What makes a video game great and why?

I dont agree that visuals are the most important, in fact i would call them the least important.

great games withstand the test of time, but graphics never do, so it has to have more to stand on.

for me, its story, characters, and MUSIC. often enough, its the soundtrack to a game that sets the mood and really makes you feel like whats happening in that game matters.

I dont agree that visuals are the most important, in fact i would call them the least important.

great games withstand the test of time, but graphics never do, so it has to have more to stand on.

for me, its story, characters, and MUSIC. often enough, its the soundtrack to a game that sets the mood and really makes you feel like whats happening in that game matters.
I agree. For me personally, as long as the gameplay is good and the gameis not littered with bugs, I can overlook the graphics.

To me its not just about replayability. Games such as Call of Duty and Battlefield have a lot of replayability with their multiplayer modes, but they aren't great in my opinion. No, what makes a game great in my opinion is depth. Games like Crusader Kings 2 have such depth to them that you wont see it all in a single play through. Replaying the game is the only way to get the full experience. WANTING to replay the game is what differentiates a good game and a GREAT game.

The storyline combined with the complexity is what makes or breaks a game for me. I am still starstruck with Warcraft universe as it's still developing and continuously growing.

For me, a video game is great if it has lots of memorable moments - either in the plot, if it's a single player game, or with friends (or strangers!), if it's a multiplayer game. Also, replayability is a fairly important factor too - it's important to be able to go back to a game after you finished it if you liked it.

For me the best thing about video games is great graphics and also I love free roam. I hate being stuck in a car or building and I love to be able to get out and run around and explore the world that I am in. I also love anything simulation!

A game should cause an addiction in the player's mind. In my opinion, a good game will make the player return back for more. Also, good interesting storyline and smooth bug-free gameplay mechanics help a lot to make a game good. Good graphics and a great atmosphere add up a lot. Also, the game should be challenging, but not frustrating. Good netcode for online games is a must to make it a good game.

I enjoy games with a great story. I've recently been blown away by Bioshock Infinite. It has one of the greatest writing I've ever seen in a video game and as such is one of my favorite games. It is okay, gameplay-wise, but nothing too spectacular, but the story and the way it is told is incredibly engaging and Columbia looks absolutely georgious.
But there are also games that come with a mediocre story or even no story at all but score in other areas. Many indie games just have awesome gameplay mechanics that are fun enough to make the game worth it on their own, other games have a great competitive multiplayer. So, I guess in the end it depends on what area a game focuses on, I don't think you can generalize what makes games good.

When you are starting the game and you are curious about it.. then the title appears and you feel chills all over your body. A great game lets your imagination to spread on the whole mind. It's something like a new toy for kid, something like a jump scene in a good horror movie. I remember when I had this feeling when I was playing Skyrim for the first time. Something unique. Honestly there are really few games that I enjoyed like this.

One of the things that makes it great is the looks. Just going back 5 years ago, compare it with how games look now and you'll see an insane step forward for looks. Visuals are nowadays very important, you need to go into very fine detail. But what the sometimes forget and what also makes a great game is the gameplay itself. And then I'm looking at a game like CS:GO. It's so simple but yet so amazing.

The design should be good and the controls should feel smooth. The visuals must be good; however not so much inconceivable. I've played a couple of games with straightforward representation and they made brilliant recreations. The controls and cam are central point however. In the event that the controls feel wrong; I won't even proceed with the diversion. Likewise those constantly chafing and controlled cam perspectives will make me quit far before the end. I'm not discussing for specific scenes or when going up a stepping stool, I mean at all times. What truly draws me into a game is having decisions. I have a tendency to skip through parts of the story unless it snatches my consideration. In the event that I get to pick whether a whole race lives, or on the off chance that I need to murder them myself, it truly pulls me into the story.

For me it's definitely the story. I've seen so many people (friends and streamers) who just want to jump on the action, kill the bad guys, get the loot and continue, while completely skipping over the storyline. Some think that the plot isn't that important, but for me it's an important asset that can help you to get immersed in the atmosphere and inspire you to continue your adventure. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying that gameplay, graphics and sound aren't as important, but for me if we really want to enjoy a game 100% we should at least give the story a chance and play it thoroughly the first time.

I agree with a number of people here. The storyline is a huge factor in deciding the quality of a game. People become drawn in when they can relate or sympathize with the characters. It's partly what keeps people coming back to play. If it was entirely action, purely fighting and nothing else, then it gets boring more quickly. The story is the entertainment to in games.

Of course the storyline is a huge factor. You get drawn into a game by graphics and gameplay and stay for the story. At least in my case.

Reactions: blur92
It has to be engaging. I think it should leave you wanting more. I also think to do that, a game requires a certain amount of challenge. I like hard challenges, but not so much the gimmicky or nearly impossible ones. I want to know that if I keep trying, I can eventually beat something. I don't like when win or lose is based purely on RNG. Replayability is also very important.

Visuals are always an important part of a game, but they're not a game maker. (*Cough* Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Unity *cough*) The story is what will make or break a game. And it is, of course, the most important part of one. Look at Bioshock, the graphics are a little bit behind the times, but people return to the game again and again for the story. Also, game play in another important part of games.

I think it is a combination of storyline, graphics and how well the game is coded to minimize glitches and bugs. I would play a game with great storyline and gameplay than a game with great graphics and poor gameplay. Need for speed most wanted 2012 is a perfect example of a game with stunning graphics but poor gameplay and storyline.

Reactions: Zyni
The strategy and the gameplay makes a game great. Graphics does not hurt either.