Your Favourite Superhero Video Game

Stay Puft

Registered
Sep 21, 2015
Canada
Video games and superheroes seem like a match made in heaven. We've had our fair share of great superhero video games, and certainly a few that were absolute trash. So that being said, which is your favourite superhero video game of all-time?

Of the more recent ones, I'd definitely have to go with the Batman Arkham series. It's just blown me away with the combat and the way that it makes you feel like you ARE the Batman. In terms of older games, I'd have to pick The Death and Return of Superman for the Super Nintendo. It was based on the comic book event and was a really fun beat 'em up.

One video game that I remember as a favorite growing up was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, both I and II. I loved this game that was released for the NES if I'm not mistaken. The first version was cool enough and the game play was great. The second version had smoother graphics than the first one and also smoother game play, which one was best? I would have to go for the second one. The bosse there were great to play against.

During my youth, I would have answered with Spider-Man & Venom in Maximum Carnage on the SNES. There are arguably other Spider-Man games that make you feel more like Spider-Man, but Maximum Carnage was just an absolutely fantastic street brawler that really pushed the capabilities of the SNES. (It's sequel, Spider-Man & Venom in Separation Anxiety was fairly disappointing though.)

Also, lamanlupa is quite correct about the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle games being great as well. The original NES game was a bit more varied and excessively difficult at times, but all of its sequels were immensely fun street brawlers!

Today, however, I simply must echo Stay Puft's sentiment and vote for the modern Batman: Arkham series! There's a long history of great Batman games: Batman on the NES, Return of The Joker, The Adventures of Batman and Robin, etc. However, in addition to having vastly superior graphics, sound, and game-play: the modern Arkham series actually makes you feel like Batman in a way that none of the previous games did: actual detective work, stealth, tactical take downs, etc. In my opinion, there's just simply no contest here!

The Arkham series are the gold standard. The combination of incredible graphics, storylines and gameplay have made these day one, must buys for me. Arkham Knight was my personal favorite.

Some of my favorite older superhero games include Deadpool - for its creativity and humor, Viewtiful Joe, Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and of course Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Of course, by comparison, there have been some absolute stinkers when it comes to Superhero games through the years, honorable mentions include X-Men: Destiny, Catwoman and Superman for the N64.

I agree with the above: the Arkham games are, no contest, the best superhero games out there. (Though I wasn't a fan of Arkham Knight's ending.) But they have truly set a standard, and its going to be hard for others to beat them!

I remember liking the Crash Bandicoot games which were made in the 90's and enjoyed the graphics and also it was a nice series and Crash the main character was fast and could take any boss on in the games. It is nice to see a character who is well made and designed as well, also hope to see more games in the future which can make me enjoy myself while playing the game. It is amazing to have heroes in games who are appealing and have nice skills and also make it better which is nice and also enjoyable in the process.

Would Crash Bandicoot count as a superhero though?

Superhero is a fairly broad term, and certainly whether or not a certain character is one is open to debate on a case-by-case basis. In this context, I interpreted "superhero games" as "games about comic book superheros."

If we're going to expand this conversation beyond comic book superheros, then I would like to nominate the entire Mega Man franchise! I believe that Mega Man is very much a superhero in nearly every way! I hesitated earlier only because he didn't begin life as a comic book superhero, although on the other hand he is clearly largely derived from one: Astro Boy!

And if we're going to consider Crash Bandicoot to be a superhero, then certainly Sonic The Hedgehog is one as well! (And again, one at least largely derived from a comic book superhero: The Flash!)

If we're going to open up the definition of a "superhero game" like this, then there are a great many other video game protagonists that are now equally valid candidates: Earthworm Jim and Samus Aran immediately coming to mind as two additional examples. (As many heroes who don't technically have superpowers and instead utilize technology are often called superheroes regardless: Iron Man, Batman, Green Arrow, Blue Beetle, etc. Earthworm Jim and Samus Aran are equally valid as superheroes if we remove the sourced-from-comic-book restriction.)

Video games and superheroes seem like a match made in heaven. We've had our fair share of great superhero video games, and certainly a few that were absolute trash. So that being said, which is your favourite superhero video game of all-time?

Of the more recent ones, I'd definitely have to go with the Batman Arkham series. It's just blown me away with the combat and the way that it makes you feel like you ARE the Batman. In terms of older games, I'd have to pick The Death and Return of Superman for the Super Nintendo. It was based on the comic book event and was a really fun beat 'em up.

Great question! Does Marvel versus Capcom count as a superhero video game? If so, I would choose that as my favorite superhero video game. It is a fun one to play in groups of people at gatherings, swapping in and out. We have even done a round-Robin style tournament with this game before. I prefer playing as the Marvel superheroes over the Capcom characters.

