Your favorite generation of consoles?

Boxcube

Registered
Jan 18, 2015
What is your favorite generation of consoles? And why?

I will definitely go with the 6th-gen of Gamecube, PS2, and Xbox. I felt the graphical leap was sufficient enough over the rough goings of the intro to 3d gaming in the 5th gen. Online multiplayer was introduced to the consoles, (even though this has no appeal to me) and local multiplayer was still a priority, which was very important to me.

A lot of the games haven't aged that bad either, and some are still quite beautiful. Wind Waker for example. Controllers were solid on all 3 consoles, and the power difference between them wasn't too exaggerated.

We also had a lot more choices for sport games. Madden, NFL2K, and Blitz for football. Racing games were solid with Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport. And of course Grand Theft Auto became huge during this gen.

I think the 8 bit wars was the era that defined the video game movement. We were all exposed to the lame graphics and crappy game play that plagued the atari 2600. Game makers didn't put much effort into the games and industry went belly up.

Enter the NES and eventually the Sega Master System. It was a good time for video game enthusiast. It was a massive leaps and bounds from the Atari.

I like the Famicom, NES, etc's era the best. Probably because that era was the one that enthused me to being addicted to games :)) Another reason is because that era had low (but not so low) graphic quality (pixelated, limited colors & animations, etc.) but they still projected the game wonderfully -it was what you could really call "art" :D

I don't think I ever started to count them as generations. I'm an NES child born & raised. On the playground I never spent most of my days. Thanks Nintendo.

Reactions: PrideKidd
My favorite generation of games was ps2 era. I just found so many favorite games there and I thought they were all very unique and interesting. I even still consider them to be very innovative and unique in today's standards since a lot of the great games there were forgotten about and never remade.

Probably the SNES/Genesis era. Mostly because those are the games I return to the most. I of course do play other generation's games as well, but I found myself mostly playing SNES games whenever I feel like retro gaming. :)

My favorite console generation was definitely the NES generation hands down. I grew up on Mario and Zelda so it is hard to go with anything else here. Aside from Mario and Zelda, I spent most of my time on Tetris, Metroid and Star Tropics. Oh the days when I was younger and some one else paid the bills. @JoanMcWench The comment "On the playground I never spent most of my days" I cracked up! it totally reminded me of the childhood I could of had lol. :p

Man, I liked the SNES/Genesis but I also liked the N64 and PS2 equally.

Sadly, I skipped the whole SNES section of gaming. I went from NES to N64. The journey was long & hard. I normally didn't get consoles until everyone else was throwing theirs away.

I don't think anyone can be objective about this, it's always what you grew up with. I grew up with the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox generation, so that's my favorite. In a couple of years, kids will be talking about how they miss the 360/PS3 days. I could be wrong though!

The sixth generation is easily my favorite. The PS2 has always been my favorite console, and games like Metal Gear Solid 3, Devil May Cry 3, and Final Fantasy X are some of my favorite games of all time. Plus, my favorite game is Shadow of the Colossus... the art direction and gameplay are just so amazing with that one.

I thought the 16 bit wars was interesting. Back then it was sega, nec, and nintendo going at it. NEC Turbographix 16 could not gain ground on the Sega Genesis. Nintendo then released the SNES and eventually beat out the Genesis and raned supreme. After that it got tricky when sony entered the 32 bit wars.

Like many other people my age, I starting gaming around the time that Super Mario Bros 3 was released on the NES. As such, I have a lot of love for the NES and its later games in particular--but it's the 16-bit console wars between the Nintendo's SNES and Sega's Genesis immediately following that most strongly characterizes my peak childhood gaming years and thus stands out as my absolute favourite! Both of those legendary companies really pushed the capabilities of their respective consoles to their limits and produced a phenomenal library of games for them!

I've been gaming since the Sega master system and I think I've had every console that's ever been out at one time or another. My favourite of the lot was probably the PlayStation1 when that came out.

Not only was It such a massive leap to what we had been used to playing on before, it made a massive difference to the gaming industry as a whole and made people actually sit up and take note.

Last edited:
I remember playing the Nintendo 64 and would play games like Zelda and Super Mario on it and was quite enjoyable as the graphics were impressive for the time it came out, and would play with friends on the weekend. Some games on the Sega mega drive were good and some did not have good graphics and you had to tune the television, which was annoying at times as it could work sometimes and other times would not. The Sony Playstation had better games and also the graphics were really nice and had some good games which were Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot, also the Tekken series which was a nice series.

With so many systems being mentioned up to now, it makes me wonder how future generations will judge the systems we're playing on now. Will they look back fondly on the good old days of the PlayStation 4 and the XBOX ONE like we do now on the megadrive and the NES?

It would have to be the Nintendo system or NES (in mu country, it was known as the Nintendo Family Computer). The console that introduced me to videogaming and the console that made me associate the word computer to games. It was such an amazing machine, and it spawned countless of game titles. It simply was one of its kind.

It took the greatness of a console like the NES and its phenomenal library of games to rebuild the home video game market, and the consumer confidence within its products, following the great video games market crash of the early eighties! That alone places the NES firmly among the Top 5 greatest and most important home consoles period!

I guess my favorite console would definitely be Nintendo, they been around for a very very long time, they brought the gaming to a new level yes we can say that back in the days the popularity of playstation was incomparable, I mean playstation really stayed on the of other game console, but if it weren't for Nintendo, a lot of gaming concept won't become reality like handheld consoles.