Why the stigma surrounding gaming?

I still remember being told that once you'll grow up, you won;t have time to play games as they are only for kids. I was really determined to never give up on my hobby and I never did. I still love games as much as I used to when I was a kid. I think, most people think that games are only for kids and hermits who don;t want to socialize.

Reactions: Zyni
Most people who bash gaming are pretty ignorant about most games. I think the stigma comes from that ignorance. Most people who play games are normal, well adjusted people who play for a couple hours during the week. There's no difference in playing games or watching TV. They are practically the same thing. A leisure activity.

Reactions: Zyni
Most people who bash gaming are pretty ignorant about most games. I think the stigma comes from that ignorance. Most people who play games are normal, well adjusted people who play for a couple hours during the week. There's no difference in playing games or watching TV. They are practically the same thing. A leisure activity.
Now a days when you hear gamers its mainly those people who play call of duty or those 3 year olds on the controller.

While I think the stigma is less than it once was, I still see a lot of bad attitudes toward gamers and gaming. I realize some people get "addicted" and ignore all else to play games. That is of course bad, but most people can control themselves. I don't see what is so much worse about enjoying a game for a couple hours in the evening instead of watching TV for the same amount of time. At least games are interactive.

People who don't play games don't understand the appeal. They view it as an addiction because that's what they are told to believe. I have seen a study recently that gamers who play co-op games make better drivers because of their skill at scanning, being aware of what is going on around them, and looking out for others. There are other studies that show benefits of gaming, but people tend to hold on to their beliefs because it is easier than changing your mind. That being said, I think the stigma has diminished over the years.

They make a stigma about anything. I really think our society doesn't like to see people happy and make up stuff. Think about how many people would be out of a job if we were all really happy. It's a motive behind all the fake stigmas and people always need someone to blame even when it's clearly not their fault. Kid shoots up a school, lets blame video games. Whole time the kid could have simply been born unstable.

True. Gaming is still nerdy, but some games are becoming more and more acceptable. Halo, CoD, Madden, are good examples. Any popular iphone/Android game is acceptable usually. I don't see this as a bad thing though. It just means that slowly, but surely, games are becoming more acceptable. There was a time (not too long ago) that even the popular games weren't socially acceptable.

Lols. I've met a few people like that in my lifetime. I don't fit the typical gamer stereotype (like I'm sure a lot of people here don't) so I've gotten weird looks/reactions when people find out how big of a gamer I really am. Don't know much about the girl or guy you are talking about, but sounds like the guy is much better off without a girl like that.

When you say 'school', I'm just guessing middle school or high school, correct? That behavior just sounds really immature. Definitely something I wouldn't be surprised to see in my high school though. People too concerned with 'fitting in' or whatever the heck else they are worrying about. Glad those days are far behind me..lol.

You're right about that- gaming really hasn't really become acceptable up until now. It's a good sign of things to come, but it's still annoying how playing CoD makes you 'cool', while playing something like the Legend of Zelda seems to convince people that you're a 'loser'. Hopefully all gaming will become acceptable one day.

Yeah, I didn't know much about the guy, but I'm pretty sure he was better off without her. It was in high school during my freshman year. The guy also drew anime, and the girl found his anime pictures online and made fun of his drawings with a bunch of her friends. I felt so bad for him. :( I'm glad I've graduated high school, but as a freshman in college, the pressure to 'fit in' is still there :/

People are just too quick to judge others, I think.

I always hear how gaming is being unsociable, yet I started gaming to be more sociable. I live out in the boonies, and there's nothing to do around here. So, I can log on, jump in vent, and play and chat with people from all over the world.

You're right about that- gaming really hasn't really become acceptable up until now. It's a good sign of things to come, but it's still annoying how playing CoD makes you 'cool', while playing something like the Legend of Zelda seems to convince people that you're a 'loser'. Hopefully all gaming will become acceptable one day.