I also second the props given to the Marvel versus Capcom series. I'm not all that into fighting games in general, but those games are an eminently fun button-mashing exception! A most excellent series!

I'll also add I think that Marvel versus Capcom most definitely counts as a superhero video game, simply because half of its characters are Marvel properties that everyone universally recognizes as prime, definitive superheroes and even among the Capcom camp are characters like Mega Man who are quite arguably also superheroes. If a video game featuring the likes of Spiderman, The Avengers, and the X-Men isn't a superhero game--then what game is?

No love for Ultimate Alliance? That was one of my favorites when it first came out. Both one and two were pretty spectacular. Just the thought of being able to have a bunch of awesome Marvel heroes on a team you can play as blew my mind. I would always play as Spider-man. On that note, I'd also say Spider-man 2, the movie tie-in. That also blew me away, being able to swing across new york as a spidey i'd grown to love on-screen. Very, very cool. Ultimate Spider-man was also pretty dope. The art style made it really unique, as well as it being based off the ultimate comics. I always thought the voice actor for Peter could get kind of annoying but nothing too bad. And being able to play as Venom was awesome.

I would have to say the Batman Arkham series. I do hate the combat system and all of the trophies. I do enjoy seeing more Batman characters brought to live. I felt cheated after the dark knight trilogy films, so I was so happy to start playing Arkham Asylum then Arkham city. I still need to play the other games in the series.

I didn't buy it but I also enjoyed Viewtiful Joe.

Reactions: aboleth_lich
Spider-Man series. This is my favorite superhero, actually. However, I enjoy Batman as well.

For me my favorite superhero video game was the amazing Spiderman because it was very great and unique type of video game. When I was in college it was one of my favorite pastime during vacant hours and it serves us my stress reliever during times when I feel so much headache in my subjects. I really like the game because it was full of action and adventure. Every stage is very challenging and complicated which really trigger me to play for it for a longer period of time. Besides Spiderman was my favorite superhero during my childhood years and even now that I am older than before I still love to play for it. I am looking for now for the new release of Spiderman games and I am very excited to have them in the future. I hope more innovation and improvements to come for new Spiderman games.

My favorite would have to be the Marvel Alliance games. All versions of this title I would consider good and would gladly play over and over again. What I love most about it is that there are tons of characters and combinations of teams you could use so you could replay it over and over and have a different experience each time as long as you use different ones. I also like that you are forced to be creative with how you mix the different teams so the powers of each hero will complement each other and so this way it becomes way more than just another beat 'em up game.

I would go for Marvel superheroes such as Spiderman, Wolverine, Magneto, Captain America and Cyclops. They are my all time favorite characters whenever I play Marvel vs. Capcom back then. Another one is Megaman, a superhero from Capcom. I used to like these heroes because whenever I play them, I usually end up winning the games. And of course, since I am a sentimental type of person, these heroes are making me nostalgic, which is actually good for me.

Video games and superheroes are certainly a match made in heaven, that is when the games are done right at least. And when they're done wrong, they are absolutely a match made in hell (I'm looking at you, Superman 64). Thankfully though, there have been a fair share of wonderful superhero themed video games that go back as far as the Super Nintendo era.

The SNES had a bunch of wonderful titles including The Adventures of Batman and Robin, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, TMNT: Turtles in Time, and Spider-Man: Maximum Carnage. These are just a few, but there are so many more. In my opinion, the SNES era was the golden age of superhero video games.

The fifth and sixth generation of consoles were a bit lackluster, but had some notable titles such as Spider-Man 1 and 2, Marvel vs. Capcom, and Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. All in all, I don't think it was a very memorable time for comic book gaming, outside infamous disasters such as the aforementioned Superman 64.

The seventh generation brought forth the Batman: Arkham series of games though, which are arguably the best superhero video games of all time. My favorite in particular is Arkham City, as it improved upon Arkham Asylum but didn't go off the deep end in the way that Arkham Knight did. I consider even Arkham Origins to be better than Arkham Knight.

Besides those, a few of the Spider-Man games that came out during the seventh generation were fairly good since they adapted systems similar to the Arkham series, and we obviously can't ignore the Lego superhero games which are all gems themselves.

I've really only played the Batman games on PC, and they were a real blast! Something about being able to sneak around while also going in "guns ablazing" was really cool. The atmosphere of the franchise really stayed true to the Batman theme, in my opinion as well.

When I was a punk teenage kid, my favorite superhero games were all arcade titles like X-MEN, Spiderman, Battletoads and Double Dragon.

My favorite is definitely the Arkham games with Batman; I love the gameplay and the plot, not to mention that Batman is my favorite superhero out of everyone.

I guess my favorite superhero video game would be marvel vs Capcom, every 90's kids really knows this games it is very popular game which is a collection of all marvel and Capcom heroes.