CANADA vs. AMERICA:

Bacon:
AMERICA: thin strips of fatty pork
CANADA: ham

Boot
AMERICA: heavy footwear
CANADA: part of the word "about"

Hockey:
AMERICA: winter diversion for when there's not enough snow for skiing/snowboarding
CANADA: national identity

Wilderness:
AMERICA: anywhere without a Wal-Mart
CANADA: anywhere outside of Toronto

Queen:
AMERICA: conspicuous cross-dresser
CANADA: high public office (possibly also a cross-dresser)

Besides that, almost half of voting Quebecois (citizens of Quebec) do not consider Quebec a part of Canada. They wish to be sovereign. Sometimes I don't blame them, other times, I feel we'd do better without them.

Way back when, when Canada was first settled, it wasn't by the British, it was by the French. They settled in the East, up and down the river that's now called the St. Lawrence.

Then the British came along and kicked their collective ass, and spread over the rest of what's now Canada.

Francophones (French speakers) have stayed in Quebec for the most part, and have high notions about their language. They passed laws in their province that say that if a sign MUST have English on it, then it must say the same thing in French and the French text must be a certain percentage larger than the English. It's idiocy.

They fancy themselves not Canadians, but Frenchmen. They have less real attachment to France than the rest of Canada has to England, yet they pretend at a much closer relationship with France. It's ludicrous.

I know this is going back in the discussion a while, but I must say, as someone living only a 2 hour drive from Vancouver and a nice relaxing ferry ride from Victoria that I love British Columbia. I've been to quite a few english speaking countries (Australia, New Zealand, England and Canada) and I must say that Vancouver is my favorite city of all. It's beautiful, clean, full of art and things to do (but for some reason has an extraordinary amount of panhandlers). Vancouver Island (and Victoria) are also very lovely. I have to go see the Butchart Gardens every once in a while because they are so gorgeous, as is quaint Victoria. Andy and I have seriously thought about living in BC (specifically Vancouver Island), as it would be easier for his (English, obviously) parents to come and retire in BC than it would the US - Plus it's just so damn nice. I get away to Canadia whenever possible and love it. See some photos of Vancouver in my gallery if you like!

Come crash at my place - we'll drive up and the four of us can spend a somewhat-less-expensive-weekend-than-in-America - We can go to Stanley Park - it's rad.

Americans feel much the same way about California. Pretty, with lots of cool stuff, but we don't really like what it does for the rest of the country. (speaking of Quebec)

I've heard a couple of other Canadians say they would be more than happy to let Quebec go. Only problem is, no one else wants them and they're too French to stand up on their own. One bus of 4th graders could take it over without the protection of the rest of the hockey-loving country.

I've only been to LA, but I think I could live there for sure.

I am a city girl, however - and the Seattle traffic has trained me.

Of Quebec, and sovereignty: They want to be their own country, but keep Canadian currency. That's cause they KNOW that as soon as they start drafting a constitution, every single company whose base of operations is in Montreal is going to get up and go to Toronto or Vancouver. They'll have no basis for an economy at all.