Which do you prefer? Sims 3 or Sims 4?

megankl

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
Hey Everyone! I was just looking for some opinions here! I wanted to know what Sims game you liked the best? Sims 3 or Sims 4? I was looking forward to Sims 4 for sooo long and when it finally came out, I was sooo disappointed. It wasn't what I was expecting at all. I hated it, and am back to Sims 3. Maybe it will be better when all the expansions come out but as of right now I am not a fan.

Sims 4 feels like a very incomplete game, many of the elements which used to be in the Sims 3 are missing. (e.g. young Sims go straight from infant to schoolkid now, toddler stage is GONE). I feel like some of the elements are probably going to be introduced as cash-grabbing DLC. Definitely do not recommend buying the Sims 4 at this point in time.

I didn't really play the Sims 4, but I heared so much about the missing elements in the game. I played Sims 3 and I must say that the Sims 4 would feel incomplete for me if I would play it. If I were you I wouldn't buy the Sims 4 at this time, but wait a little while and see what happens with the game next.

I loved the Sims 3 and have all the expansion and stuff packs for it. However, I am really loving the Sims 4. Yes there's loading screens and the towns are a bit small, but they've taken the game back to it's roots and improved a lot of base parts of the game - like creating Sims and building homes. The new build mode is so great, I love it. I've been designing really awesome houses in it.

Thank you all for your responses! I played the demo online when it came out and I definitely think I am going to wait because I love everything about Sims 3, and will be so disappointed with it gone.

I prefer the Sims 3 compared to the Sims 4. The Sims 4 seems to have come out much too early and it's missing a lot of what made the earlier Sims games a blast to play. That being said, once we get a few expansion packs for the Sims 4, my stance on the matter might change. However, for now, the Sims 3 is my favored of the two.

Thank you all for your responses! I played the demo online when it came out and I definitely think I am going to wait because I love everything about Sims 3, and will be so disappointed with it gone.
If you get the Sims 4, there is no reason for the Sims 3 to be gone. You can have both installed a the same time (I do), so you can play both.

I only have Sims 3, but I've watched people play Sims 4, and I immensely prefer Sims 3. It's disappointing that so many features were removed from Sims 4, like the swimming pool. I understand that it takes a long time to create games like these, but Sims 4 still could have been a lot better. Some features have been in the Sims games for a long time, and there was no excuse to just suddenly remove a bunch of them.

I only have Sims 3, but I've watched people play Sims 4, and I immensely prefer Sims 3. It's disappointing that so many features were removed from Sims 4, like the swimming pool. I understand that it takes a long time to create games like these, but Sims 4 still could have been a lot better. Some features have been in the Sims games for a long time, and there was no excuse to just suddenly remove a bunch of them.
They put swimming pools back already, along with a bunch of other stuff, for free. They will continuously add content - some for free, some for a price. The fact they are doing a lot for free now is very encouraging.

Oh yeah and swimming pools now have more features than they did in the Sims 4. Like you can easily build an indoor pool in your home (on any level), and move/resize it just like any other building element. It was worth the wait.

They put swimming pools back already, along with a bunch of other stuff, for free. They will continuously add content - some for free, some for a price. The fact they are doing a lot for free now is very encouraging.

Oh yeah and swimming pools now have more features than they did in the Sims 4. Like you can easily build an indoor pool in your home (on any level), and move/resize it just like any other building element. It was worth the wait.

Wow, really? I'm very happy to hear that! I'm actually kicking myself now for not knowing that earlier, haha. If the Sims 4 is improving itself, I might actually consider buying it, especially if some features can be bought for free. I want my sims to have an indoor swimming pool, too. :D Thank you for the info!

Reactions: Kleineganz
What? Sims 4 is out? I really had no idea it came out. I couldn't play games for about 6 months so I literally lost track of all the release dates, of all the games coming out and everything. I'll definitely check some videos out, and maybe I'll buy it, who knows.

Well, since I haven't played Sims 4, I can only give my opinion on Sims 3. I liked Sims 3 and I think it was a good game, I enjoyed playing it and it improved on everything from Sims 2. I can't wait to see the improvements over Sims 3.

