Best game ever!!!

I was referring to the second one in the series of Suikoden. I also own the complete series up to now.

Disgaea and all those other niche games come here for one reason. In hopes of making more money. Because the overhead on those games are low( using the same graphics and physics engine) it's easy to make some money off of it. Final Fantasy Tactics is what's affecting Disgaea and it's friends. The cult popularity showed that there is a niche market for these types of games.

I'm done arguing with you because it's pointless. You haven't changed my mind, nor will you, and I obviously won't change yours.

Didn't realise we were arguing....but ok. The tactics games became popular due to PC releases of similar games, not FF Tactics. Let me state something: the FF games did NOTHING for video games, tactics or RPG's. There are better RPG's and Tactics games. There were before FF and there will be after FF. Final Fantasy is not the end all to be all of anything. They went from being decent hard working RPG's to the whores of the gaming industry. All dressed up on the corner waiting for everyone to come play them. Little substance and a ton of style. Just not what I want in my games.

Truth is, it's in the past, and there's no telling either way unless one of us can forsee an alternate universe where Hironobu Sakaguchi dies in a freak sushi accident circa 1989, we'll never know.

But honestly, I don't think either one of us would be arguing over Final Fantasy if he could see an alternate universe.

Oh, and finally, Alternate Universe games, Zelda nonwithstanding, need more exposure.

Also another thing games like FF VII started is what will soon be the downfall of independent video games makers. FF Spent Millions of Yen to make that game and now people won't hardly buy any video game with out state of the art graphics and awsome cut scenes. Leaving the little guys in the dust with noone to pick up and distribute their work.

The only thing I hate about all those games for pc and ps2 or any other system is that you have to pay a monthly fee of about 10-20 dollars.......... :largeapc: :b7:

This is somewhat true. Anybody remember when Rare released the first Donkey Kong Country, Miyamoto was upset about the game and stated that american gamers would buy anything as long as the graphics were good. I agree with him, working in a game store has taught me one thing, the "non"-hardcore gamer if you will, will go for the eye candy, I was recently asked at work about Phantom Brave by a teenager who was just getting into console Rpgs I explained to him about how great the gameplay and strategy were and he rented said game. Now this is a guy who is always there almost like clockwork, next time I saw him he said he hated the game. When I asked him why he simply stated "The graphics fuckin sucked". Now I understand why most Japanese publishers hesitate when bringing out a game, while in my mind the japanese gamer has a thirst for hardcore gaming, most of american gamers have an unfullfilled hunger for eye candy.

Pft, don't be dumb anti-big business people who hate on Square. It is dumb to say FFVII was NOT a major game. While many anti-FF people say it was inferior to Dragon Warrior, and though it may or may not be true, in the innovation department, DW was NOTHING compared to FFVII. FF7 did so many things for both the Playstation and the RPG genre, it is by far the most influential game to date. While the Playstation didn't have much to pride itself on except maybe Tomb Raider and Spyro, FF7 pulled the PS1 out of the Pit of Mediocrity and with Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, put the PS above the N64 and Saturn/Dreamcast for quality games. FF7 also brought sweeping changes to the RPG genre as a whole. It popularized turn-based combat, making it synonymous with RPGs. Also, it proved that fantasy games could take place outside of the times of dragon slaying, chivalry and princess saving and could be set in modern times, setting things up for other FFs, and dozens of other RPGs.

Now, as for independent game producers, so what if that's the end of them? Nobody wants to play games anymore that are made cheap, we're all done of being a red blob on a blue smear set on a green thing. To make the games we all play they need money, and not pocket change like back in the 80s. Plus, there are plenty of rags-to-riches stories in games. There's Retro Studios, Monolith Soft, Bethesda, all of which started virtually from scratch.

Can't argue with the graphics thing though, I hate how American "gamers" typically only own GTAs, Max Payne and Madden 2001-2005. But seriously, it was the Japanese who pushed graphics over plot and gameplay.

nobody mentioned ff7 now go see my list, pop quiz who is on my number 1? As far as independent producers go, how are they supposed to actually make it? EA isn't going to hire Mr. average Joe fresh out of Video game school, there has to be a place where a person in this field can refine their skills before hitting the big time, and graphics should not matter the least, I'd rather play tetris than let's say, Catwoman, Roadkill, Superman 64, etc, etc. And as far as ff7 being the first to place rpg's in another scenario than swords and sorcery, I may be mistaken but Persona came out first, if it didn't then the Shin Megami Tensei series was before ff7, and don't forget, the original Phantasy Star took out the rpg from the sword and sorcery realm, before it was common for rpgs to be in the sword and sorcery realm.

Reply to: spudlyff8fan:

While the Playstation didn't have much to pride itself on except maybe Tomb Raider and Spyro, FF7 pulled the PS1 out of the Pit of Mediocrity and with Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, put the PS above the N64 and Saturn/Dreamcast for quality games.

You forgot about the Crash Bandicoot series.

While those games did come out first, they weren't a fraction as important or popular as FF7. As for Crash Bandicoot, that series isn't really going as well as the RE and MGS series, so I chose to omit that one. But yeah, that was a fairly popular game.

Best story (not counting gameplay) I think MGS III takes it...of course it does not have the same depth of RPG's but what can you expect from a game that is only 1/3 of the length of an RPG.

It seems we are going into a "series" discussion. Mine would have to be Ratchet and Clank. Insomniac raised the bar with the three releases. Kudos to Naughty Dog (Jak series) and Sucker Punch (Sly Cooper) as well.

For me there are only 2 series that I claim any loyalty to, and that's Resident Evil and Suikoden. Sure, I own most of the FFs, and I've played Silent Hills and I've saved Zelda many times over...but I'm not rushing to go pick up SH4TR, FFCC or Minish Cap, while I did rush out to get Suikoden 4 and RE4.