Xmen Comix throwdown

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
Alright, from other threads, it's obvious that we've got a few comic fans in the house. Of course this is to be expected since creative people typically like both gaming and comics.

So let's have it, bring your questions and stump the Great Ones, the true believers, the elites who have all the variant covers of the original Wolverine mini-series (like me)!

I'll start with this: Who was the clone of Cable and who cloned him?

Actually, he's not the clone- his mother was. Cable is Nathan Summers, son of Scott (Cyclops) and his mother was a clone of Jean Gray (Maddy Prior) who was created by Mister Sinister. Scott himself sent Nathan into the future to save his life due to Mother Asi-something's warnings (sorry- it's been a while).

I know after that they tried doing all kinds of thing with him, from Horseman of the Apocolypse in one alternate reality to transmode virus carrier in another (sorry- I sort of fell asleep when i saw yet another improbable X-title in the mid to late 90s), all the way to the House of M arc, and in there they might have altered his origin (again), but that's how he was written when Liefeld first cooked him up. I know that Deadpool was heavily involved in the later arcs, but again, my feet were asleep by then.

Last edited:
All very good, Imago, but he did have a clone that came back from a possible future. This one was raised by Apocalypse and left the Legacy virus. For a while it was thought that Cable was the clone, but eventually it came out that ..............Stryfe was the flawed copy.

OK, here's a chestnut, back from the old Inferno-era X-Men...

This alien villain had what was possibly the stupidest name ever, as uttered in this classic line...

'The name's ((DELETED)))... 'cause I HIT like one!!"

Name that stupid villain!

My first thought was the Alien ripoff, the Brood, but that makes no sense with your quote. So I'll have to go with sligs? But they are a cheesy octupus thing the Fantastic Four fought WAAAAY back when.

wait. you're talking about an individual. I don't know without having to look it up. I'll try to keep it clean, though and just concede the point.

Last edited:
There are way to many X-men comics out there. Way too many lines in general in my opinion. That's why I like the Ultimate universe so much - each hero/group gets it's own line and they all work together pretty well. And there isn't decades of continuity to worry about.

Angel, Iceman, Beast, Cyclops and Marvel Girl...5 aside from the Professor.

Name the cheesy villiain that possessed all of their powers at once, and no, it wasn't the Super Skrull, heh.

Bonus points: Name the "Living" island that captured four of the five original X-Men, plus Havok and Polaris, prompting the creation of a new roster including Cyclops, Wolverine, Storm etc. to join together.

Yep, Marvel Girl was the last "original" X-man and joined in issue #1, so it can be argued that the other 4 were in fact the "original" team. I love how they used to have Jean use her mutant power to wash the dinner dishes and whatnot. Classic!

As for the living island...

Krakoa!! Classic from Giant Sized X-men #1!

As for the villain... hmmm... Good trivia question.

Last edited:
The villain was ridiculous as only those villains from the 60's and 70's could be. Personally, I just can't get enough of the awful Marvel villains like Paste Pot Pete, Razorback, etc.

He had the wings of Angel, the glasses of Cyclops, the arms and legs of Beast, the snowy hands of Iceman and the less than creative squiggly lines emanating from his head to depict Marvel Girl's mental abilities. Plus he wore a big letter on his chest.

The character is 'Mimic' whose powers just screams of a week where the Mighty Marvel Writers were a little low on original thinking:

"Calvin Rankin has the ability to copy the powers, abilities, attributes, IQ, talents, fighting skills, and characteristics of anyone around him. Along with all those other things he can copy their physical appearance such as their skin color, bone structure, hair style and color, bone composition, voice, eye color, and other physical traits of those he mimics. He has permanently retained the powers of Iceman, Cyclops, Jean Grey, Professor X, Beast, and Angel. The number of powers or people he can mimic are unknown or if he can keep the powers he copies indefinetly. He has been shown to be able to copy the abilities of over 10 people at once."

Mimic.jpg

On the note of Cable's clone, technically, Cable's clone is Nathan Grey, the Xman. He isn't as much of a clone as much as he is a brother, because he wasn't made using Cable, he was made using Jean and Scott...technically he could be genetically identical to Cable, since they were both created by Sinister, and would therefore essentially be a clone...or maybe they were clones...I'm not 100% on him. Anyway, he (Xman) was created by Sinister in the Age of Apocalypse, which ends up becoming a non-existent as a means to kill Apocalypse, but he, Beast, and Sugarman end up getting pulled out of the failed universe. Unlike Cable, when he is created, Apocalypse's techno virus was non-existent, and doesn't serve as a means to handicapping his telekinesis. Because of that, Xman is probably the single strongest mutant in the entire Marvel Universe next to Xavier.

As a related trivia question, here's a moderately difficult one for all y'all...

Who was the first man to join the Askani? Why'd they let him in?

From what I can remember, Slym Dayspring (Scott Summers) was the first MAN to join, he and Redd (Jean) were pulled into the future by the Askani in order raise Nathan (Cable) and ultimately bring down Apocalypse and Stryfe.