Will Sony dominate the fighting game genre with the PS4?

thepieeatingjay

Registered
Nov 6, 2014
Yes, I know the XB1 has Killer Instinct. But that's a free 2 play game and it hasn't have much of an impact on the fighting game world.

Sony however has Guilty Gear exclusive to their systems, Ultra Street Fighter 4 "next gen" exclusive to their system, Injustice "next gen" exclusive. And Street Fighter 5 exclusive to the PS4.

The SF5 decision in particular will have a massive influence on the genre as a whole.

To me, Sony is looking to fully lockdown the fighting game side of things

Has the release date for Street Fighter V been announced yet? I keep checking but haven't been able to find any official confirmation as to when this will be released.

It also really depends on what Street Fighter V is. It looks like it's a long way off. I think a hindrance in general is the cost of the joysticks since many of them need to be bought new. I hacked my old school MAS sticks for last gen but it was a pain and I don't want to do that again. At this point the answer is yes. GG is great but Street Fighter is still the number one franchise in the genre and it isn't close.

It also really depends on what Street Fighter V is. It looks like it's a long way off. I think a hindrance in general is the cost of the joysticks since many of them need to be bought new. I hacked my old school MAS sticks for last gen but it was a pain and I don't want to do that again. At this point the answer is yes. GG is great but Street Fighter is still the number one franchise in the genre and it isn't close.

That depends on how you classify the "number one" franchise. I think Gundam Extreme Versus may have made more money than Street Fighter 4, maybe sans the constant kit upgrades for the SF4 arcade versions.

That depends on how you classify the "number one" franchise. I think Gundam Extreme Versus may have made more money than Street Fighter 4, maybe sans the constant kit upgrades for the SF4 arcade versions.

True, I wasn't talking about sales per say more like overall perception. PS4 also has Injustice which is fun for a little while. If you are comparing both consoles Killer Instinct isn't going to trump the PS4 exclusive Street Fighter V. I would think they lead the way. This is probably a yearly exclusive meaning the upgrades, Turbo or whatever might make it over the Xbox.

@dillinger-

A date for the game hasn't been revealed/ announced yet. All we know is that Sony is funding it and that it will be for computers as well.

And guys, in terms of what fighting game is number 1, just ask yourselves, when people globally think of fighting games, what game comes to people's minds first and foremost. That's why for the most part Street Fighter is currently the #1 spot.

Reactions: dillinger10
If they have really locked down SFV as an exclusive then I'd say they have a good chance of becoming the top contender for fighting games. However, I suspect that the exclusivity is only for a limited time because I doubt Capcom would allow themselves to be limited in that way. I could be wrong of course but if games become console exclusives again then I have to say I am a little bit curious as to what that would look like.

True, I wasn't talking about sales per say more like overall perception. PS4 also has Injustice which is fun for a little while. If you are comparing both consoles Killer Instinct isn't going to trump the PS4 exclusive Street Fighter V. I would think they lead the way. This is probably a yearly exclusive meaning the upgrades, Turbo or whatever might make it over the Xbox.

They also have Tekken 7. Which I *think* may only be PS4 and PC as well? At least going by the brand exclusivity so far.

And guys, in terms of what fighting game is number 1, just ask yourselves, when people globally think of fighting games, what game comes to people's minds first and foremost. That's why for the most part Street Fighter is currently the #1 spot.

[citation needed]. Not only you can't just say "this game is #1 because of this reason", because nothing like "#1 game overall" doesn't exist, you are also underestimating the Tekken audience. It's not too huge when it comes to competitive scene, but I would argue there's more casual players of Tekken than there is of SF4.

I wouldn't doubt Sony will start out strong once again with fighting games when it comes to the Playstation 4. Their pretty good about making games similar to that early on in the marketing process for selling their consoles. I think it's because of how easily fighting games sell though.

They also have Tekken 7. Which I *think* may only be PS4 and PC as well? At least going by the brand exclusivity so far.

[citation needed]. Not only you can't just say "this game is #1 because of this reason", because nothing like "#1 game overall" doesn't exist, you are also underestimating the Tekken audience. It's not too huge when it comes to competitive scene, but I would argue there's more casual players of Tekken than there is of SF4.

Well let's see. It sold more than any other fighting game. It also is entered into EVERY competitive event. Tekken is good, but I'm not disregarding the Tekken fanbase. I just know it's NOT AS BIG as the SF fan base.

If it were, it would be the first thing people mention when they talk of fighting games. It would also be the primary fighting game for the major tournaments. Just the way you sit here saying I can't say SF is "number 1", how can you sit here saying Tekken has more casual gamers?

I wouldn't expect anything less from Sony. If they have the goods to lock it down then we are going to have some great fighting games for PS4. I can't wait to dive right in and enjoy what will be coming out.

Well let's see. It sold more than any other fighting game. It also is entered into EVERY competitive event. Tekken is good, but I'm not disregarding the Tekken fanbase. I just know it's NOT AS BIG as the SF fan base.

If it were, it would be the first thing people mention when they talk of fighting games. It would also be the primary fighting game for the major tournaments. Just the way you sit here saying I can't say SF is "number 1", how can you sit here saying Tekken has more casual gamers?

"Since the release of the first Street Fighter game in August 1987, the series has had total home software sales of 35 million units by 2014"

"As of August 2010, the Tekken franchise sold 41 million units of games"

Not even close.

"It also is entered into EVERY competitive event." <- again, false. There are many events that do not have SF in their lineup.

"It would also be the primary fighting game for the major tournaments." <- casual and competitive players are completely different thing. Especially for fighting games. Persona 4 Arena was one of the most profitable arcade games in years, yet it barely had any completitive scene.

I think Sony will do well, and will be good for the business as they have and also can make changes to the genre and on the PS4 it will look better. I think they will, make a good marketing promo and also Tekken is different is from the Street fighter series as the characters can look real and also different stories take place and can be different to how the game is viewed. Sony could maybe make some changes, and it will maybe make the experience more enhanced and enjoyable on the latest console.