What do you think of selfies?

techbeast34

Registered
Nov 9, 2014
"Selfies" have been around for a couple of years now, and it seems to have not stopped at all, but instead grow. With social media like Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc, people have embraced selfies completely. Although, some controversial stuff has gone down with selfies. Some teens are starting to take selfies with homeless people, and obviously, nude photos. What do you think of them? Do you think selfies are stupid? Or do you think they're good and not a problem at all?

I have roughly 1k of selfies on my phone so I can't judge.:rolleyes:

They're definitely here to stay.

I think taking selfies are okay. I just don't like it when people start taking pictures of themselves and they'll put a deep or inspirational caption that doesn't have anything to do with the picture. I just don't get the point. I also don't like selfies that are too "revealing."

I think alot of selfies are really funny to look at. Most people aren't harming anybody by just taking a picture of themselves. I don't even mind the occasional qoute on them since that's their picture anyway. What I don't understand is the trend in taking selfies at places like the hospital or a relative's funeral.

I think they are dumb to an extent. I mean I have read on two separate occasions where people were taking them and died. Has it gotten to that level? Then it is stupidity at its finest. I don't even use the camera on my phone.

I think they are dumb to an extent. I mean I have read on two separate occasions where people were taking them and died. Has it gotten to that level? Then it is stupidity at its finest. I don't even use the camera on my phone.
I don't take selfies, but I use the camera on my phone a lot. In fact, it's completely replaced my use of a seperate, dedicated camera. The quality is better than my most recent digital camera and it's smaller and easier to transport than the camera was.

Some teens are starting to take selfies with homeless people, and obviously, nude photos.

I HATE seeing people do that. It's so disrespectful. If you were starving and homeless, how would you feel if someone came up to you, took a picture of you, then posted that picture on the Internet with a caption such as, 'look at how ghetto I am!!'? I see pictures like that on my Facebook and it really bothers me.

On the other hand, taking selfies, as long as they don't cause harm or embarrassment to other people, are fine, in my opinion. I'm guilty of taking selfies, too. However, I don't like the connotation that if you take selfies, you're somehow self-absorbed. What's wrong with appreciating how you look at times?

"Selfies" have been around for a couple of years now, and it seems to have not stopped at all, but instead grow. With social media like Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter, etc, people have embraced selfies completely. Although, some controversial stuff has gone down with selfies. Some teens are starting to take selfies with homeless people, and obviously, nude photos. What do you think of them? Do you think selfies are stupid? Or do you think they're good and not a problem at all?
I think selfies are a great way to express your self especially when in the company of friends or strangers you've just met. On the other hand,one should exercise maturity and be responsible when taking selfies to avoid offending other people.Nude pics are a no no or other gross material.

I think that selfies can be very tasteful when done right. Overdoing it or putting one at risk to get the perfect shot should be avoided. Selfies can document fun activities and create a diary to remind one of fun times. We only have a short time to live and anything that allows us to be silly without hurting others should be encouraged. I vote yes for selfies.

There was a time when "selfies" were called "solo pictures". Like "groufies" was originally "group pictures". I have nothing against taking pictures of oneself or a group of you and your friends but seriously why change what it's called? People think it's cute (like those who say "sammiches" instead of "sandwich"). As for me, I cringe. Also too many selfies on social media, especially on my newsfeed is kinda like...ugh please stop. The pictures are good but I don't need to see the person every 5 seconds like come on! It's a trend and it won't go anywhere anytime soon but people have to be careful. There were news before of people who died while taking a selfie. A student here in my country died because she fell off the stairs because her back was turned while taking a selfie. I guess I hate the term but taking pictures are fine. Oh yeah stupid pictures, offensive and naked ones should be banned (and their owner's accounts as well) and burned from the face of the earth. Need brain bleach... :D

Last edited:
I don't take selfies, but I use the camera on my phone a lot. In fact, it's completely replaced my use of a seperate, dedicated camera. The quality is better than my most recent digital camera and it's smaller and easier to transport than the camera was.

Really ? I mean I wouldn't know because I myself don't take many photos. I know the phones on cameras are quite advanced in certain models. But compared to an actual camera it can't be better can it ? Your most recent digital camera must have been old.

I'm not bothered by other people taking selfies, but I hate it when people upload 10 or more selfies a day on a social network. They just can't keep any photos for themselves.

I think they're silly and I've never personally taken any (unless you count once a year or so to update my facebook image) but I understand why it's a thing. It's a way to see people you care about or are a fan of and it gives people a sense of self-worth. That's what I think at least.

I'm not bothered by other people taking selfies, but I hate it when people upload 10 or more selfies a day on a social network. They just can't keep any photos for themselves.

Yea I know one guy who was an acquaintance in college that sent me a friend request. This nut will upload 10+ photos of himself a day shirtless. Narcissistic personality disorder at its finest.

As long as they aren't nudes...
I think selfies are great. I believe it's fair that when you are feeling gorgeous, you can just take a picture and show everyone how beautiful you are :)

Reactions: YunaKazama26
I don't get the hype behind selfies, but people like to do them so more power to 'em. It doesn't bother me any to have them happen.

I don't care too much about selfies, but I've taken my share of them, one time I even did it with my laptop screen and a great score I managed at a game :)

I don't see the appeal of taking selfies, but I think it's okay to take group shots (wefies?) to commemorate events.

I think selfies don't harm anyone and only help the person taking them. By permitting yourself to take a self you help your self-esteem. Of course some people take it too far and soak up their ego to the size of suns by doing this, but it's a thing worth promoting because of the potential good it can do.