Favorite video game music?

Discussion in 'Classics' started by MikeyPaine, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Necrotica

Necrotica New Member Registered

My favorite soundtrack is from an obscure PS1 game called Jade Cocoon. The game itself is amazing, but I absolutely love the folk and new age elements of the music

2. DownrightFierce

DownrightFierce New Member Registered

I haven't played this game, but I do follow Anamanaguchi, and yes, this game's soundtrack was truly awesome.

The best game soundtrack for me is probably the one for The Last Blade 2, an obscure 2d fighting game from the late 90s. That or the Ikaruga OST.

3. MandyMarieB

MandyMarieB Member Registered

Kingdom Hearts, for sure. I mean, even the menu music is stunning.

But I also enjoy some of the old 8bit tracks of my childhood! Mario, Ducktales, Maniac Mansion... I have quite a few of those as my various ringtones on my phone!

4. lamanlupa

lamanlupa Member Registered

My favorite videogame music is and will always be from that 16-bit NES game City Connection. It's just so catchy. It might sound like elevator music, but I do find it melodic as hell. Mappy would be a close second in my opinion. I know both games are for videogame newbies, but we are talking about the music here.

5. Cereus

Cereus Member Registered

Generally anything by Yasunori Mitsuda. Nobuo Uematsu has great stuff, don't get me wrong, but I'm honestly kinda tired of the VGM fanbase acting like he's the SOLE composure in the industry. Jeremy Soule's hit and miss with his stuff but when he hits, it's freaking amazing.

Yasunori is severely underrated in the industry despite the fact that people laud the Chrono series and yet know nothing about him- it's pretty sad. He's been a huge part of the RJPG VGM scene and has for the most part helped revolutionize it to what it is today. He's the one that started Square's trend of using ballads in their games. Personally I think that Xenosaga 1 was the pinnacle of all of his musical work considering its sheer ambitiousness. I mean come on, London Philharmonic and Metro Voices?