Why do you keep buying the Pokemon games?

Webene

Registered
Dec 24, 2014
What is it about the Pokemon games that keeps us coming back? Some might say that each new game that is released feels repetitive, but nonetheless people are still buying these games. I have always loved these games, from the start where you choose your starter Pokemon, to the end when you look through your entire list. It is also a simple concept that is easy to understand. Also, every time that I play, there is a lot of nostalgia which I think contributes to the popularity. So, why do you play Pokemon?

I agree that it's repetitive but it is a formula that never gets old. There is really no other game that plays like Pokemon. Some games have tried to emulate the gameplay of Pokemon but none have ever succeeded. I have always enjoyed the games ever since Sapphire came out on the DS.

Reactions: Plus
I myself am not entirely sure why I love the games. I've been playing since I borrowed my friend's copy of Sapphire, so many years ago, and I've bought at least one of each pair of games they've released ever since. Perhaps it's the nostalgia; I have so many fond memories associated with Pokemon games. It's also the adventure, really. It's so much fun to turn on your new game and walk around and discover (or rediscover, in the case of remakes) a new world. The lore and legends surrounding the Pokemon universe/universes are pretty amazing, too!

I'm willing to admit nostalgia may be a part of it, but I don't think that matters. All I know is every year I lose 100+ hours of my life to a new Pokemon game with a big dumb smile on my face the whole time.

Alone there's something about the adventure and customization to my team. Every time I play a new one, my party never looks the same and I never play or level up the same way or play the same adventure. I think this alone gives the game tons of replay value as it is, what with them introducing a new world and Pokemon with each game.

Of course from there they still happen to have a reasonable meta game for multiplayer for competitive people that anyone can get into. It's a patient game and doesn't require unreal amounts of practice for pinpoint precision and reflexes. I think this is what makes the Pokemon meta game and it's multiplayer so loved and what makes others have so much fun playing it, and it's a huge reason on why I enjoy the games and it never seems to get old with each entry.

I stopped buying myself Pokemon games a long time ago. They have ALWAYS been repetitive, but I stopped because better games came out. I'm still a fan of the series at heart, but the original games had a lot more of the wow factor, even compared to the 3D versions of Pokemon that are now coming out.

For me they are just great RPGs, with heaps of customization and an interesting, big world to explore. Even though the formula stays the same, it is always enjoyable, at least for me.

The formula clicks for me. Ever since I got my hands on Pokemon Red it was a wrap for me. Something was very well done for me to come back to a game with the same basic concept after all this years. Each entry always bring something new or different to help the formula mix things up. Although it isn't really groundbreaking what new entry brings, those subtle changes always make the difference. So that's basically it for me.

For as long as I can, I will always play these games. They have something that always brings most back and that is being a fun game.

I bought them out of habit more than anything, but that's a habit I kicked after X & Y released. I'm sure I'll be buying the Pokemon games like OR & AS that I've missed sometime, I just haven't had the motivation to do so.

I agree with some of the others, I think that it is mostly nostalgia. We grew up playing Pokemon, so it is just exciting to know we can still play it today on a new console, even though it is still quite the same as it was. I freaked out when Alpha Sapphire and Omega Rudy came out because I was going to get the Hoenn experience all over again. I mean, I have like it so far but lets be honest...it really isn't anything new.

Like a lot of other people, it's a lot about the nostalgia, and also a lot about my interest in it. The games just have always brought me a lot of joy!

What keeps me buying every Pokemon game is getting to raise the new Pokemon that are introduced each game. They definitely are repetitive, but to me that is part of the charm of the series. Sometimes I just want to play a game that feels familiar.

Literally stopped playing after the Platinum edition(the one with Giratina). I just lost interest with all the new crappy pokemon they are introducing into the game. The characters and pokemon are all so different, but I guess the new generation of kids will still like the same concept of the game.

Personally I've stopped buying the new pokemon games installation by installation, I usually only bother to buy after every major upgrade. The last one I owned was Platinum version, and I'm now considering buying X or Y, the introduction of 3D in SoulSilver and its counterpart were nice, but it wasn't enough for me. The Mega Evolutions however are enough for the game to feel different enough. Of course, Pokemon games that aren't along the general line like Colosseum or an XD Gale of Darkness (not new, but just for example) are always worth a buy too. I think we buy these games mostly for nostalgia value, and for the younger ones for enjoyment because it's new to them. That said, we still have to give Nintendo some credit for mixing it up enough, maybe not enough for us older ones, but they still manage to give each installment a little flavour.

Oh, man. This question made me laugh so hard to myself. These games have been obsolete to me for years. When I was younger Blue was the jam but since then games have really taken leaps & bounds to pass it. Even solely RPGs.

I keep asking myself that question, why do I keep buying the latest Pokemon game? At this point I actually prefer the remakes with less Pokemon. Pokemon X & Y felt over saturated with the 900+ Pokemon to catch. At times I miss the original 150 to collect. Times were simpler then.

The gameplay remains the same, and it gets incredibly repetitive, but we get new pokemons and a whole new world to explore, with new gym leaders and a new story! And like some people said, the familiarity makes it easier to 'get into' the game and really enjoy it.

It is repetitive but a tried and true formula. Players new and old alike can pick up any title and play it for that reason. Then there's new pokemon and areas to explore that expand on it a bit.

It's kind of like McDonalds. It's not the greatest thing in the world and yes it does get repetitive at times, but man, there's no substitute for when you're bored/hungry at 2am and you just want something to keep you entertained. At least that's what it's like for me. Maybe others are into it because of the nostalgia?

While the formula might be getting a little old it's still great fun. The lots of tiny additions just draw people into playing the next generation game. For example, the introduction of Fairy-type Pokemon, fully 3D sprites and of course the new legendaries.