What is the better Old School console?

Yeah, Gordon Freeman is easily the most overrated game character ever. Yeah, his character is an MIT grad scientist? But does he do anything really smart? No, he pulls a trigger and swings a crowbar is all. A handicapped monkey can do that. And yeah, this extends into silent protagonists across games. And only hardcore gamers can recognize the Master Chief? That's crap.

Just for the record, Half-Life and HL2 are awesome games. I just had to gripe about Freeman as a character. Woulda been better if Valve never showed what Gordon looks like and maybe built his character more during the interactions with other characters. Since HL stays in FP the whole time and doesn't have non-interactive cut-scenes, it gives complete control to the player, so the player is the character in those games. That's the problem with assigning attributes to Gordon because it's ultimately up to the player within the limits of the game world what kind of person he is.

Unless you read the instruction manual, or looked into it ahead of time, would you really know Gordon was a scientist at all in Half Life? No. Because he is just a floating gun.

Plus, my parents know who the Master Chief is. Though he certainly isn't as widely known as Mario, isn't that asking a bit much for a character that isn't pushing 20?

I asked you about how to get past the tentacles, don't you remember? And so what, it was his first day on the job? Last I checked there were some security guards there too.

You're saying they say he was a scientist because they say it's his first day on the job. But could have been a security guard just as easily as one of the scientists.

except that he was going to help with research. it was clear through all the context clues and audio cues that you WERE A SCIENTIST ON THE FIRST DAY OF YOUR JOB. anyone who played the game knew that. until something went terribly wrong. the whole point is that he's an atypical hero. you missed the point and your only concern is that you don't like the character for whatever reason. this, however, seems to make you think that you are correct in saying that he is the most overrated video game character ever. which is completely obsurd!

spudlyff8fan said:
Plus, my parents know who the Master Chief is. Though he certainly isn't as widely known as Mario, isn't that asking a bit much for a character that isn't pushing 20?

The best you're gonna get from most people is "the guy from halo". Like Ghost said, he looks more like a motocross racer than anything. But I don't have to prove this to you, it's common sense; Halo is not well known outside of the gaming culture, and the character is not named in any kind of advertising or anything. There's no reason for people outside of gaming to know who Master Chief is. If you don't want to recognize common sense, that's fine.