what would the next Star Wars game be?

Darth_Jonas

Future Emperor
Registered
Nov 16, 2005
right behind you
Mike Shaeffer has a good article about the future of Star Wars in gaming. Although I do disagree with his assessment of the difference between books and gaming, I did like what he had to say.

Since no Knights of the Old Republic games came out last year, I want to know: What would you like to see from the Star Wars genre in terms of an MMO or better yet, a game like KOTOR (what is the official designation for that kind of game?).

I would either like them to be Star Wars Legends, where tales of the thousands of years prior to the Star Wars story line take place, or afterwards where the story focuses on Luke reforming the Jedi Order and Leia restarting the Republic.

What do you want to see?

Light-sabre dueling using the Wii-mote!

I'd love to see a game about the very beginnings of the Jedi. I'd like to watch them discover the Force and all that. I think the cannon storyline (the Vader saga, and its aftermath) is tired and needs a rest.

Also, KOTOR is an RPG. How could you not know that? It's the same as Neverwinter Nights.

This is a dangerous questions to ask me, because it is something I think a lot about! Here are ideas I have had for Star Wars games that I want to see:

Sith Dungeons: This would be a Diablo style dungeon crawl set in the Tales of the Jedi time frame.

Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter: This game would be based on the book of the same name (though the game would have more than the book), and it would be an action game, where the player controls Darth Maul.

Rebel Soliders: It needs a better name, but I thought that Republic Commando was an awesome idea for a game, and I would love to see a new Star Wars FPS that follows a group of rebel soldiers.

Star Wars Tactics: This game would be set during the Clone Wars and use cute graphics. It would be a game in the same vein of Final Fantasy Tactics.

I also want to see a new Rouge Squadron that has an original story, a Battlefront 3 that is mostly based in the Extended Univerese, and a new X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter for next gen consoles.

Sorry, brain cramp. Kind of like when you're trying to figure out who sang that song, you know the guy with the big hair?

I would like to explore the stories after Return of the Jedi. Lucas originally wrote 9 parts. We just completed 1-6, 7-9 is actually pretty exciting. The Crimson Guard plays a big role, Admiral Thrawn starts throwing down (who was absent during ROTJ because he had 2/3 of the Emperial Fleet on the other side of the galaxy to give the impression that the Death Star2 was vulnerable), Luke dabbles in the Dark side and infiltrates a new Sith Order, Han and Leia get married and she becomes a baby factory, their kids are strong in the Force and go to Uncle Luke's new Jedi Academy, Chewie's nephew joins them and becomes a Jedi (imagine a Wookie with Jedi powers!), and the Rogue Squadron have many adventures of their own.

I would like to do even the crimson Guard stuff. There was some really cool stories. And they have cool weapons.

Star Wars Incest: The game the whole family can play.

The game would be based on Luke and Leia's secret love life. You would be Vader trying to lure Leia away from her lover, Luke, and into your Sith Love Lair..

I think I just threw up in my mouth, Stan.

Anywho, I like the idea of exploring other parts of the Star Wars mythos as opposed to the film canon as suggested by others. KOTOR was a fantastic excursion, and they should do more things like it...how about an 3rd person action game set during the Freedon Nadd uprising?

It's a good trend to go deeper into the backstory of a franchise...EA I believe is doing that with The Lord of the Rings with an RPG set in Middle Earth decades before the trilogy.

I want to hear the story of Yoda when he was a young 500 years old. He had to put down an uprising of good Jedis gone bad. The final fight was supposed to be between him and the new darkside leader. When Yoda killed him, the guy was so nasty that his essence plagued a grove of trees. The planet was Dagobah. That's why someone as strong in the light side of the Force as Yoda went there, so his blip on the Force radar would be hidden by the bad area. It wasn't his home world.

That would be so cool...Yoda leading a cadre of Jedi to root out Sith turncoats. It could be a really dramatic game!

wow there is some real solid jedi info here. I always wanted to find out what happened in 7-9. They are already in the works with a game (action i think) at lucas Arts using the new Euphoria Engine thats being used in the new Indiana Jones game too. It looks quite intense, too much to type right now

Like Basil suggested, there's a Wii-exclusive Star Wars game coming out. In all likelihood, it'll be a lightsaber-based game

I would love to see someone try another MMO. Galaxies was such a disappointment to many people it would be nice to see someone other than Lucas Arts make a stab at one. I also agree that the mythos around the movie timelines is too played out. The initial discovery of the force and the formation of the Jedi is an awesome idea, and what better way to play it out than with actual PC toons shaping the creation.

The possibility of this game ever being created? I would say nil, but I can dream.

I would actually like to fast-forward events at least 1000 years. Let's see what ripples the events of the main canon make, and what legends will form. What will people talk about in 1000 years? Who will be heroes, and who villains?

How about an alternate universe (or 1000 years in the future, I guess), where the Jedi have become an oppressive, totalitarian leadership, and the Sith are the good guys. The jedi could be so caught up in protecting the citizens of the Republic that they start doing things like killing deviants and sick people (needs of the many ...)

The moral code governing the Jedi is somewhat akin to the 3 laws of robotics, so I could see this happening.

They did that once. It was called Tie Fighter. I actually liked it better than the following X-wing. There were certain secret goals that if you reached them, you got to join the Emperor's private little club. You got a cool tattoo on your arm (all first person views) and take on other special missions. There were several movie tie-ins and you got to train with Vader's flight simulator.

I've always thought the Jedi could easily swing in that direction too far. In the second KOTOR game, there was a character that walked the middle path. He was a Jedi that was married and lived as a recluse. He could get angry and crotchety, but he was a good guy who hated the Sith and respected the Jedi (even if he disagreed with their views on love).

I like the idea of somehow making the Sith look like the good guys. It would also be interesting to have a scenario where the Sith and the Jedi must depend on each other in order to defeat an even greater menace.

I would also like the full story on the REAL Sith. The games and other stories reveal that the anti-Jedi Sith are not the true Sith who settled on Korriban all those years ago. They had better tech and were more down with the Dark side than Palpatine himself. Who were they? Where are they? What if they came back and decided to hate the ones calling themselves Sith and the Jedi who sport the light side?

Allegedly, Knights of the Old Republic 3 will be about the Old Sith. At the end of 1 and 2, Revan and the Exile both headed out to find them, so in all likelihood, we'll (sooner or later) have a KOTOR about them.