Best game ever!!!

Best Game Ever!!

Wow, never thought I would hear Spawn and the word best in the same sentence :p I think the best PS2 game to date is a toss up between Suikoden III, Dark Cloud 2 and Disgaea.

Disgaia, Suikoden III was nowhere near as good as the first 2 and Dark Cloud 2 was great but it was no Disgaia. Who knew a 2d game would be this ass kickin finger lickin of a good time.

Having played through all 3 of the Suikoden games (and waiting in breathless anticipation, call me Frakenferter) for the 4th, I would have to disagree and say that Suikoden 3 was the better. More mechanics, longer game, and it was just harder than the first two. I cant remember the last time I put 70+ hours into ANY game.

Then you haven't played Dragon Warrior VII.

I also didn't think Suikoden III was the best in the series. Sure, it was "harder"(meaning you get less money, and there are more area bosses) and it was even "longer", but it wasn't as fun. The fights were tedious, and the combat was made more complex for no reasons that I can see. The buddy system was completely worthless, IMO.

RPG combat in general is boring. You sweat and work and barely survive. Nothin exciting about that. And I went through DW VII in about 25 hours. Nothing specail at all about that game imho. If DW VIII goes the same way, squenix will lose me as a customer alltogether, because I have truly given up on the Final Fantasy games.

Die Hard Trilogy????? It was alright a 7 out of 10 maybe. Speaking of psx games how about Valkry Profile, now why isn't there a sequel to that?

Saying the Final Fantasy Series sank with Final Fantasy VII is just someone who is looking into a rearview mirror and refusing to see down the road. FFVII was the hallmark game for the Playstation, and is largely responsible for making Sony the giant it is today.

There was innovation out the wazoo in FFVII, saying there wasn't is refusing to believe the grass is green.

FFVIII, I'm not saying it was bad, but I Understand.

RPG combat is constantly being redesigned to keep it from being boring, or at least having a reason to keep fighting. Sure, the combat itself is boring, but you play for the rewards. Skill points, mana points, it's all the same. (Gold = not a reward) The game that made combat most interesting was Legend of Dragoons, and: Super mario RPG. Superstar Saga is doing it also.

Normally, reading those insulting comments about Final Fantasy VII gets me pretty hot because it shows a refusal to change, but you levied it well with the Suikoden II comment. Suikoden II is the best RPG I've ever played, but it wasn't the storyline that kept me interested, it was all the little bits of character information and neat mini-games (wack a mole, I curse you!)

Combat in that game was boring as well, but I like finding new combinations. Suikoden III had that aspect right for combat, where it would tell you on the formation screen which character would form a combination attack.

Oh, and VP was made by Square Enix.

Yah I said die hard. Normaly the game is an avarage, but once you use cheats, its one of the funiest games evah. And from what I know, Die hard is the only console game that has a map editor so you could create levels they way you want to.

Didn't realize this thread was still moving, but to be completely honest FF VII ruined video games. It showed the Video Game Industry (hereafter refered to as Satan) that gamers want Style over Substance. Let me run this by everyone as slowly as I can: Pretty does not equal good. FF VII was all style and no substance at all. Now Satan believes that he can put out a really pretty game with no replay value, storyline or anything else for that matter and Joe Public will buy it.

I have to disagree. Final Fantasy VII made the rpg pop. That game raised the bar in the industry. In my mind without it games would not have the high production value they now have, or be of high quality. Don't forget it revitalized the rpg genre, without final fantasy the rpg might of gone the way of the dodo.

I disagree Kurruption. In fact there are very few things I disagree with more than wether or not FF VII did ANYTHING for video games. Square took a very good series of games simplified them so that anyone could play them and made them pretty to attract people to it. They ruined a perfectly good rpg system, shortened the length of time to complete rpg's and made it so people look for style over substance. The story was convuluted, the combat system dumbed down and took out things to simplfy the game that work flawlessly in other incarnations. RPG's have gotten worse because of it, to the point that I wish they would go the way of the dodo. I could be wrong....

the people who made Val Prof. and Chrono Cross made the soon to be released Baten Katios on GC. you should try that.

Replay Value in an RPG means the desire to play it over again. Very few RPG's will add something that makes the second time through worthwhile, or have something worth shooting for. Instead it's up to the person to decide if the combat and story is worth a second trip.

Oh, and last I checked, Satan is a business and their business is making money, therefore making games popular is a positive thing. I also don't think if FFVII hadn't blown the doors open for RPG's, who knows how many great japanese RPG"s you would be missing out on. Certainly Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile would not have come to America.

First of all I didnt like VP, second of all, the Suikoden games, quite like the Disgaea/La Pucelle Tactics games, are hardly popular enough to have been affected by the explosion that was FF VII. Just try to find a copy of Suikoden or Suikoden II. Then look at how many copies of FF VII and VIII are out there. And I would like to point out that Suikoden came out before FF VII about 9 months before hand and it was just as popular when released as it was after. It just goes to show that the average gamer has very little taste when it comes to games in general. Good games get promo, great games get tv time and amazing games fall through the cracks. I could be wrong....