Classic PS1 Games

Shimus

Registered
Jan 21, 2015
As per the name of the Title, I wish to know which PlayStation 1 games you consider to be "Classic" or "Top of the Line" to you. You may include a list, but do make sure to make a hyphenated description to leave a reason of why you chose the game.

For me, PlayStation 1 was a nice era of gaming from everything from Crash Bandicoot 1 to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night to the original Tomb Raider from Eidos entertainment. I loved this system because I mainly grew up on this and Nintendo-64, as that was the time Era I remember the best. I grew up in the original Nintendo and Super-Nintendo area, truly, but I didn't get into gaming until PS1/64.

So, for the PS1/64 Time in our life, which is YOUR favorites?

I think Final Fantasy VII is a certified PlayStation classic. The story was amazing. A lot of things that happened in that game are iconic with just video game lore as a whole. It is stall talked about today. I really could go on and on.

Crash Bandicoot was a great game. I used to play Gran Turismo 3 and Broken Sword 2, which were also one of my favourite games. ;)

Another couple I forgot to mention:

Legend of Dragoon
Parasite Eve
The Spyro franchise.

Man, Ps1 had a lot of GOOD games.

I would pick Burnout as one of my top picks if not the top one just because it was so fun and fresh and it added something to the racing genre without being too gimmicky about it. It also holds up very well as I still enjoy playing even the first version of the game.

So many great games came out for the PS1, I'd have to say that my personal favorites are:
Metal Gear Solid - my absolutely favorite game of all time (story, music, gameplay everthing was just superb)
Chrono Cross - classic Square RPG, another game with amazing music, a bunch of characters and interesting story
Spyro 3 - I think that fact that my whole family (dad, mom and younger sister) played the game shows what a gem it was
I could just go on and on. PS1 was truly a great console, you could pick any genre you want and find a great game or two (or ten).

As per the name of the Title, I wish to know which PlayStation 1 games you consider to be "Classic" or "Top of the Line" to you. You may include a list, but do make sure to make a hyphenated description to leave a reason of why you chose the game.

For me, PlayStation 1 was a nice era of gaming from everything from Crash Bandicoot 1 to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night to the original Tomb Raider from Eidos entertainment. I loved this system because I mainly grew up on this and Nintendo-64, as that was the time Era I remember the best. I grew up in the original Nintendo and Super-Nintendo area, truly, but I didn't get into gaming until PS1/64.

So, for the PS1/64 Time in our life, which is YOUR favorites?
Shinobi was so awesome. Also loved Twisted Metal, Crash Bandicoot, Spyro and Gex

I loved the Final Fantasy and Chrono Cross games, even if my Chrono game constantly black screened for some reason. I had tried a whole bunch of ways to make the disc work, but alas, it was not to be. I also really enjoyed Crash Bandicoot game. Whenever ps1 games are mentioned, I feel like FF7/CC are always the most frequent ones mentioned, heh.

Reactions: LemonyPinkness
Yeah, I'd say Final Fantasy 7 as well, just for the sheer sigificance it had on the gaming landscape pretty much everywhere in the world. There's also the Resident Evil trilogy, for being one of the best survival horrors, Tekken for being the killer app when it comes to fighting games for many people.

Classics? Guys, come on, your list is too small! There were a lot of classics that came out for the PS1! My gawd. Here's my list:
  • Xenogears
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Gran Turismo
  • Tenchu
  • Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • Legend of Legaia
  • Tekken 3
  • Soul Edge
  • Front Mission 3
  • Chrono Cross
  • Rival Schools
  • Syphon Filter
  • Resident Evil 1-3
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped
  • Vagrant Story
  • Tomb Raider
  • GTA
There ya go. Anything else I left out? :)

Reactions: Cmok
Another couple I forgot to mention:

Legend of Dragoon
Parasite Eve
The Spyro franchise.

