What's Your Opinion on Games Where You Farm Materials/Stuff?

What's your opinion on games where you have to farm items.

• It won't be a good game

• I don't mind.

• I love those types of games!

• I tend to stay away

Results are only viewable after voting.

qadassa

First One To Buy The User Title
Registered
Dec 6, 2014
So, what's your opinion on games where you farm materials? For me, it just gets boring after a while, in the beginning I'm like "can't wait to complete this game" but then when I'm done, I'm like "uh...now what? Farm all day?" The game just loses it's pull for ME when you just have to sit there and farm and press a few buttons. However, sometimes this can be a little bit relaxing for me, since I can just slouch in my chair and relax while I am playing a game.

Also, what's your opinion on games where there are quests where they make you farm for a certain item many, many, many times (like in Grand Chase, those character level up quests, where you have to farm a certain amount of items with a low drop rate to unlock a new class). For me, it was just painful, at first it was fun, the joy of unlocking a new class every time I finished. I eventually just got bored because it was so tedious, like most games are, but a lot of other games have a point to them, like Dota 2. The point of Dota 2 is to have a better strategy than the other team to WIN, but with quests like these in most games, the game just loses it's attraction to the players.

Sometimes, when I feel lazy and I honestly have nothing better to do, then I'll probably bring up games like those just to kill a little bit of time. I honestly don't mind, and I think you can feel like having a sense of accomplishment from these games, albeit you can probably get more from playing better games or learning some real life skills. I guess these games are good for those lazy days, and I honestly don't mind that people play them (aside from the invites)

My problem is that most of them are too easy to plan what you want to do, so then it just becomes a matter of checking off things to do. There are a few games where you have to react to things, and so it feels more like a game and less like a checklist. I really don´t like games where I can easily calculate ´ok, in 19 days I will have this done, and so can start on this... which will be done in 39 days...

I think it's okay to have some element of grind, if you're trying for a rare drop it gives you much more satisfaction when you finally get it. However I'm not a fan of too much farming, since it does get boring. (IIRC Runescape had a drop rate of 1 in 32000 for dragon chainmail for Dust Devils, which is really terrible odds and just bad game design imo)

I love to play farming games if there's more to the game then just doing the farming. For instance, does farming assist in the craft of something? I do admit to being rather addicted to craft games in that regard. Otherwise, I treat it as just a way to relax.

Depends on my mood honestly. If I had a long day at work or dealt with horrible people in general I often find myself farming for materials just as away to destress. There's not much thought that goes into it and I'm not doing it for 'fun' so much as kind of a meditative exercise. When I'm waiting for a group to form in certain games or raids, I also do a lot of farming to be productive versus trawling through Youtube for something to watch. Since I'm already in game, might as well as make something of it.

I could remember months ago I was playing a online game called Goldentowns. I thought that this game was cool at first since you could harvest materials and use them to construct and renew buildings. I was playing this game for a few days and felt it was peaceful. I also found out you can make money so I thought that maybe if I get to the point where I can harvest gold then I can trade it in for cash. Well I was a bit wrong in the sense where this was going to take a short amount of time to accomplish. I found out that you need to have some active referrals to really get serious money with Goldentowns. Assuming if people want to sit there for countless hours farming for resources and wait patiently to get to the point of getting gold and turning it in for cash. I had got most of my structures to high levels but the amount of time it took to harvest resources was too lengthy. It took like 48 hours to harvest 500 units of vegetables which I had to wait too long. Not to mention that I always had a problem with a structure getting damaged severely to where renovations was crucial. I just gave up all together and went to find something else to do. Some people said that it is supposed to be similar to Farmtowns but I felt that farming resources in a game like that was just not worth it. These types of games are good for those who have patience and the diligence to work. I cannot do that stuff really in Goldentowns since the game is like a simulator so time was just not worth it. I do not know how some people were able to really get far in that game but I feel most folks gave up by now.

The games can be very fun, but it seems all of them are alike, just with different objects and characters. Its like someone took the games code and just replaced the graphics. SO after you play a few different ones they can get boring, because its just the same routine over and over. get resources, build an army attack everyone you can.

I find them incredibly boring. The only one I liked playing was Smurfs Village and I haven't wanted to play it much since my Smurfs on the island disappeared. It's funny I got my mom into it now she plays all the time and I don't.

