches), it was pretty inventive.

Halo 2: Good for a totally different reason. The AI was good, but nothing explosive or noteworthy. The charm of the game comes in the weapons and their balance as much as it comes from the strong lead character, interesting (though unfinished) story, and memorable one-liners from other characters. Every weapon in Halo 2 has a purpose all it's own (except the Alien sniper) and players with practice can all find their own combination of weapons that can be just as effective as any other. This all depends on a player's skill. Even the feared triumvirate of weapons (sword, rockets, and shotgun) can be overcome by skilled application of even the Pea-Shooter and the Pistol.

Furthermore, everything is properly balanced for the limitations of using a joystick. Thus, it becomes difficult to compare Halo 2 to a finer PC shooter, as the demands made of the input set-up are so different.

I'm trying to think hard, but my roommate has a voice like a gun-shot and I can't think straight enough for long enough to write a sentence even THIS long without having to back-track and re-read it.

Curse you, voice chat.

Unfortunately I hadn't played much FPSs before Halo, but Halo was the only FPS that I really liked back then. (That and Goldeneye.)
So my vote goes to Halo.

HA, FF7 best RPG ever, Please! Let that title be crowned upon Fallout 2 or Oblivion. As far as old school RPGs Wasteland and Dragon Wars take the cake in this guys book. Pure Classics.

The argument lies strictly in JRPG's Fallout and Oblivion are more in the Western based D&D based rpg's, that's why KOTOR doesn't count. Also Fallout was great, but how many people actually remember it?

thats the worst part, a lot of the great RPGs are hidden gems, half of my favorites were PC RPGs from back in the day. KOTOR i kinda a wierd RPG though, it has all the elements, it's just not your D&D rules based RPG.

It really is the most D&D-like RPG you can come across, though. Hell, the tutorials even address the variable attack stats as "rolls."

Yes it does have the D&D STR, DEX, CON, yada yada. But it really dosen't feel like a D&D game which makes it so different and probably so good too. See Baldurs Gate for a real D&D feel..

actually I do know that Baldur's gate does include more D&D rules than KOTOR, due to the dungeon crawling and all it felt less like it. In my mind anywho. You know stats weren't as important, equipment was the way to go, hell in Kotor I hated leveling up do to the whole stat build and abilities and all that crap.

leveling up is the best part of any RPG! even in FFX with all those stupid leveling up mazes it was still fun. I guess because that was probably one of the most original systems for character development i've seen. Just sucks you didn't know if the powers you got were good untill you got them. developing a character is an artform though. Like all art, some people find different characters more appealing and rewarding than others.

Level marathons are fun if they're not necessary. If you need to spend three hours killing goblins before entering a dungeon, then again once you make it to the boss, it's no longer fun. I'll refer you to Final Fantasy 1-6.

I rather have an original leveling up and learn certain original skills at certain levels, and by doing so have completely different characters, than power level up and have everybody be exactly the same, the only difference being what weapons and armor I choose.

yeah, thats why i like the Fallout 2 system, theres so many ways to customize it's redonkulous. Plus it makes each party different depending on what classes you include in each. Here's to Bards tale!!

I don't mean along the lines of job system, because with a job system you can have pretty much a set amont of the exact same character, more along the lines of the snes classic breath of fire II, you had about 6 completely different characters, the higher the level and a new skill was learned automatically. Then you could fuse 2 characters together to form a new one, such as Sten the monkey and the Katt formed some big strong gorrilla, or the two worthless characters, that fat frog and that plant guy, no matter what the level they completely sucked, you fused them together and they turned into this badass toad that was even better than the main character. They tweaked the system in the sequels where you would still have set character skills but you also had a job system that pertained more to mentors, sigh I miss 16 and 32 bit JRPG's.

Yeah, but this is the game that made me want to play FPS. I not much of a FPS fan cause they are all pretty much all the same game with different guns. But I couldn't stop playing Golden Eye64 years after its release. I only played Halo for a month or so after it came out, and Halo2 got old even faster. Half-Life was good, but I don't play a large amount of PC games. This is just my opinion. And FYI I still play GoldenEye64.

Then it's settled, Goldeneye is the greatest FPS ever. Closely followed by Half-life and Halo. Glad that we've all agreed upon that.