Best pc games of 2005

Again, 40k has a console equivalent, there was Starcraft 64 (though it didn't control well, it featured some cool new content), and XBL has content download for a reason. It allows you to download content. Plus, MMORPGs are becoming increasingly more console-friendly, which is obvious with FFXI for the Xbox 360, True Fantasy coming back, Phantasy Star, and .hack//Fragment. Yup. PC is awesome.

That isn't the point though. Starcraft 64 isn't Rome Total War or Warhammer 40k. FFXI isn't WoW (far from it, actually). That is like saying that any good game that is on consoles gets on PC as well because Theif is the equivalent of any Metal Gear games. PCs get ports of FF games so that is the equivalent of any RPG released on consoles.

And the point was made that straight ports to console usually lose a lot of functionality or just pure content. Not to mention all the mod-possibilities.

So yeah. I like both but I think it is pretty naive to think that you miss nothing good on PC by having a console...and vice versa btw.

spudlyff8fan said:
Again, 40k has a console equivalent, there was Starcraft 64 (though it didn't control well, it featured some cool new content), and XBL has content download for a reason. It allows you to download content. Plus, MMORPGs are becoming increasingly more console-friendly, which is obvious with FFXI for the Xbox 360, True Fantasy coming back, Phantasy Star, and .hack//Fragment. Yup. PC is awesome.

The 40k game is NOT the excelent FPS that Relic wrote, so that's not a valid comparison at all. I did, however, forget about Starcraft 64, I admit- it was so bloody awful that I think I have a mental block. Comparing Starcraft 64 to the PC version is like comparing a rusted-out VW (with 3 wheels) to a Porche. True, they are both technically cars, but...

And, come on... You're trying to compare World of Warcraft or City of Heroes/Villains to Phantasy Star and the FF series? That's an apples/oranges comparison IMHO and is more about the difference between eastern and western game philosophy more than anything (but, you can certainly disagree).

As far as XBL's "content download" system, I'm sorry but it's a joke. Nobody wanted XBL to succeed more than I did when it launched, and I remember fighting with my friends (all of who were dyed-in -the-wool PS2 or Nintendo freaks) that Micosoft was going to finallyt getr cosoles up to the PC's level of support for games. Guess what? It never did. A few levels here and there for the massively popular games and almost nothing at all for the other 90% does NOT come any place close to the level of support that you have for even a lukewarm PC title with an available SDK.

It's not looking like the 360 will get there either- as long as the only downloadable content for a game has to come through "official" channels and is not in the direct cotrol of the fan base, then the volume (and I'd argue the quality) of add-ons avaiable to the PC will be worlds better.

One day someone will make a $200 "dedicated set-top gaming PC", one that will hook to the same internet as a fully featured PC can access and one that can basically run the same games and add-ons as a standard PC... it WILL happen. Just not today. So, yeah, I agree...

spudlyff8fan said:
Yup. PC is awesome.

Glad you agree. :hyper:

FFXI is immensely better than WoW. PSO (not CARD Battle) is kickass. Thief came out on Xbox. PC got 2 EXTREMELY glitchy ports of FF7 and FF8.

And yeah, all we have for XBL content download is for a few crap games like Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden and Fable. Nobody likes those! And a 200 dollar PC? :crazy:

I tried liking Final Fantasy, but the series really hit it's zenith with VII IMHO. But, I've never been a real fan of that type of combat... it was fine in the days of the Sega Genesis, but I prefer something more real-time now.

Ok I don't know what excatly you guys are argueing about, but the fact of the matter is that....
40K is not a RPG (unless you are talking about the roleplaying one with the figurines) its a RTS, FFXI sucks, very badly. It sucks on Console and it sucks on PC, a dozen other MMOs are better including WoW. I played FFXI for 3 months and nothing even remotely cool happend.
Plus this is turning into a PC vs Console war ( again ). We already have a fourm for that. don't bring up PS2 and Xbox games when the topic is Best PC games of 2005, thats just ignorant.

Oh and also X-men ledgends is better on console than on PC, which I would have a review to tell you the reasons why, but my video card is wack now and I have not played the game enough so I will hold off until I am able to get a review done.

ActionHank said:
Oh and also X-men ledgends is better on console than on PC, which I would have a review to tell you the reasons why, but my video card is wack now and I have not played the game enough so I will hold off until I am able to get a review done.

I'm (sort of) playing Legends on the PC (between marathon City of Villains sessions... Jesus I almost can't even REMEMBER what it's like to get a full night's sleep) and I can tell you that the gameplay is identical to the console version form what I've seen so far. The graphics, however, put the conole version to shame... and it runs at like 65 FPS even at 1600X1200... Color me impressed (by that anyway... I'm finding the actual game mechanics spotty).