What do you guys think of "New 3DS"?

Joanjette

Registered
Nov 18, 2014
I was looking into Nintendo's newer offerings and found posts on the New 3DS. It looks a lot nicer to me, but I like that it is getting a controller feel with the new buttons. It won't be released for a while, but what do you guys think of it? I think it looks fantastic, though I am unsure about having games that will only work on the New 3DS since it isn't a full sequel(though it seems like it could be). I also find the name a bit odd.

Yeah, Im prob gonna havta buy one. That extra analog stick and more processing power could be a game changer. We will see. Plus you will need it if you want to play Xenoblade.

I really haven't seen the appeal in the New 3DS, though I haven't looked deeply into it since I don't really use my 3DS anymore.

From what I've gathered it's slightly more powerful than its predecessor, but the biggest addition is supposed to be that incredibly tiny, extra stick placed in possibly the most awkward position they could find on the device. I don't think its going to be fun to have that stick be an integral part of a game, but I of course haven't tried it to say definitively.

No matter what all the changes are or what other exclusive games they give it, I'm definitely not picking it up until they put an exclusive Pokemon game onto it. Hopefully by that time it'll have a price drop too.

I'd buy it if the price dropped and maybe curve the console a bit more so it's not awkward with the joystick. It's already out for sale here in Australia apparently, but they're holding back on North America until next year. Apparently the market isn't ''saturated'' with enough 3DS's. I like the idea of cover plates, but the problem is will they be hard to get off? If you're rough with the thing, it breaks pretty easy - or at least the DS lite did.

I would hold out buying one and wait for the next-gen handheld to come out. There has already been plenty of 3DS consoles/games, and I think that it won't be too long before a newer variant has to come up capable for supporting next-gen games.

I'm planning on picking up a New 3DS XL when money allows, considering the new consoles are already out in Australia. A bit of a shame that there aren't any new faceplates for the XL, but I can't give bigger screens a miss, especially since I bought a DSi XL. Also, seeing that it's supposedly got a better CPU and screen this time around, I think it is time I caved in and bought a one.

Im saving up all my earnings from online sites to buy one - not having a DS sucks, even though I have an emulator, its just not the same. I used to fly solo but now with the whole WiFi thing, its an awesome idea being able to battle other people via the net. I haven't seen any advertisements for it at the local EB but I suspect it'll appear sometime.

Honestly, a 3DS is a 3DS. Nintendo can make it bigger, make it smaller, or add something to it that might boost it's sales. However, honestly at the end of the day, it's still just the same 3DS we all love to sit down and play our games on.

I'm getting a new 3DS the day it comes to North America. I've had my 3DS for awhile and I think it is time for something new. The extra power and joystick are enough of a reason to justify it. Also the removable faceplates are a nice touch.

Honestly, a 3DS is a 3DS. Nintendo can make it bigger, make it smaller, or add something to it that might boost it's sales. However, honestly at the end of the day, it's still just the same 3DS we all love to sit down and play our games on.

I agree with you. I think I'll be find with my original 3DS.

I agree in the sense it's the same console, but if New 3DS specific games came out, or if somehow by the grace of God they made New 3DS games with graphics that could compete with new-gen consoles, I'd fork the money over. OR if they allowed you to connect it to your TV like the Wii-U and use the DS as the controller but have the actual game footage on your TV. I'd pay good money for that. Especially if they redid Pokémon Stadium and made it global.

Last edited:
I really don't think I'll be buying the new 3DS, unless there is a game that will only work on it that I would just love to have. I mean, my current 3DS works just fine so why would I buy another one? Maybe if it has a lot more features that the old ones, but other than that I don't foresee myself buying it.

Reactions: Tycoonie259
I really don't think I'll be buying the new 3DS, unless there is a game that will only work on it that I would just love to have. I mean, my current 3DS works just fine so why would I buy another one? Maybe if it has a lot more features that the old ones, but other than that I don't foresee myself buying it.

It's like the DS lite/phat and the DSi, the DSi is nice if you don't have an original DS, though if you do, it's pretty pointless, and since most gamers do have the 3DS now, the New 3DS has to force you to buy it so they're probably going to make some games which can't be played on a regular 3DS / 2DS, or at least that's my guess.

I love that they are including a second joystick, even if it's just a nub. I remember when I tried Monster Hunter 3, I was very frustrated that t I had to move my hands around to adjust the camera angle. With Monster Hunter 4 around the corner, the extra stick will be fantastic.

The improved 3D will be nice too as it tracks yours eyes. Presently, it's fine when you get to that sweet viewing spot, but it can be a little frustrating after a few hours of holding it in place.

I hate to shell out a bunch of money for a few upgrades, but I probably will. 3DS has to be one of the best systems to date with its expansive library.

Such a cashgrab, only Nintendo could get away with something like it and people would totally be fine with it. They already released the circle pad pro, then released the XL but didn't add any second analog nub/stick, now a slightly upgraded version that only some games work on, like what.

I'll be honest, I have nothing but negative feelings for the thing. I was a late adopter of the 3DS and only picked up mine under a year ago, so I feel like for such a young handheld I'm being pushed into upgrading with money I don't have. It certainly looks like it'll be the difference between a DS and a DSi, but the fact that it locks you out of a handful of games just gives me the feeling that I made a poor investment getting one and makes me worry when this new 3DS will also expire and if it will be as soon.

This is just speculation though, for all I know it can only be a very limited number of games that get this treatment and the original 3DS won't be abandoned for quite sometime. I already have a WiiU and half of the reason I got it was for Xenoblade (though I got it sooner because of all the amazing releases as of late and to support the poor sales of the console) so I'm not out when it comes to that one, and I'm hoping/thinking games that will get this treatment will be limited. Just my knee jerk reaction if anything, hopefully it's not a completely apathetic cash grab.

Reactions: Atlas_Hope
The only problem with the New 3DS is that the power button has been moved. One review here said they knocked the button a few times and lost hours of playtime, so remember to save your progress regularly. (The only advantage of an emulator xD no chance of knocking that stupid button.)
Quick question since I haven't played a DS in a while, do you still slide the thing up to turn it on or is it just a small button like on the GBA SP that you press?

The only problem with the New 3DS is that the power button has been moved. One review here said they knocked the button a few times and lost hours of playtime, so remember to save your progress regularly. (The only advantage of an emulator xD no chance of knocking that stupid button.)
Quick question since I haven't played a DS in a while, do you still slide the thing up to turn it on or is it just a small button like on the GBA SP that you press?

It is a small button by all the face buttons.
gaming_3ds_xl_hands_on_12.jpeg

That slider from the DS is still on the side, but it now toggles online functionality.

Thanks for the pic - I fail to see how the person kept knocking it. (Review in last week's Herald Sun in Australia), since it seems to be out of the way enough. A switch for online functionality isn't bad, but you'd think there'd just be a setting so it's 'on demand' though turning it off completely would save battery power.

Thanks for the pic - I fail to see how the person kept knocking it. (Review in last week's Herald Sun in Australia), since it seems to be out of the way enough. A switch for online functionality isn't bad, but you'd think there'd just be a setting so it's 'on demand' though turning it off completely would save battery power.

Did you mean the power button on the New 3DS? Cause that was the original one. My bad. The New 3DS power button looks like this, and seems easier to bump.

UON0pEu.png