Revolution prediction

BCampbell

Staff Member
Registered
So, I assume we've all read the "leaked" specs of the revolution. Basically, it'll be using discs that holds as much as a DVD and can be dual-layered, has a little more RAM than the 'cube but not near the amount of the 360 and PS3, and the processor's clock speed is about two times that of the 'cube. Overall, it's about 2.5-3 times as powerful as the GC. So now is the time to start making predictions.

I predict that the Revolution will launch for $179, including a game bundle.

Anyone else is free to add their predictions.

Well, we know that Nintendo refuses to lose money on console sales (MS and Sony both take losses in those depts.). We know that the Revo will be a spec dwarf compared to 360 and PS3.

There was a rumour floating around that it would launch at $99US (and therefore most likely $129CDN, for those of us who care, that being mainly me). But I think that's a pretty ill-founded rumour.

I'm going to say it'll launch at $169US ($199CDN) or there abouts.

maybe you're right. i dont think either the N64 or GC came with a game, that i can remember. of course i didnt buy either of those systems when they were brand new. i dont think nintendo has usually forced a package deal early on, but everyone else is doing it...so they might do it too. people HATE getting home and realizing they have no game to play. and i think nintendo realizes this...think christmas. and yes some people are stupid enough to not know better

Heheh. That reminds me of my first console. It was an NES. But my parents bought me a game for it before the console! They knew better, of course, they were saving the console for Christmas, but wanted me to have my own game to take over to my friend's house, so it didn't seem like I was mooching so much.

The game was 720degrees. An old skate-boarding game. The elderly grandfather of the popular Tony Hawk games.

Well, those specs are somewhat suspect (it is based entirely on hearsay), and Nintendo is still yet to say whether it's true or not. Assuming those specs ARE accurate, I'd bet that the console would come with the nunchaku control thing, and the shell for 150 or 200. A guy in the IGN article said that the 100 dollar release "is not out of the question" but I'd bet there are just as many people willing to pay 150 as there are to pay 100. But don't forget, people, the controller probably won't be easy to produce, and I wouldn't be surprised if it costed 50 for the controller. Then add 20-30 for the shell. Then multiply it by 3 and you have a complete Revolution multiplayer setup. Then add 30-50 for the memory cards. Then batteries and/or controller chargers. THAT will add up.

Spud raises a good point. I sincerely hope the controller runs on a built-in Li-Ion battery or some such thing that I never have to remove and replace. I want a charger dock of some kind, I DO NOT want to have to buy a truck load of AAs just so I can game.

I think the future is grim for the Rev. The GC is a good system, so the next will have to top it. With so little improvements on the GC, will people want to buy it? By the time it's released, the 360 and PS3 will be out and everyone dazzled with them. Release something that looks like them in body style, but so much less graphically and you're asking for trouble. It's like having a slick, sportscar-looking hotrod with a compact car engine. If you choose the compact, then you won't be disappointed, but if you go in expecting HD and incredibly complex games you may very well be.

Their tactic is decent, but a huge gamble. If people are shy of shovelling out the dough for the top-end systems, then it will work. If the world has moved to HD and will settle for nothing less but the best, then their strategy may backfire (although if it's that cheap, I may buy one in addition to my future 360). Which might be yet another tactic. Let everyone have their uber-system. They'll offer a decent one for less that will have games not played on the big dogs.

In other threads it has already been pointed out that we need to give the 360 (and soon the PS3) designers a little more time to develop games with the new systems. I predict games that will blow us away so much that Rev games will struggle to keep up. Then Nintendo will go into software only and Mario will come play on 360.

I have a serious concern about the Revo.

We know a few things. We know that it will read GC discs, which are small.
We know it will play DVDs which are the standard optical disc size.
We figure from the going rumours that its game discs will be of a standard size.
We know it's a slot loader, not a tray loader.

How in the world does it slot load the GC discs? I can't put anything other than standard discs in my slot loading car player or my slot loading Apple iBook. How is Nintendo getting around the mechanical problems everyone else is having?

Darth_Jonas said:
What difference would that make?
I assume you're talking about the possibility of an extra slot for reading GC discs. It would make a difference in the production overhead if it came with the console, raising the price of the console. Slot loaders are cool, but it would be much cheaper to put in a tray than it would be to put in two slots.

And I really hope we don't have to spend $79 or whatever on an add-on GC disc reader module. That would be the equivalent of a slap in the face.

Aha! maybe the disc isn't sucked in at all!

We've all seen the pictures, we know the Revo is tilted backward. What if there are no motors pulling in the discs. What if it's just a self adjusting cradle that raises to the right height when a smaller disc is dropped in the slot. Obviously, the same cradle could be used to gently tilt the disc out during eject.

I didn't even know the designs we're seeing are finalized. I'm not so sure we know what it'll look like.

Anyway, Nintendo seems content to play the 2nd fiddle. They obviously aren'ttrying to go head to head with Sony or MS in terms of tech. They seem to be focusing on the software, not the hardware; they're thinking that people will buy good games no matter what system they're for, and great looking graphics don't necessary make a game good.

I'd be surprised if the Revolution controller base cost $50. The Wavebird cost $35. More than $40 for the Rev controller would be very surprising. The technology is fairly simple and common.