There was a time, not too long ago, when you weren't cool no matter what game you played. So, even though not all games are 'cool', the fact that it's cool to play a few games is still progress to me.

Yeah, I didn't know much about the guy, but I'm pretty sure he was better off without her. It was in high school during my freshman year. The guy also drew anime, and the girl found his anime pictures online and made fun of his drawings with a bunch of her friends. I felt so bad for him. :( I'm glad I've graduated high school, but as a freshman in college, the pressure to 'fit in' is still there :/

Lol, totally know what you mean about college. At first it was like that for me, then I just stopped caring and things were better. There are some people who never grow up and act like high schoolers their entire lives. I figured all that drama and immaturity ended with high school, but you can find it in college, and even after college. Thankfully it's easier to get away from it all. High school is like a little bubble, and, even if you try and get away from the immaturity, there's only so far you could go, seeing as how there were only a certain number of students. Not that way once you graduate and start working. You'll still get your fair share of immaturity at work and whatnot, but you have more control over the situation and you can leave if you want.

While I think the stigma is less than it once was, I still see a lot of bad attitudes toward gamers and gaming. I realize some people get "addicted" and ignore all else to play games. That is of course bad, but most people can control themselves. I don't see what is so much worse about enjoying a game for a couple hours in the evening instead of watching TV for the same amount of time. At least games are interactive.
I think that provided you're able to control yourself and set your boundaries then there's nothing wrong in indulging in games.Games are interactive and i would rather play a game than watch T.V myself.

I agree with you OP, there is nothing wrong with gaming for a few hours instead of watching the TV for the same amount of time. I still see people that think that gaming is way worse than watching TV, but these kind of people are not in the majority. A lot of people are starting to see that there is no harm gaming for a few hours a day.

That annoys me the most. I bet a lot of those people that view gaming as a lazy mans hobby wouldn't think twice if all those hours of gaming were spent watching netflix all day instead. In my eyes, there is no difference between netflix and gaming. Gaming can actually be a bit more social and definitely less lazy since you actually have to think to game, whereas netflix you can literally just vegetate for hours on end.

Yes I agree. People are so quick to judge others- them spending hours and hours on their leisure activities is perfectly acceptable, but they want to go ahead and judge other for preferring different activities. It's really rather immature. I love vegging out with Netflix, too, but I don't judge people for their preferences overall ;).

I still remember being told that once you'll grow up, you won;t have time to play games as they are only for kids. I was really determined to never give up on my hobby and I never did. I still love games as much as I used to when I was a kid. I think, most people think that games are only for kids and hermits who don;t want to socialize.
That's a very poor perception and on the contrary, i think games cut across all age barriers and as long you've got the time and the passion,games are real fun and a great way to pass time constructively.

I think as more people get into gaming, the stigma will lessen further. You see all types of people playing games now, even FB or mobile games, that would have never played video games in the past. As games continue to cross demographic lines, I think we'll see an even bigger change in attitude.

Gamers used to be viewed as a stinky young guy with Cheeto stained fingers and Mountain Dew breath lying around his mama's basement, lol. Now we see mama, and even grandma and grandpa, playing games. Sometimes whole families play together. People of all ages like to have fun.

I also think it's a great way for people who don't live nearby to connect. My one daughter is in another state at school and she, my youngest daughter, and I can all jump on WoW to chit chat, play, and have fun.

Because it's the new thing. When people finally started learning to read (the majority, not just the village priest or the king), parents complained because their children were staying in their homes, reading instead of going outside.

When movies became big, parents complained that their children will watch movies instead of reading books or going out.

Now, parents complain that their kids are staying in their house all day playing games instead of watching a movie/reading a book/going out.

I think the next step will be with Virtual Reality. "John? John! Are you on the Virtual Nintendo again? Why can't you play normal computer games!"

Yeah, I think like most other things people tend to assume that everyone is like the vocal minority which often isn't the case. Most people who are in certain communities are often just like everyone else and enjoying their interests casually.