Virtual reality

queenbellevue

Registered
Feb 14, 2015
Does anyone have an Oculus Rift?? I've been really curious about it, seems REALLY expensive and bulky though. I feel like it still needs to work out kinks and whatnot until it's *real* virtual reality

Yeah, you're right, it is really expensive and bulky. I usually don't buy experimental things like this. I know, it is a tested and finished product, but by 'experimental' I mean it hasn't been a big hit with the public yet. This means that everyone that buys this may be left with a bulky pair of glasses if this product fails in the near future. Don't believe this initial hype, a lot of people bought the 3D printer only to realize later, or rather too late, that it's not as useful as they initially thought.

I think it's too early for them to release it commercially so the only ones out now probably are still in the development stage but from the footage I've seen on youtube of the different people who have experienced it, it does seem to be legit and fun. I myself was skeptical at first but now I'm thinking it probably does offer something more than just screens closer to your eyes.

Virtual reality technology is still in its infancy, buying an Oculus Rift now would definitely be a pricey investment with questionable performance. I would wait a few more years, hopefully they will nail it in a decade and mass-manufacture it at an affordable price.

Virtual reality technology is still in its infancy, buying an Oculus Rift now would definitely be a pricey investment with questionable performance. I would wait a few more years, hopefully they will nail it in a decade and mass-manufacture it at an affordable price.

Yeah, I thought so as well. I mean, right now it seems very novel and not a lot of people are buying it. I'm wondering why there hasn't been a knockoff from China though, they seem to be really quick with knockoffs.

I don't. I've seen lots of play throughs with people using it, but I think it's still too new to be worth buying, if that makes sense? Like, it's still needs to get all of the potential bugs out and such? It's also very expensive, for just a head set. There also isn't that many games that are for it or able to be played while using it.

Though, my father recently got a "Google Cardboard" kit for his fiance, haha.
Google-Cardboard-VR-headset.jpeg

google-cardboard-9921.jpg

DODOcase_VR5_1024x1024.jpg

Never heard of it until now. I just googled it and it looks great and fun but is rather expensive. I love virtual reality but the price is out of my budget at this stage. Maybe one day they will become more affordable for the average consumers like myself.

OMG, that thing is like the toy we used to have as kids. You would press the button to show another slide.

Honestly, I hope and pray that Occulus Rift really takes off because that is advancement to gaming. One of the biggest problems as a developer that we have now is that we are basically going backwards because of mobile. There is too much money to be made in mobile, so a lot of the better developers are basically making games that can be played on a computer from 8 years ago. You can´t do anything with graphics.

I was actually surprised to see that Occulus isn't too expensive, though I agree that it's probably best to wait a while longer just because it isn't polished yet and also there's not much to do on it as of now anyway.

Steam VR was recently announced and I'm pretty hyped for it! Imagine if it is released together with Half-Life 3! :p