sony kills itself

Well also think, the price on the Blu-Ray may be 1000 persay, Thats going to be the retail cost, to acctually make one in a factory is going to be 1/5th that. Sonys just buying the rights to make them. I belive that Sony will make a sacrifice to lower the price of the system below how much it costs to make it. thus to make it compete with X-box 360, the other portion of money comes from the games/accsessorys.

"Love/Hate Relationship"

:twocents:
Being a Sony fan boy is to be in what I like to call a "Love/Hate Relationship" Why does Sony incist on ringing out our wallets for accessories that who knows if they will even back it up later down the road. (Anyone remember the HDD for the PS2?) It's really amazing, I'm on my second PS2 and gone through (literally) 6 headsets. You really think I'm going to buy a god damned webcam for the PS2? Pshh. But even after all the pain PS2 has put me through.....I wouldn't have it any other way. These next-gen systems costing as much as they do really does scare me for the future of gaming. While I'm sure the next-gen won't fade out because of high pricing it'll defineatly leave out a huge portion of gamers. (Budget Gamers. Me being one of them.) I'm not surprised Sony would say something like "you need a HDD to play" because let's face it....they are the George W. Bush of gaming. You'd think Sony would be selling the gas these days considering how high the prices are! :jaw-dropp So to sum it all up, damn you Sony....I hate you but I need you. :loser:

That is a definite rumor, there is no way they are going to make us purchase an HDD for the ps3 in order to play games. Sony knows that nobody bought the HDD for the ps2 so why will they do it again?

I would like to clarify that my negativity towards Playstation does not stem from a hatred for their systems. I owned both a PS1 and 2. What I like to see is heavy competition. A while back, Sony and Nintendo were content with their market. They would throw us the scraps from their table and we would humbly gobble them up, begging for more. They liked to stay safe: only give out the new version of their consoles only when the next version was nearly done.

Then Billy Gates upped the ante by making the xbox with the best technology he could get at the time. Nintendo even pulled their "Dolphin" console and went home, only to come back next year with the GC. Now the mighty Sony and Nintendo are paying attention to Microsoft. Now they have to push the envelope and even put out stuff that isn't available or barely available to the PC market. Since when have consoles EVER surpassed PC's or even matched them?

I want Sony sweating to put out the very best.

What I don't get about Sony is the two price points. I know Microsoft did it and their lower priced core unit came with substantially less, but Sony is shipping their "core" unit without an HDMI slot. Now it seems like no big deal right now, but the movie industry is waiting on Blu-Ray infiltration to really set in before they implement a new anti-piracy policy that will require that Blu-Ray discs only be played on devices with an HDMI connection to their Hi Def T.V (which also will require HDMI). So, in about two or three years when they will probably deem that there is enough market saturation, the Blu-Ray DVDs produces might be incompatible with your $500 core system!

Otherwise, I just know at this time that I can't afford to pay nearly a month's rent to buy a PS3 at launch. I have a vacation I'm planning this Fall, and I'm going to have to pass for the time being.

What happens if Blu-Ray goes the way of BETA? Microsofts HD-DVD player is a peripheral. Sony's Blu-Ray is integral part of the console. MS will survive is HD-DVD dies, but will Sony survive if Blu-Ray dies?

Risky, yeah. Still, I think Blu-Ray will come out on top. I think Sony learned a lot about their mistakes with Beta HI FI back in the day, and they realized that support from the movie industry is key (JVC garnered more support from movie studios for VHS and won). Blu-Ray currently has the greater level of support, and is technically superior to the HD-DVD format. Also, add-on peripherals for consoles like a dvd player (or CD-ROM anyone?) don't usually sell all that well anyway.

Still, Sony has a whole host of problems still...two unattractive price points, a worldwide launch due to a delay in the Japanese launch, competition from 360 games showing more 'next-gen' oomph, and a very interesting Nintendo console with unique features and a (most likely) consumer-friendly price.

Well, I think Sony is putting themself in a pretty solid position. I mean, Sony is the company that produces the actual Blue Ray disks. Therefore, they 1) get the revenue from selling the disks 2) get the kickbacks from every game sold 3) get kickbacks for every movie sold. They're in a position to make lots of money back, despite undercutting the costs of the PS3.

but is HD-DVD proprietary like BluRay? Meaning, everyone that wants to use BluRay has to pay Sony for the technology (as Spuds said). Money talks, so if it costs nothing to use HD-DVD, more companies will probably want to save a buck and go with it instead of BluRay.

Not necessarily Jonas....you're always gonna find some companies use the BluRay as a way of saying "We do things different than those HD-DVD guys do, buy our stuff" ........Frankly, i don't mind either one of the technologies over the other......I just wish they would stop blowing it up.....It won't make a damn difference to people unless they own a high-def. TV, and it's not there yet where people are hording to the stores to buy the higher end televisions.........Oh damn, am i hating on something again!!....Oh darn

I think the HD-DVD and Blu Ray DVD thing is wack. From a industry standpoint, and piracy thing its good. But it's not worth it. HDTV's are not big right now. Yes they are the new thing but I mean big as everyone can get one. And the players cost too much. The standard DVD is still going strong. DVD players have now caught on to the masses. You can go to a store and just pick one up. $500 for a HD-DVD player.

I think Sony is trying to make a market and push something that is not ready for the world. Tech junkies and Geeks are into it because were all nerds. But the avarge person can care less. Look at the UMD market. It SUCKS. it's not cathing on. The PSP sales are lack-luster. Which is why movie companies are not supporting the software.

Now as far as Gaming goes I think The Blu-Ray and HD-DVD works well. The dics have so much room for games it makes sense to me.

Yes, but higher density discs promote bigger, more complex games that are more and more expensive to make (driving up game and console price). And that in turn means developers take fewer risks while making a game. We're already seeing less and less innovation from the core set (hopefully Wii will bring things back to focus as far as innovation is concerned).

NINTENDO RULES. I know that sounds like a pure Fanboy. But it's ture. You can not keep going in the way of Sony and Microsoft. But just techs. Games are about games not about the looks. It's game play.

And to me. Nintendo pull a slick trick. They new Sony and MS would be better in power. So why compete that way. Go back to what happen the begining. Nintendo Change the way we played games 20 years ago. And now there back to do it again. Haha. It's about to hit the fan.

Yes, it's called a "non-compete" strategy. Make yourself different enough that people will not be able to satisfy the desire for what you offer with what is offered by the others in the market. Do so by changing your market, creating a new market.

I don't think so, though. I mean, no matter what they do or what they think, they're competing with Microsoft and Sony.

They are taking a different path than Sony and MS, and I think it's smart. Nintendo knew they couldn't swing it like they can, so they didn't try. Now they'll have a new spin on almost the same market.

I do think that Sony's trying to force a new technology on us. I'm not sure why. No one is clamoring for bigger DVD's. Hi-def is nice, but few people actually have it yet. I think they may be ahead of their time, but HD-DVD made them force the issue.

But who really cares about a HD-DVD. What will be on it that I can't get on my standard DVD. All I want is the Movie subtitles, and maybe delted scenes on a comabey. But all the extra stuff like comentary and a look in side the movie I can care less about. The MArket for HD-DVD is not ready just yet. Let the HDTV's talke over first or become more affordable first before you push the new DVD format.