Best FPS Ever...... Vote now!!

Halo is by no means the cream of the crop, yes I've played it, yes I enjoyed it, but the single player experience is not what it's about, it's so obiously multiplayer. If Halo had no multiplayer whatsoever we wouldn't still be talking about it today, same thing for Goldeneye, but unlike Halo, Goldeneye had a pretty good single player campaign. In my eyes, Halo overshadowed many of the truly great FPS experiences on the XBOX, Breakdown had one freaky sci-fi story, sweet melee combat, and some good "holy S**T" moments. I'll take Chronicles of Riddicks single player over Halo's 1 and 2. Did I also forget to mention Deus Ex 2? Project Snowblind? Rainbow Six 3? Half Life 2? Oddworld Strangers Wrath? Now before this turns into a Halo argument, my pick is the 1st Deus Ex.

If you remove a massive portion of any good game, it'd suck. Why not just break the disk in half and see how good it is?

Ok and how are we judging this? Is the best FPS the one that has the best multiplayer? Or single player? How do we go about this? Both Halo's were good, but multiplayer was what made that game what it is? Sure it kicks every other XBX FPS game out there due to the multiplayer aspect, but as far as Single I'll take many other games over it, and the story is not as good as some people make it out to be, it helps to read those damn novels.

Well, cmon. Metroid Prime 2 was good because of the single player, but the multiplayer blew. Half Lfe 2 was good because of the hype, but its single and multiplayer blew. You have to look at the entirety of a game before saying it is better or worse than another game.

Good call on the Chronicles of Riddick Korrupt, the lack of Multiplayer puts it down a notch, but the single player part of that game and the graphics for being a Xbox game. But seriously, we really have to take a overall look at these games, not just elements of them. Not all of the early games could have multiplayer. So that can't be a deciding factor.

spudlyff8fan said:
Well, cmon. Metroid Prime 2 was good because of the single player, but the multiplayer blew. Half Lfe 2 was good because of the hype, but its single and multiplayer blew. You have to look at the entirety of a game before saying it is better or worse than another game.
And Halo was good because of the multiplayer, yet the single player was lacking. So whats the point? And Halo had a hell of a lot more hype than half life, hell Halo 3 is how many months away and fanboys are staining their pants over the littlest freakin detail, hell some people are going to go as far as to pay for the demo, The freaking demo!? So in other words, Halo is more hype than game. Not the second coming of Jesus in FPS form as many are willing to believe. Better yet, Halo is the Final Fantasy VII of FPS, some hate it some will kill their first born for it, good game? Yes, Great game? why not. Best FPS, F**K No!

That was my retort to your saying "lol, it's a pretty bad game if you remove all the above-average aspects of it, lol."

But Half Life is like the Martha Stewart of video games. Nobody actually believes it's good. It's just that since Half Life 2 is the only near-passable PC game remaining much like how Martha Stewart is one of the only massively successful women, their supporters would rally behind them, no matter how blatantly mediocre or obviously guilty they are.

On the other hand, nobody can deny that Halo is the American Idol of games. It's a gathering point for morons. Yeah, there are some half wits, and lots of most-wits, but its main base is largely filled with morons. But unlike American Idol, there are some genuinely redeeming factors that DO set Halo apart from its peers. So in that way, just because the majority of players of Halo are stupid doesn't mean that it isn't a good game. But it's undeniable that Half Life is exactly the same, just replace "idiot" with "fanboy" (which is a more specific kind of idiot).

I'm not so arrogant as to say that Half Life 2 or Halo 2 are the best FPS ever, and yeah, Halo 2 is something of the big game that just ends up becoming popular because of its time of release, as both just kind of ended up rising to the top because of their maximization of its console's main feature over its competitors (FF7, power, Halo, multiplayer). So yeah, I don't think anybody is going to make the case that Halo 2 is the best FPS of all time. If they do, they probably haven't played many FPSs (I know I haven't). But...we don't really seem to be arguing over anything.

Half Life 2? Ain't so great.

True, it went from a best FPS topic to a 2man show. My intent was simply to bring those halo votes down a notch and I believe I have accomplished that. Now let me know when we are done with FPS so we can move on and crown FFVII as the best RPG of all time.

I can certainly see where you're coming from for that. But if we're talking strictly about Japanese RPGs, my order would be Suikoden 3>Xenosaga 1>a few other games>FF7.

I can see where Suikoden 3 can be on top of peoples list, I prefer the first two and 5 over 3. That's the first time I see Xenosaga on a top 10 list. Explain your love for it spuds, what makes that game so great in your mind?

Well, the main reason I like Suikoden 3 over the other Suikodens was because of a few key factors.

Suikoden 3's lack of an overworld map was massively beneficial. The cast of characters was simply superior to all the other Suikodens (despite the lack of Viktor). The plot was better than most because it dealed wiht more politics than some kind of emotional struggle between the protagonist and an ever-shifting antagonist. It really pulled alot of the Suikoden elements together. The battle system was absolutely excellent, it took Chrono Trigger and Suikoden and it brought it together very nicely. The army battles were the best in any of the Suikoden games. And there was ALWAYS something to do in Suikoden 3.

As for Xenosaga. It is probably the best-looking PS2 game out there. And since it came out in 2003(?) that's especially impressive. The plot was epic. The music is the second best in any game ever (second only to Guilty Gear). The FMVs were simply excellent. The voice acting was incredible. The characters complemented each other nicely. The dialogue was exceptionally well-done. The battle system was DEEP. The customization of characters was oddly great. It was LONG. And so on and so forth. Simply put, it was just great in everything you could want from an RPG.

I love Suikoden...but I prefer Xenosaga. Maybe it's the fact there's still a massive abscence of (good) sci-fi RPGs or maybe it's just that Xenosaga's unique because of its complete abscence of any fantasy element. Not sure.

But Suikoden 3 is still my tops.

Well if it's non fantasy rpg's I'll take Front Mission over the Xeno series. Also Metal Saga from Atlus was a nice distraction. As far as non-traditional sword and sorcery fantasy the Shin Megami and Persona series is the way to go. No Giant ducks there.

Shin Megami Tensei was fun...but it feels kinda remedial (at least DDS did). The battle system was just kinda elemental exploitation and attacking. The whole chain thing was generally unnecessary, or entirely necessary (usually unnecessary). All the others not so much.

But I'd probably take alot of games over XS2 and 3. XS1 is the only top-tier game in the series.