What game has the most realistic AI?

nonsiccus

Registered
Dec 4, 2014
In what game have you encountered the most realistic AI that has suspended your disbelief and made you think that there might actually be someone playing on the other end?

I found that the AI in Starcraft 2 to be pretty impressive in terms of how they respond and act in general. I've played a lot of AI matches where the opponent is smarter and more aggressive than human players.

Alien Isolation's AI for the Alien is really amazing, especially on the hardest difficulty. It will wait around in the vents if it knows you're close, hangs around and scours the area if it hears or sees you, goes after other people if it finds them, and generally is a huge nuisance, one that adapts to how you play.

Insurgency's AI is pretty good, for a shooting game I mean. Comparing it to CS:GO AI, where they just stand around and...yeah...they're pretty good. They actually have items, and they actually shoot at you. I feel sometimes they're OP though.

F.E.A.R.! It was so impressive - and not just "for its time", but even compared to what's out there today - that there were many articles in sites and mags dedicated to it and how Monolith pulled it off.

What was more interesting was that it wasn't just "A.I", but more of what you'd call "smart level design and enemy placement".

For example, you where in the middle of a room with two corridors. Monolith had set the enemies up so that two groups of them would come to you at the same time, from both corridors.

IF you didn't choose a path, they said... er... "the typical stuff". "We see him", "he's there", "shoot him", stuff like that.

If you DID chose one of the two paths, the moment you saw one of the groups they shouted "we see him!" while calling for backup, making you think that the OTHER group in the OTHER corridor, coming behind you after half a minute, was "the backup" they'd just called for!

Now that's what I call smart game design!

EDIT: Edited for mistakes and clarity.

Agreed about Starcraft2. Most of the time the AI plays better than human players. They did a decent job of making it react to what you were doing rather than just having a build order.

Insurgency's AI is pretty good, for a shooting game I mean. Comparing it to CS:GO AI, where they just stand around and...yeah...they're pretty good. They actually have items, and they actually shoot at you. I feel sometimes they're OP though.
I had the best and worst experiences with the AI in Insurgency. On the hardest difficulty, they literally see you from across the map and start nailing you without any effort whatsoever with just about ANY weapon. It was outrageously unrealistic.

That being said, a few steps down in difficulty and the AI was actually fairly decent. The reaction time wasn't great on them, and the aim was sort of off; much like a human's.

I like Left 4 Dead (1&2) when it comes to the A.I., known as The Director in that game. On the harder difficulties, the A.I. would adapt to your play style and then target people that split from the group. It would target specific players, and screw with you in a bunch of other ways. You'd still wind up with the occasional enemy just standing there ignoring you, but the AI was otherwise pretty clever and great.

I had the best and worst experiences with the AI in Insurgency. On the hardest difficulty, they literally see you from across the map and start nailing you without any effort whatsoever with just about ANY weapon. It was outrageously unrealistic.

That being said, a few steps down in difficulty and the AI was actually fairly decent. The reaction time wasn't great on them, and the aim was sort of off; much like a human's.
As in any weapon..you mean even knives? ...Back on topic...I think that the AI in Dota 2 is so fake, their item builds...and... skill builds are like real players, but the way they play are so fake...on low difficulty. On high difficulty they play like Dendi. Compared to Insurgency though, they have worse AI.

Hear me out. Half-Life AI (when the soldiers came into play), AT THE TIME, was like the most mind blowing thing ever. It happened at a time where there were no expectations for an AI to be good because most people didn't even know what was possible in a video game.

I can't remember the last time I said, "Wow this AI is great", but I do remember the when I played Half-Life and said, "These fucking soldiers are like real players", and although it could have mostly been due to ignorance at the time, I do not believe I will ever experience that feeling ever again.

@Azrile Making the AI play better than human players ain't hard - it's the opposite that is! A computer can be the perfect adversary, since it knows your movements as you input them and could instantly counter them if it wanted. Game devs try to add flaws to their AIs in games so that they'll "make mistakes" like any "really human player" would make from time to time :)

@BluBird Indeed! I had forgotten about Half-Life, and yep, it was if not the first, one of the first times you were left there wondering what the heck had just happened. It was the first time virtual enemies seemed like they co-ordinating their movements to get to you, to flank and generally outsmart you. Awesome!

The AI in Alien:Isolation is unpredictable and hunts you with deadly efficiency. I guess considering that it's supposed to resemble a deadly alien predator it would be pretty realistic.

For its time I found Bioshock Infinite's AI to be pretty good for Elizabeth.

One of the best video game A.I. system I ever seen was in "Black and White" game! It even won a award for best A.I. from Guiness world records! The game was simply well done and the A.I.'s reactions to you were very well thought out and detailed in programming. I remember playing the game and feeling as if I did have a control over these peon minions, and felt a paternal feeling towards the little people when they were inflicted with some crazy in-game weather disaster or disease. Thinking about it now, I want to play it once more!

I like Left 4 Dead (1&2) when it comes to the A.I., known as The Director in that game. On the harder difficulties, the A.I. would adapt to your play style and then target people that split from the group. It would target specific players, and screw with you in a bunch of other ways. You'd still wind up with the occasional enemy just standing there ignoring you, but the AI was otherwise pretty clever and great.
Oh I forgot about how many hours I sunk in to Left 4 Dead 1. The director feature was pretty cool, but I wouldn't call it realistic by any means. It sounded a lot cooler in the tech demos than when it was actually brought out. I found that it was pretty easy to manipulate once you knew when and where the triggers were. In fact, a large part of the competitive play in that game revolved around abusing the director mechanics in order to make things work to your team's advantage.

The last game that I played with really smart AI was the last Splinter Cell game. They would do things like break into formations and circle around the spot you were hiding at. Left 4 Dead 2 was a crazy one as well when you put the difficulty up. Me and my friends would spend hours playing, and when we would play we would separate to see who survives the longest.

Yeah, one of the things I hate about devs is when they decide they can´t make a good AI, and instead just make the game cheat in order to have difficulty. I also hate when devs get lazy and cut-paste the same AI to every mob in the game.

Now that I think more about it, I vividly remember reading - at the time - how impressive... Unreal Tournament's bots were!

Yeah, "the first one's".

Although it was a multiplayer title, it followed the footsteps of Quake that used bots to replace human players when they weren't available, so that a single player "would have something to do with it" instead of staring at blank walls while waiting for someone else to connect.

Those bots were the first that reacted almost like a true human, and there are even many mods you can find - even today - that tweaked the way they "thought" and "reacted" (yeah, we're always talking bots here).