I could remember months ago I was playing a online game called Goldentowns. I thought that this game was cool at first since you could harvest materials and use them to construct and renew buildings. I was playing this game for a few days and felt it was peaceful. I also found out you can make money so I thought that maybe if I get to the point where I can harvest gold then I can trade it in for cash. Well I was a bit wrong in the sense where this was going to take a short amount of time to accomplish. I found out that you need to have some active referrals to really get serious money with Goldentowns. Assuming if people want to sit there for countless hours farming for resources and wait patiently to get to the point of getting gold and turning it in for cash. I had got most of my structures to high levels but the amount of time it took to harvest resources was too lengthy. It took like 48 hours to harvest 500 units of vegetables which I had to wait too long. Not to mention that I always had a problem with a structure getting damaged severely to where renovations was crucial. I just gave up all together and went to find something else to do. Some people said that it is supposed to be similar to Farmtowns but I felt that farming resources in a game like that was just not worth it. These types of games are good for those who have patience and the diligence to work. I cannot do that stuff really in Goldentowns since the game is like a simulator so time was just not worth it. I do not know how some people were able to really get far in that game but I feel most folks gave up by now.
It wasn't even a fun way to make money because like you said it would take you forever to get you a significant amount of money. I learned about it through another game by the same company but that game was the same so I never claimed my earnings since my account was closed due to inactivity.

I don't mind farming in games only because I don't mind repetitive work like grinding. It doesn't annoy me that much if it doesn't happen that often. However, when a game asks you to hunt for a certain item, and the chance of it dropping is irrational or insanely rare, then I will get pretty annoyed. Farming is only fun in moderation and if a game overdoes it, I'll get bored of it and move on to another game.

I find them incredibly boring. The only one I liked playing was Smurfs Village and I haven't wanted to play it much since my Smurfs on the island disappeared. It's funny I got my mom into it now she plays all the time and I don't.

It wasn't even a fun way to make money because like you said it would take you forever to get you a significant amount of money. I learned about it through another game by the same company but that game was the same so I never claimed my earnings since my account was closed due to inactivity.

Yeah that is why I had quit playing Goldentowns and wondered why there are so many things that made that game dried. I just did not think it was going to take forever to get a goldmine in the game. I could remember when I had used the goldmine and man just to produce 0.01 gold took 128 units of all your resources. Veggies in that game are super easy to harvest and you can trade it for other supplies. Meanwhile other resources like stone and clay and iron are way harder to harvest. This surprised me when I had got my vegetable farms to level 5. It was still not enough to do much which trading for resources was useless. Then you had to worry about someone taking over your town and getting 10% of what you make so you had to launch a counterattack to get your town back. I just gave up on it all and went to go and find something else.

I think it's okay as long as the developers know what they are doing. It's best if farming doesn't take that long before you are allowed to really have fun with the game. After a while it does get tedious though so it really is best if they add some other mechanics to farming that wouldn't make it just about the farming itself.

Farming for resources is all part of the delay-gratification aspect of video games. The more you have to work for the endgame the better you feel afterwards. I personally like games you farm mindlessly during, you get to think about whatever you choose while you perform menial tasks. It gives your brain a break from the real world.

I don't mind doing a some farming for a rare item to make a super rare armor piece or accessories but the problem with games like eden eternal and others is that you will be grinding for 2 whole months just to get enough of an item to make basic stuff to make a super rare material and then when you multiply how many of that super are material to make the accessory or armor. It is a complete turnoff.

The developers of most of these type of games have given up on being creative and innovative, instead they pray on our OCD for being ´complete´.. Most of the games end up the same way, the length of time between doing something just gets longer and longer. The problem is, for me they just become too predictable, everything is just an exponential grind.

I LOVE to farm dungeons or mobs. I don't enjoy it when games force it on the player though. As much as I love to farm; I want to do it on my time at my leisure. Having to go farm to finish a quest is irritating though :mad:. I remember one MMO I played, in order to level up we had to kill around 5000 mobs then get some rare item. Extremely annoying. I like farming for things with higher drop rates though. I'd much rather farm 1000 items with a 5% drop rate than 1 item with 0.0005% drop rate. I also prefer farming dungeons rather than world mobs.

I love games where I have to farm for materials. Something about spending a couple hours/days/weeks to get something and then FINALLY getting it has a good kind of reward value.

These types of games are a guilty pleasure of mine! They usually involve minimal effort and brain power, yet they do give you a sense of accomplishment once you hit the next goal. I just love games where you slowly build up resources. They may not require a lot of thinking, but there are certainly small strategies to optimize your earnings.

It seems like a cheap gimmick to make the game seem longer with lesser content. I would just go with an action rpg.

I can't stand these games, and think it's just a "get rich quick" scam for developers. They're all the same, and they get boring very quickly, due to their repetitiveness. Farmville, Zombie Farm, Simpson's Tapped Out, etc. These games have been done a number of times, and require very minimal effort on both the developer's and gamer's behalf.