Best pc games of 2005

beastmaster

Registered
Oct 8, 2005
www.beastcomputers.co.uk
Hi Guys,

If I were to compile a list of games for an article I was writing about the best games of 2005, what do you all reckon should go in. I've penned a few but I may have missed some of them:
Battlefield 2
Half Life 2
Doom 3
Darwinia

(they were in no order btw)

Beast Master

Eh, well, technically, Half-Life 2 and Doom 3 were released last year (November '04 and July '04 respectively), so they wouldn't count as '05 releases. Unless you want to count Half-Life 2: Game of the Year Edition or the Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil expansion pack... (I still need to get that expansion pack BTW :angel: )

My list would include:

Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth
Half-Life 2
Knights of the Old Republic 2: The Sith Lords
Guild Wars

Some of those games were released for Xmas 2004, it's true (which to me means "2005" since many people don't buy games till after Xmas), but if you're going to limit it ONLY to games released then you have to wait, because games like Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, Warhammer 40,000: Winter Assault, F.E.A.R., City of Villains, Black and White 2, Civilization IV, Age of Empires III, The Movies and Call of Duty 2 are all slated for a holiday release. Any or all of these could be a real winner....

BCampbell said:
I'll give you props for Darwinia though, one of the more innovative games I've seen in a while.

Yeah, I've played the demo for Darwinia. Kicks ass. :thumbsup: Now I just need the money to buy it. :(

I wouldn't include KOTOR2. They ran out of time and did a half asses job on the ending. They don't deserve best game. X-Men Legends 2 might be worth including. Also the Incredible Hulk. I haven't played either but they are supposed to be good. You might also want to look at Black and White 2.

kwilson said:
X-Men Legends 2 might be worth including. Also the Incredible Hulk. I haven't played either but they are supposed to be good.

Again, hate to nitpick, but I don't believe either of those two games made it to the PC.

Edit: Oops, turns out X-Men Legends 2 did make it to the PC after all. But the Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction still did not. So there. :raspberry

Will Civ 4 be out this year? That will probably make the cut. Unless Sid Meier has lost his mind.

An Xmen game for best of the year? Um... I

My money's on all of the games I listed (including KotOR- I thought it was great), with Game of the Year probably going to Oblivion. Of course, that's just based on pre-release stuff and so might be GRAVELY wrong, but Bethesda hasn't dissapointed me yet. F.E.A.R. looks fantastic but let's see how it plays. City of Villains is going to be free for current City of Heroes players (no online fees anyway), which make it a TERIFFIC value and we know from experience that Cryptic can really deliver the goods when it comes to MMOs. Civ IV is the latest installment in a titanic franchise and AOE III, The Movies, COD2 and B&W 2 all look to bring really interesting things to the table.

So, in other words, you'd better wait intil after the holidays to call this one. :fez:

spudlyff8fan said:
Doesn't really matter. All the good PC games end up on Xbox anyway.

Puh-leeze. Now you're just embarassing yourself. ;) :taekwondo

PS- Guess who just got commissioned to do the Official Wallpapers for Civ IV? I'll give you three guesses... hehehehehe...

ImagoX said:
Puh-leeze. Now you're just embarassing yourself. .

Yeah, not all. Just Doom 3, Half Life 2, Pirates, Farcry, America's Army, Quake 4, the Sims, Elder Scrolls, and some others. But yeah, I'm sure there are a few PC games that we aren't getting...like...uhh...hmm....

Warhammer 40k and it's add-on, Starcraft, Battle for Middle Earth, City of Villains, World of Warcraft...And games like Oblivion that DO end up on the consoles will have gigs and gigs and gigs of free downloads/mods/art/characters/dungeons available for PC...

Yeah, your cup runneth over. What was I THINKING? :boxedin:

Yeah, you can't really compare games like Doom 3, Quake 4, Elder Scrolls, The Sims, etc on XBox and PC, because the PC versions just have far and away more functionality. Just look at Morrowind XBox vs. PC. Sure, the XBox version is a great game, but the PC version absolutely blows it away, even if you don't include fan-made add on material.