Reactions: Kleineganz
I had a feeling that Sims 4 was going to be bad after a few months. Mainly because they cut out toddlers and pools, then say: "It's tooo hard, we're not going to have it, sorry!" Then turn around and say in a patch: "THERE YOU GO! WE DID GOOD!" I'm not giving them a free pass to make half brain excuses. So, I think it's pretty simple where my preference lies...Sims 2, that is all.

If I'm being totally honest, the best Sims game is 2, they never crammed so much stuff into a game as they did back then.
Between the ones you ask, 3 is the better one, but just because 4 still has no expansion packs.

A lot of people were critical of Sims 4 because it felt like a shell of a game. The reason for this, is because we're SO accustomed to the vast amount of expansion packs already out for Sims 3, and other past games. I feel like Sims 4 was way too rushed. I have no idea why they would take out "create-a-style", because honestly that was one of the coolest features of sims 3... and taking out pools? and toddlers? While I don't understand their methods, I'm going to be patient with them and give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure sometime in 2015 they'll release some expansion packs, and we've already heard we're getting a free update that includes swimming pools. So, like I said, we'll see!

A lot of people were critical of Sims 4 because it felt like a shell of a game. The reason for this, is because we're SO accustomed to the vast amount of expansion packs already out for Sims 3, and other past games. I feel like Sims 4 was way too rushed. I have no idea why they would take out "create-a-style", because honestly that was one of the coolest features of sims 3... and taking out pools? and toddlers? While I don't understand their methods, I'm going to be patient with them and give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure sometime in 2015 they'll release some expansion packs, and we've already heard we're getting a free update that includes swimming pools. So, like I said, we'll see!
Swimming pools were added back in over a month ago now. In fact they have been making regular, free releases of content for awhile. Within the next week or so they are releasing new careers as well (for free).

The first hint we've had about the first expansion came from a voice actor who is hinting about aliens. To keep up on all the Sims 4 News, watch the weekly Simulation by Curtis Paradis.

Sims 3 already had expansions and patches and everything when I got it so I really can't fairly compare. I'd say I definitely like the look of the sims in sims 4 better. I also like the animations more and the added moods are a fun feature that I think I'd really miss if I went back to
3. My biggest issue with sims 3 was it crashed all the time and was really laggy. Worse whenever I added a new EP. So for those reasons I'd say 4.

Reactions: Miles Hansen
I vastly prefer Sims 3 to Sims 4. One thing that Maxis has been doing correctly over the years was adding more content and features to upcoming titles, however Sims 4 seems like a step backwards. I don't actually own the Sims 4 but I have watched many youtubers play it and it seems rather dumbed down compared to the Sims 3. While the Sims 4 may have a better create-a-sim, I don't like how you need to wait on loading times between building where in the Sims 3 you could follow your sim across the city seamlessly. But of course what really makes the Sim series are the expansions, so we can only hope and see if the expansions for Sims 4 will redeem it.

The Sims 4 has felt like a way to make people pay for more expansions and DLC down the road and as everyone above me has said, feels incredibly incomplete. I only spent a few hours with it at a friends but there was a severe lack of... everything, I can't even quite put my finger on it. Sure it looks a little prettier but that felt like all it has going for it.

Just from that short experience and what I've seen of it beyond that I intend on completely holding out on buying it at all until expansions prove it to be a worthwhile investment. As it is it's far a 50-60$ game in my opinion, an amount that could get you Sims 3 and a few expansions.

Personally, I like The Sims 3 a lot more than The Sims 4, but that is mainly because I've only played The Sims 4 at a friends house. It just seems like a ton of things are missing from The Sims 4, but maybe that is just me. Another contributing factor towards my love of The Sims 3 may be that I have all of the expansion/stuff packs, which did cost a lot of money overall- but it was/is well worth it!

Reactions: Miles Hansen
The Sims 3 is more fleshed out right now, but I have a feeling that I might like Sims 4 more once the expansions come pouring out, if I decide to buy them that is. The Sims 3 had this nasty habit of crashing constantly, and since it doesn't autosave (why doesn't it do that?) it has led to many a frustrated tear. The Sims 4 seems to have fixed this issue, or at least I haven't heard of it being a problem yet. This all might change once the expansions come out, so I guess we'll all have to wait and see.