Who knows how to play Chess?

King Draco

Registered
Feb 6, 2015
I love playing chess. It is really strategic and I consider it to be a relaxer to the mind. Who agrees with me? Who actually knows how to play chess?

Reactions: Mimii
I play chess casually, but I don't like playing with "pros" since I dislike rote memorization. It's quite sad that the game has devolved into predefined openings which give either side an advantage. I'd much rather play against a person that hasn't learned any openings as well so we are start off at an even footing in the midgame.

I know how to play it, but not how to play it well. I get steamrolled whenever I play with someone in-person or online. I'll probably never be much better as it since I'm not too interested in getting better, I don't really have the opportunity to play enough to justify the investment.

I have always wanted to learn how to play chess but I have never found the time needed to fully learn the game. How long would you estimate it takes to at least be competitive? I really like games that challenge me and make me think.

I love playing chess! For me, I'm better in person than I am online. I prefer the feel of the pieces, watching my opponent, feeling the stress of the moment that could make or break you. I learnt how to play when I was 11 because all of my friends knew how to and I was sick of being left out. The best way to learn, like anything else, is putting in the hours, it just happens to be that these hours were fun and not boring or labor intensive!

I'm like Macho; I'm much better in person than online. I like the feel of the pieces, how the opponent reacts or the look in his eye as your scanning the board. It's just about as indepth as reading your opponent can get; and still paying ample attention to the board. Also, don't try to take out any serious chess players with any 5-or-under movesets, as that commonly traps people in a game they can't win from wasted moves. If you can tell your opponent is of quality, don't question him and just treat him fairly.

I also can play online but I'm not as into it, or nearly as good.

I'm actually happy that people knows how to play chess, or at least tried it out. I play online, but rather play in person. That's rare though

I enjoy playing chess and played it loads in my childhood with my father, very occasionally I get my ass handed to me by my girlfriend as well, sucks.

I have to admit to something: I actually came here to find out who DOESN'T know how to play chess & what in the world is wrong with them??? How do you get anywhere in life without knowing how to out think your opponents next move. I reference chess at work more than I do when I'm PLAYING chess. :D

Are there really people that don't know how to play chess? Personally, I love playing, even though I rarely get the opportunity to do so, since my friends are not interested in playing board games and I hate playing online. The only exception to this would probably be the chess even in World of Warcraft, but I highly doubt that this counts as playing online chess. For some reason I also enjoy watching professionals play chess, even though it always takes them ages to play a single match.

I use to be on the chess team in high school. I was just because some of my friends had asked me to because I had always played casually. Honestly, I am not the best at strategy or thinking a few steps ahead. I never did to well against anyone else but it was a great game to make me think.

Doesn't matter if you're the best; Chess teaches you how to out think people. It's a game of reading into things, not a thousand steps down the line or anything, but the way they look, their breathing as they choose their piece, the amount of conviction they put in. It all just keeps you coming back for more. That and the fact we all like to win and nobody truly likes to lose. And games are a good way to remain social.

I tried playing chess when I was a child, but I have never really became an expert in this board game. My dad is a good chess player though. Sadly, I didn't inherit his genes. :(:D

I know the VERY basics. All the rules and strategies I saw in The Queen's Gambit is far beyond my skillset.

My grandfather taught me how to play chess. He was that very good. I have seen him lose to anyone and I have never beaten him. I play chess online games too and it's fun.

When you can now play the game of chess on your smartphone. There are so many chess game available on both Google Play Store and Apple Store. It's from them, that I learnt how to play chess.

I don't really know how to play chess but I have always wanted to learn how to play chess though.

Chess was something my brother used to absolutely love and no matter how much he taught me how to play it, he never was able to teach me fully and I still struggle with it even now. Checkers was always the game I preferred over chess, to be honest. My eldest son got a chess set for the family at Christmas and he has tried to teach me as well and as much as I am fully understanding it a little more, I do feel I need more time to learn it.

I love playing chess. It is really strategic and I consider it to be a relaxer to the mind. Who agrees with me? Who actually knows how to play chess?
I have been playing online chess game for more than 10 years. It's one of my favorite board games. I also enjoy playing Chess offline with my friends using the chess board. It's a very strategic game.

I'm actually happy that people knows how to play chess, or at least tried it out. I play online, but rather play in person. That's rare though
Playing chess isn't that difficult if you practice how to play it for a long time. I'm very good at sacrificing my pawns to get the big prize, the king .