Xmen Comix throwdown

Don't have any evidence for or against Iceman, but the answer I was looking for is Magneto! The Master of Magnetism can lay his lovin' on any woman, including the one unable to be touched by other men.

In the power rankings few mutants have the rating of Omega. Name the Xmen that are this powerful.

i'm not entirely sure, but I know that Magneto and Prof X are way, way up there. Others that might be up there are Cable/Nate Grey, Phoenix and Apocalypse,

I was speaking specifically of the team itself, which would mean that Phoenix and Iceman. That's right, Bobby Drake is actually one of the most powerful mutants on earth, he just doesn't think he's anything special. Colossus' brother alluded to it once, then melted him down to a puddle and reshaped him perfectly clear with icicle hair. Also in Age of Apocalypse, he was using his abilities in wicked-nasty ways, including teleportation!

This one's easy for true believers: How did Angel lose his wings, and how did he get them back?

They were damaged beyond repair by the Morlocks and amputated... then he was later given a set of cybernetic wings and lovely blue skin when he became a Horseman. He took the name Archangel at that time.

Here's a classic... what event was showcased on the cover of the last issue drawn by revolutionary *artist* John Byrne?

Last edited:
Why isn't it fair? it's TRUE X-men trivia, about their greatest artist/creator.

the "Fastball SPecial" is, in fact, a Byrne creation- it's when Colossus hurls Wolverine at an enemy. It debuted in the classic future issue where we see Reed and Sue Richard's son for the first time (before he was born, even), see Kitty as an adult, and are introduced to the concept of mutant concentration camps. Mutants have "M"s sewn on their jump suits instead of face tattoos, though...

On the same topic... in that issue, most of the Xmen are wiped out my Sentinals- describe the deaths of any two X-men from that issue (trying to think of stuff that can't just be Googled).

-M

That stuff was in Days of Future Past wasn't it (mutant concentration camps, Sentinels etc.). I seem also to remember "fastball specials" getting Wolvie blasted into skeletal remains in that one and Colossus going nuts knocking Sentinels out of the building until he was killed "offscreen".

I think the last issue of X-Men done by John Byrne featured a Christmas tree...weird. Was the event Christmas, or am I just completely wrong about the tree and what I remember would be Sauron in the background or something? I know at some point I owned that issue.

How did the X-Men end up being held captive by Magneto in Antarctica, and who were the only two "survivors" who reported that the rest of the X-Men had perished during an escape attempt?

That's a good one (I'll let someone else answer it though), and yes, Xmas invaded by aliens was the last Byrne X-men- nice. And yes, Wolvie's incinterted by a Sentinal blast in that issue... :cookiemon

Just to be honest about something: I haven't read X-Men in a number of years now. It's tough for me to spend money on too many hobbies (games, books, doomsday devices, etc.), so I'm not familiar with too many later storylines (I think my X-Men reading days ended after about 20 or so of the latest 'X-Men' title that Jim Lee started). That's why I dredge up all the wonderful stuff from the 60's to the 80's...woohoo!

As a current reader I can tell you there were very few storylines that were actually readable, the huge exception of course is the Grant Morrison ark, but my friends that is about to change, Joss Whedon is on his fire in his astonishing xmen run and Ed Brubaker is about to take over on Uncanny, trust me, this series will be gold

Even though I haven't bought any recently, I keep up with it. It appears that the stories have been getting much better.

New question: Who is Prof X's step-brother and how did he get his unique abilities?

scribe999 said:
How did the X-Men end up being held captive by Magneto in Antarctica, and who were the only two "survivors" who reported that the rest of the X-Men had perished during an escape attempt?

Oops, just wanted to remind people I still had a question out there.

And Charles Xavier's stepbrother is Cain Marko a.k.a. Juggernaut, correct? I think I remember that more clearly because of an episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. I also remember a gem of some kind that made Cain grow so big and tough.

Yeah, Scribe, I'm not sure of that question. It would be more of a guess, but I'll say Rogue and Gambit? I remember Mags being in the Savage Land, but I never got the end of that story arc

scribe999 said:
Oops, just wanted to remind people I still had a question out there.

And Charles Xavier's stepbrother is Cain Marko a.k.a. Juggernaut, correct? I think I remember that more clearly because of an episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends. I also remember a gem of some kind that made Cain grow so big and tough.

The gem is the Gem of Cyttorak, a toy Cain found while working for the U.S. Army in Korea.

Yeah, Xmen Unlimited 12 did a full development of both Cyttorak and Cain. Cyttorak was a demon that did a rampage through western russia, through mongolia, into China and then into Korea, and Gomurr (from Dr Strange) and Tar (some shmoe) sealed him into that stone.