Man, Ps1 had a lot of GOOD games.
I will agree with you on the Legend of Dragoon and the original Spyro Trilogy. Dragoon was just amazing. The characters, the bosses, the storyline, it was all so captivating for a young gamer such as myself. I remember being stuck at Shirley's Shrine and one of the late-game areas for a long time. A lot of times I had to refer to faqs and walkthroughs to figure out some of the puzzles. But some highlights of the game were as follows:

-turning into a Dragoon for the first time
-that one moment at the end of disc 1 where one of your team members dies (spoiler alert lol)
-defeating the Divine Dragon/Final Boss

As for Spyro, that remains one of my favorite games from my childhood, and even still I come back to play one of the games. My favorite from the trilogy would be Year of the Dragon. It seems more expansive than the others, its challenges are frustratingly difficult at times, and the soundtrack is amazing as ever. To this day I have yet to fully complete any of the three games (the closest being YotD in the Bonus world)

Spyro Riptos Rage was a classic by far. That game was so amazing and had the best game play back then. Man do I ever miss that game..

There was Abe Odyssey where you play Abe and have to rescue Mudokans and have a minimum amount that need to be rescued to get good ending. A good game, and has nice puzzles and funny as well and good to play with friends and will enjoy the setting and exploration. Tomb raider was 3d and was a good game involved thinking just that graphics and movement should of been improved.

Reactions: dillinger10
In addition to Crash Bandicoot which has been mentioned here before I want to add Breath of Fire 3.

It is an RPG where you play someone who can transform into a dragon. You find genes of dragons in the wild and in combat you have the option to combine three genes to transform into several different dragons. There are a ton of combinations you can do and I adore the style of dragon they went with.

The story and gameplay is also pretty cool and split into two parts. Even after finishing the last boss you have several options for uber bosses to beat.

Oh and you create and develop your own village of fairies. Yeah. This game will always have a special place in my heart. It is also available on PSP.

Hoo boy the PS1 era had a lot of gems. Definitely Xenogears, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Final Fantasy, Lunar, ect.

Crash Bandicoot was a great game. I used to play Gran Turismo 3 and Broken Sword 2, which were also one of my favourite games. ;)

Ah yes I loved Crash Bandicoot too. It was really the first arcade style racing game that I played on the console.

Anyone played Marvel vs Capcom games? Those were loads of fun too. Plenty of button mashing to go around.

I played Grand Turismo too. Don't remember which version. The graphics were pretty good back then. Even now I think the graphics can still be considered pretty good. (If my memory serves me right)

Classics? Guys, come on, your list is too small! There were a lot of classics that came out for the PS1! My gawd. Here's my list:
  • Xenogears
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Gran Turismo
  • Tenchu
  • Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX
  • Legend of Dragoon
  • Legend of Legaia
  • Tekken 3
  • Soul Edge
  • Front Mission 3
  • Chrono Cross
  • Rival Schools
  • Syphon Filter
  • Resident Evil 1-3
  • Crash Bandicoot Warped
  • Vagrant Story
  • Tomb Raider
  • GTA
There ya go. Anything else I left out? :)

WOW I just got some total nostalgia from your list lol! How could I have forgotten Tomb Raider?? You've listed some really good ones!! I want to play all of them now!! :)

Yeah, I'd say Final Fantasy 7 as well, just for the sheer sigificance it had on the gaming landscape pretty much everywhere in the world. There's also the Resident Evil trilogy, for being one of the best survival horrors, Tekken for being the killer app when it comes to fighting games for many people.
Agreed. It was really one of those games that changed video games forever. I think by the time they reached 8 they had set a very high standard for graphics and gameplay that I'm sure we owe a lot of the modern games we now enjoy to those FF games on PS1.

There was Abe Odyssey where you play Abe and have to rescue Mudokans and have a minimum amount that need to be rescued to get good ending. A good game, and has nice puzzles and funny as well and good to play with friends and will enjoy the setting and exploration. Tomb raider was 3d and was a good game involved thinking just that graphics and movement should of been improved.
Great choice! I would definitely echo this. Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee was one of my favorite PS1 games. Have you played Oddworld New n Tasty? This is available for download on Steam and also on the PS4.