What are some good Indie PC Games?

Beth Ervin

Registered
May 6, 2015
I am graduating college this Saturday and am looking for some games to play over the summer. My recent favorites are Don't Starve and 7 Days to Die. I know a lot of people aren't into survival games these days, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Don't Starve is a great game, though 7 Days To Die is far more predictable and similar to other titles. I don't have any suggestions off the top of my head, but you could always check Steam Early Access for some exciting indie projects. I put dozens of hours into Don't Starve myself. That's an incredibly fun game, especially when you're playing with another friend.

I'm not into survival, but if you are asking for any indie games:
Hotline Miami
Quest for Infamy
Contrast
A Hat In Time
Hard Reset

Lots of great titles available on Steam, such as The Binding of Isaac, Super Meat Boy, FTL, Five Nights at Freddy's.

Hotline Miami, Don't Starve, The Stanley Parable and Factorio are four that I have recently played and would strongly recommend any of them. The Stanley Parable, in particular, will probably only give you 6 hours or so of enjoyment but it is one of the most interesting and unique games I have played in a very long time. I only hear amazing things about The Binding of Isaac but have not played it myself.

If you like survival games and Minecraft, then you might enjoy the game Unturned. I didn't myself, but then again it's not the style of game I'm interested in. However, if you're looking for something akin to that genre, then I'm pretty sure it's available for free through the Steam store.

Path of the Exile is a great Diable Clone with a huge amount of customization. Just playing around and building characters can be fun. It also has a more interseting story than Diablo 3.

Hotline Miami, Don't Starve, The Stanley Parable and Factorio are four that I have recently played and would strongly recommend any of them. The Stanley Parable, in particular, will probably only give you 6 hours or so of enjoyment but it is one of the most interesting and unique games I have played in a very long time. I only hear amazing things about The Binding of Isaac but have not played it myself.

I actually didn't care much for the Stanley Parable. I know it was supposed to be an experimrntal game but I felt like theres not enough meat to the game. You get thru all the paths in maybe hour and a half and a lot of that is repetition.. :(

These arent very similar to the titles you listed, but I've definitely enjoyed The Binding Of Issac (Dungeon), Thomas was Alone (puzzle/story), Terraria (8-bit RPG), and To the Moon (Story based). I've put quite a few hours into all of these games and really liked them. If you're looking for something else keep an eye on Steam Greenlight or Kickstarter, theres usually some really promising games there.

I haven't tried it in a while, but Project Zomboid was fairly fun. You're set loose in a world overrun with zombies and have to wander around picking up food stuffs and other products while fending off the undead. Lord knows zombies have become a bit old, but Zomboid was fairly fun, if a bit expensive. Should go back to that and see if they've updated at all.

I'd also suggest roguelikes that have kind of the same vibe. FTL is a fantastic one-shot-and-you're-done game, with an amazing amount of replay value.

I haven't tried it in a while, but Project Zomboid was fairly fun. You're set loose in a world overrun with zombies and have to wander around picking up food stuffs and other products while fending off the undead. Lord knows zombies have become a bit old, but Zomboid was fairly fun, if a bit expensive. Should go back to that and see if they've updated at all.

I'd also suggest roguelikes that have kind of the same vibe. FTL is a fantastic one-shot-and-you're-done game, with an amazing amount of replay value.
I also like Project Zomboid, especially with their recent updates to include generators and purifying water so I don't have to wait for rain.

Another survival game I recommend would be Neo Scavenger, which takes place in Michigan and it's similar to Fallout 1 in a sense. It has permadeath and can be a pain the first few times you play it, but it's still fun once you get the hang of it.

There is a horror indie game which is called I Can't Escape: Darkness and has an atmospheric theme to it and you need to be aware of what is going on and does build tension as you don't know what is around the corner, and trying to survive in the dungeon which is not safe. There is the Cross of the Dutchman a horror type game which is based on the 16 century story of Pier Gerlofs Donia, who was a pirate and led a rebellion and was a hero to most people of his area and fought with two huge swords and a tough fighter. Fault Milestone Two Sides a visual novel and there are choices and also lot of battles if you choose to go down that path, and a enjoyable game and appealing as well to females and males and a nice game to entertain you.

Neo Scavenger
I was going to mention Neo Scavenger. It's got a very in-depth combat and damage system (even though it's text-based), and all of the mechanics are deep. Every decision you make can come back to haunt you.

Not hiding your tracks can get you killed.
Not finding clothing WILL get you killed.
Not treating minor wounds WILL get you killed.

Makes me think of Dwarf Fortress, another game with incredible mechanics that don't reveal themselves. (Seriously though, look up some Dwarf Fortress playthroughs.)

I was going to mention Neo Scavenger. It's got a very in-depth combat and damage system (even though it's text-based), and all of the mechanics are deep. Every decision you make can come back to haunt you.

Not hiding your tracks can get you killed.
Not finding clothing WILL get you killed.
Not treating minor wounds WILL get you killed.

Makes me think of Dwarf Fortress, another game with incredible mechanics that don't reveal themselves. (Seriously though, look up some Dwarf Fortress playthroughs.)
I've dabbled with Dwarf Fortress here and there, but I find Neo Scavenger to be a bit more easier to me (even though I'm currently dying thanks to running into those a-holes with the hospital gowns and gas masks on their face. Plague-carrying jerks...)

Border Control: Awesome game. The concept its quite original. Its a kind of game that i've never played before. Its hard to explain why this game is so good, but just read the reviews and you'll see that almost no one says anything bad about this game.

Hotline Miami (1 and 2, I prefer 2) games are absolutely fantastic. Great gameplay, an interesting crazy story and a simply excellent soundtrack to top it all off.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is also up there. Lots of things to unlock (over a hundred) and every playthrough can be very unique, it's probably the best roguelite out there right now by far.

I'm surprised that nobody's mentioned Bastion yet. The art is lush, the music well done and the narration compelling. It's not a very long game but it's well worth the time and the investment.