Metroid Prime Hunters

SquallSnake7

Editor in Chief
Jun 23, 2005
IL
The game comes out today. Who else is gonna pick it up? WiFi Metroid FPS on DS... i'm there. I am curious to see how well the chat opinion works... but you can only chat in the lobby before and after each game starts... not during gameplay. I am anxious to see how the other Hunters handle.

Zack, I have tomorrow off. I will try and pick it up. Then I shall release my wrath for you not allowing me to review the game.

METROID RULES WOOHOO.

Well, I got the game. Just seeing the opening credits almost made me fill my shorts with excitement. The FMV graphics were amazing. I almost just put the game down right there, knowing few things could top that pinnacle. But I went on. I played the single player mission for about an hour trying to get a feel for the controls. I am currently using the dual button configuration, and not using the touch pad for movement. However, you have to use the touch pad for a lot of functionality, so this approach may change. I need to find the thumb nubbin for quick access to the touch screen. Using the screen to switch weapons could be a bitch in the heat of battle. Overall the controls take a little getting used to, but I think they could work out satisfactorally. I guess when I see Metroid on the screen I am used to Prime and Echoes, and not the dual move/look combination. Also, I am not sure if you can switch the jump and the fire button. I seem to be confusing those a lot initially. Graphics are pretty cool. A little grainy, but very smooth.

And so that is the first hour of Metroid Prime Hunters. I am very excited about the rest of the game. Ok, I need to go change my pants.

Okay, so this game looks totally aweoms. i picked it up and I have to admit that it is still ahrd for me to control. It is just that I am not quite used to controlling first person shooters and the like anyways. I am gonna master it but it is gonna take a while for sure. Gawsh i wish I had mad gaming skillz like the rest of my friends.

Well, I loaded up some multiplayer last night for the first time. For some reason, I was only paired up with one other opponent in a deathmatch style game. And boy did he destroy me. I think we played 3 or 4 quick games to 7 kills and I had 1 kill and 2 suicides. I pulled the ole jump behind a wall right before shooting the rocket launcher trick I am so good at. In other words, this guy DESTROYED me. But damn it was fun. I may have found my new pvp addiction.

Well, I just played some more and DAMN DO I SUCK. Hey Zack, have you been able to play against more than one person? Every game I've played has been me and just one other opponent. And they RAIL on me. Let me reiterate: I SUCK ROYALLY AT MULTIPLAYER HUNTERS.

Tanya, you can probably kill me.

We should try to play against each other somehow. I have not explored any of the multiplayer parts of the game yet.

BTW. I am digging controlling with the stylus. It makes me feel like I have a mouse on a computer and not jumbling around with a controller. It does get a little uncomfortable after awhile though. I admit that I have not mastered the FPS with a controller yet. Who knows how I would do with a group of people all trying to kill me all at once. I am guessing that I would get schooled.

I noticed that also. Most of the time when I play, I only play against one other person. I hate that. NWC still needs work.

Lately, I've lost alot of faith in online games...

I hit level 20 in Halo and now EVERYONE is a camper. I played Mario Kart DS and EVERYONE either snakes (which isn't really legal) or shuts off at loss (and they lose because they can't snake). Pretty much everything other than fighting games is just full of CHEAPASSES.

So I played some Metroid Prime Hunters today...

And I was NOT happy. Really...I simply did NOT like the control scheme. Using the stylus made it practically impossible to hit the jump button. Using the A/B/X/Y buttons were simply too inaccurate to be useful for any fast-paced or precision-shooting situation.

i agree the controls seem to hard for me to handle, the touch pad is a genuis idea but... i dont think its gonna live up to the first person shooter, when i played james bond.. it felt like i was working to hard to shoot a guy.

I thought Rogue Agent was...not TOO bad (at least not as bad as many sites/mags claimed) but really, its simplicity really wasn't hampered by the DS. There's alot more to MPH, which hurts it because I just don't think MPH could've been pulled off on the DS.

I'd like to try Metroid on the DS Lite. I've played it on "Phat" and itr hurts my hand after a while.

You can double-tap the touch screen to jump, Spudz. I'm using the right-hand stylus controls right now (lower the look sensitivity to about 5). It's true, the controls are tough to get used to, and not very comfortable. I've been experimenting with ways of sitting and holding the DS and the stylus. With that said, it's not unplayable. In fact, it works better than I probably thought it would. If you get good with the stylus controls, you can probably do better than if you used dual-mode. I wish Retro would've allowed you to basically configure the controls how you like it. Each person could experiment with a bunch of ways to control the game. For instance, it would be more comfortable for me to hold the DS if the fire button was the r-button. I could control the stylus with my thumb and index finger, while using my middle finger to tap the r-button. It would alleviate the strain of holding the DS, navigating the d-pad and tapping the high-placed l-button.

so i guess it is true Nintendo screwed up the controls again. BTW im a proud NDS and, dont get angry at me i love them both, a PSP owner

I was reading an article about a new stylus that wraps around your thumb... this sounds like it could greatly improve the quality of control on this game. I am definately excited about this and am willing to give it a try.