Pen and Paper

How should the described service be paid for? Select all that you fancy.

• Paid for? Balls! It should be FREE! I'll put up with as many ads as it takes!

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • A flat monthly subscription (a la WoW, but most likely much less)

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • A tiered subs. service, offering different rates for GM's, basic, and premium (vid-chat, etc.).

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Pay per level. Charge $2 when character goes to level 2, $3 to level up to level 3, etc.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pay per campaign, with a nominal fee for using the editor.

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • "Purchase" software, then play for free, until upgrading.

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters
Oh, dude. I don't know SQUAT about creating game systems. I have another guy to work on that. I'm all about world building and story writing. And eventually campaign authoring.

"C is for Cookies and that's good enough for me!"

What's next? Virtual wife?

(post Removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
As it turns out, there exists already some RPG software like what I described in this thread. www.openrpg.com

My friend and I may play some D&D using this software, to see if it's any good, and if we can do better (or even need to). We may end up just publishing our game traditionally, providing a meet and greet, group connection forum and then recommending that players who wish to play online use OpenRPG. Gotta test it first though.

If your ideas are good, there's always the possibility of licensing the d20 System as a rules structure, and then just publishing your "World" content. d20 (developed for 3rd Ed. D&D) is quite flexible- there are numerous other games using the systemm as a base, from Babylon 5 to Fantasty and everything in-between...

As an utter novice, I have to ask this question:

Isn't the d20 system basically combat based? Is it possible to use the d20 system and make it more about plot development? Is that the DM's responsibility? Is it the campaign author's (mine)?

Also, just how expensive is a d20 license?

I have no idea on cost...

the d20 system is a complets combat AND character development tool (skill points, etc.). As for plot development, honestly, I've never seen a "rules system" for that... I can imagine rolling a d100 on the "sub plots" table (shudder)... Really, if you want to give players help in that area, that can be written into the rules books in a Storytelling section, drtailing the basics of good plot, kinds of conflict, hero/villain relationships, etc. independent of the "rules". This is where knowlege of gaming history would help you- for instance, if you oened a set of the origonal White Wolf Vampire, Mage, Changling and Werewolf books (particularoy the Storyteller's Guides), they have pretty extensive sections on establishing a game Theme, setting mood, basics of good plot, etc.

For all appearances, the d20 license appears to be free. I have a hard time believing that though, so I'll need to read all the legalese before I determine that though.

I have just heard that D&D is very combat oriented. You get the most XP from combat. I suppose d20 could be manipulated to award points for a wider range of actions and whatnot.

I find it VERY hard to believe that a system designed by WIzards of the Coast is free... You'd better check. That doesn't mean that you can't start researching and writing, but it does mean that before you post ANYTHING on line that one day might be sold for money that you'd better have your ducks in a row.

As for XP for non-combat things, it's certainly easy enough to just implement a GM system to allow the storyteller to assign XP for whateve rthey want- again, this was something that was a staple of the White Wolf system- the Storyteller gace XP awards a tthe end of each game session based on participation, if anything particularly impacting happened, extra awards for particularly good role-playing, etc. I actually liked that system MUCH better than a "kill beastie, get XP" system...

Also, in my gaming group, a lot of things were left up the GM's discretion. If you did something extra cool you got extra points. I was running "The Sunless Citadel", a WoTC D&D campaign module and my gamers found a Bugbear guard. The rogue in the group crept up and backstabbed him, killing him instantly. Then, a mage reanimated him and the rest of the group decided to pile explosive alchemical materials they found in another room. They marched him ahead into a room full of goblins. The sorceress then cast a flaming sphere at the barrel of explosives igniting it, and thus there was goblin stew everywhere.

I gave them some XP bumps just for the amount of laughing I did while they put that one together.

So, they reanimated him and made him a suicide bomber? That's pretty freakin' cool.

See, that's why I want to play, so I can pull stunts like that. You can't do that in video games. It's funny, cause since I've started on this RPG kick, I haven't really cared much about the viddies. They're so constraining.