Would you play games that were designed to help you mentally?

kariaramirepoix

Registered
Mar 9, 2015
I've been reading more and more about researchers looking into the benefits (rather than the detriments, for a change) that video games can have on people. Some games apparently help alleviate depression or anxiety. If psychologists and game developers worked on creating games that were specifically meant to help with certain mental problems, do you think you'd been interested in playing them? I'm going on the assumption that the games would hopefully also be kinda fun to play and not just cheesy, hokey feel-good stuff.

I think I'd be happy to give it a shot. I could always do with less depression and anxiety, and whatever else, in my life. What do you think?

Not only will I play these games because I like the challenge and want to improve my intellect as well, these will be the kinds of games that I will introduce to my kids first. I will attempt to make the smartest kids in the world you'll see. My daughters don't like computer games very much but my son absolutely digs them. If I let them play these things while they're young they might finish college by the time they turn 14.

Reactions: henry55
As long as it's not too blatant and on the nose then I wouldn't have a problem with it. If it is built more as a game instead of having too much of a heavy hand focusing on treatment then I wouldn't mind. I think for something like this to work they really have to come up with something that wouldn't make it feel like treatment and rather just a straight up game.

That's absolutely fine with me and I would likely play games that will help me mentally. As someone who has been through and is currently experiencing bouts of depression, I think this is one way of trying to overcome my anxiety, though I don't think it's proven to be really effective. However, it's really up to us. So why not give it a try?

I love them. My little niece has her IPad full of those thinking games. She let me play a few and I just couldn't stop. I like games that make you think, not just run and shoot the monster. Same things with movies, that's why I don't watch those stupid comedies that are coming out these days.

Here's a link my friend shared to me on Facebook a while back:
http://www.businessinsider.com/heath-benefits-of-video-games-2013-9?op=1

Anyway, I'm the kind of person that would play a game mainly for its entertainment value and nothing else. If they make games that are specifically made to improve a person, they have to make it entertaining. Otherwise, it will be useless because the majority of game sales will hinge on its entertainment value.

The mental benefits have to be gained unconsciously for me to buy an "educational" game. Just labeling one an educational game may even discourage me from buying it either for me or my nieces and nephews.

I would love to play a game like that, in my opinion I think they would still be fun, and obviously the benefits would be a huge plus. I mean, this idea isn't exactly new, because they have Brain Age games for Nintendo that supposedly help with memory and what not. I actually tried a couple of them and they weren't bad to play, and I guess they may have worked, to be honest I'm not sure. I enjoy puzzle games so I'm always up for mind stimulation, I especially love 'Professor Layton' games for DS because they are so engaging, challenging, and still fun. If there was a way to meld the two, then yeah I think it would be great.

I think that would be one of the best things that would have came from gaming. Not only would it be fun, entertaining and intrigueing, the game would benefit mentally people who need it the most. This kind of stuff would really be a breaktrough. Who wouldn't want a game that might save someones' life?

There have been lots of the mind strengthening games, I can't remember the names but we had lots for the DS a few years back. I remember getting one for Christmas and we all took turns having a go. On the first try it worked out your mental age, mine was a lot older at the time than my dad who obviously is older than me.

I remember mum playing her's for months religiously trying to improve her memory but I am not sure it's done any long term help.

How long would you have to play these games for them to actually have a long term affect?

Are they of similar style to the memory improvement games, or games designed to be played that somehow subconsciously help improve cognitive skills?

Here's an article from Game Informer about how playing games affects dreams. I remember a different article about games in development that are emotion based. I wish I could remember exactly what that was about. If I find it I'll post it.

I, for one, would be interested in playing games that could improve my outlook on life. I'm a home-schooling mom, and I've seen my daughter indirectly pick up lots of information from games, such as geography and the Renaissance (Assasin's Creed).

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...-playing-games-affects-the-sleeping-mind.aspx

I enjoy playing puzzle games all the time, it stimulates you mentally. I've also recently been playing Influent, which is a great way to start learning words in other languages!

Actually I would so play games that helped me mentally. In fact, I had the math version of Brain Age that I used to take with me when I would go to the bathroom (sorry for the TMI), and I would spend about 20 minutes just playing and solving puzzles. At first, my score was pretty low. So low, my brain age registered close to 70. However, after several months of sticking with it, I ended up moving my brain age from around ~70, down to around ~50, and was doing fairly well for myself. I even noticed myself getting better with math all around.

So I would completely endorse and buy a game that was designed to be educational, fun, and help me improve my intelligence.

Games that challenge the brain are about the only online games I play. Have any of you ever watched Brain Games? It is awesome and explains why I like mentally challenging games. Many games these days are all about shooting people or robbing people. Why not create more games to benefit our brains?

I've been reading more and more about researchers looking into the benefits (rather than the detriments, for a change) that video games can have on people. Some games apparently help alleviate depression or anxiety. If psychologists and game developers worked on creating games that were specifically meant to help with certain mental problems, do you think you'd been interested in playing them? I'm going on the assumption that the games would hopefully also be kinda fun to play and not just cheesy, hokey feel-good stuff.

I think I'd be happy to give it a shot. I could always do with less depression and anxiety, and whatever else, in my life. What do you think?
Yes I would give those games a try if given the opportunity. Lumosity has brain developing games so why not have games that help with stress and even anger management. Those kind of games are more likely to help people benefit from reality.

This sounds very interesting and I would love to try it. Anything that has to do with brain development is a plus and I am sure that a lot of people would be interested in such games. It would be a good use of technology and games to help with educational development.

I love thinking/brain teaser type games. A series I absolutely love and would like to own the collection is the Professor Layton series. There are a couple of puzzles I cant seem to figure out but I enjoy them anyway. When one gives me a hard time and I finally figure it out, it's such a good feeling. LOL

My only question is this:

Where do I sign up?

I love a good majority of games, but if it's a game that helps me with whatever is plaguing me mentally, I'm all for it. I suffer from seasonal depression, mostly. (I HATE the cooler months because of this!) If it's something like Big Brain Academy or Flower, even Katamari, I'll be there playing it. (Even though, when you think about it, Katamari is a BIT on the sadistic ide...Rolling people up, then sending them hurdling into space at high speeds JUST to be a star... or stardust...just classy.)

I personally love games that are meant to help with cognitive abilities because I have some conditions that cause a lot of pain, which can affect cognitive function and short term memory. I tend to play the cognitive conditioning game to help myself stay more alert. I'm all for games that help with anxiety and depression too! I think that would be great!