Warlords launch hit by DDOS attack?

Zyni

Registered
Nov 7, 2014
So, apparently the launch of WoW's latest xpac wasn't just the typical release mess but was impacted by a DDOS attack. This has happened to WoW several times in the recent past, but must really suck for Blizzard when launching a new xpac, since there are already bound to be problems on release. A lot of people were very upset, judging by the WoW forums.

I had no idea. I knew there were long queues and issues logging in, which is typical of every xpac release from Blizzard in my experience. However about 24 hours after the initial launch, I managed to log in with no issues. I haven't had a lot of time to play though, unfortunately.

I read that they reduced server capacity due to the attack. That is what caused the log in queues, apparently.

It's typical for some issues to arise (nothing goes live perfectly), but an attack on top of it can't be good. They must have been able to get a handle on things, if you felt no ill effects, so that's good.

I wonder if they will ever be able to catch/stop the guys doing these DDOS attacks.