neverwinter nights...and ramblings..

GhostToast

Supp. Editor/Admin
Registered
so i've been bored lately while at home and started playing neverwinter nights. i had basically gotten to the end or just past the end of the first chapter before, but for some reason had never gone any further, and had just given up. now i'm well into the middle of chapter two and really enjoying the game. sure it is somewhat repetitive with many of the quests, and i must admit i get a little tired of reading through all the dialogue trees, but i just enjoy collecting the loot and leveling up so much.

i think at the heart of a roleplaying game that is what keeps me going. i can't really speak for anyone else but the storyline is maybe of less importance than how cool it feels to advance through the world. and by advance i mean to become great.

presently i'm playing as a well-rounded thief. i doubt i'll play through as another class, since so much of the game can be seen by just one class...possibly a mage though. however, i admit that i find the variances in magics in d&d games overwhelming.

anyway. back to my heart of roleplaying games...the loot, the experience...getting better...getting better stuff...selling treasure for mass money and having a somewhat useful economy. i think NWN has this down pretty good.

speaking of experience points (hell i'm just going to turn this into a rant)...i was driving my car the other day and realized that since this car was put back together (LONG story...but to sum up, i have a 93 laser with an engine that has only 15k miles on it now) i have been getting consistently better and better gas mileage. now this is probably due to the fact that the car sat for 2 years...but -- it does seem quite odd. and this is over the course of about 3000 miles, a steady increase in miles per gallon!

i began thinking the miles my car were tallying were like experience points, and that my car must have leveled up. and wouldn't it be sweet if that's really how cars were? i mean, in a way they do sort of level up. except that when your car has enough "experience points" it is time to replace a part of the car. if you buy a much higher quality after market part, then essentially you have leveled up your car...even if not by much..

but please, DO change your oil regularly cause so many people ignore that and it's the least you can do since, sadly, our cars don't actually gain experience points and learn new skills/feats/spells/what-have-you.

i was originally gonna post this in pc games but i think it is now safe to move it to a more random forum.... tada...

wow, that post only made me realize you need more "experience points" in the "sack", I have leveled up as much as possible, the secret to "leveling up" in this *cough* "job class" is not treading from the dungeon you're in, sure "fighting" the same creature night after night after night can be boring to some, others might have the time of their life.

The "trick" to this way of "leveling up" is to look at it from a different perspective, and try new things. Say you have found yourself in a dungeon with a "Shrieking Siren", you could just go ahead and do the usual "hack and slash", but sometimes you could use your "acrobatic abilities" or rely on your "mage skills". So the trick is to mix it up.

Let's say though, that you've decided to try to "level" yourself up in different "dungeons" trying out new "moves and abilities" on different "creatures". The main thing to remember is that different "creatures" require you to mix up, and combine your "skills". The "Shrieking Siren" That I "level up" with requires "mage skills" and sometimes simple "hack and slash", the "Dark Mermaid" you "encounter might require "acrobatic abilities" especially since it's an ocean based creature, but if it's ocean based it might be vulnerable to "lightning magic".

This are simple rules on how to gain as much "experience" as possible, and "level up" as much as possible, the "golden rule" of this though is, it doesn't matter what your "melee weapon" is, wether it be a staff, dagger or sword, or the size of it, what matters is how you "swing" it. Some "creatures" say it's more important how long you "swing" your "melee weapon", these are "creatures" that have accumalated an extremely high amount of "experience points", if you meet up with one of these, you're in for a challenge.

Join the club Andre. We have t-shirts. Kurruption, damn man. You have given that way too much thought. I did like the part about how the "dark mermaids" are susceptible to lightening attacks. I laughed out loud.

I bought Neverwinter Nights and only played it once. Not so much cause I did not like the game, but because I had no idea what the hell I was doing. If you ever want to play online give me a buzz and I will refire it up. If I can find my CD Keys that is.