Videogame Voice Actors may go on strike

FreddyMac

quackquackquack
Registered
Sep 20, 2015
plays.tv
link link2

This is big.

I've read for some time now that voice actors are treated as 2nd-class actors, much lower pay, few guarantees, no benefits.

Basically, the VA's are largely ununionised. They take work where they can get it, and simply have to accept bad contracts if that's what's on the table. They're fighting back now.

There's some odd demands, but hopefully the weird ones are bargaining chips.
*Stunt-pay and safety regulators*
*percentage of the gross-profit*
*massive fines for non-union work*

This has potential to really affect the AA releases, good and bad.

Ouch. I'm not surprised, though, because I've heard the same thing about voice actors. They do some excellent work - I like many VAs better than mainstream actors, quite frankly - and I hope they get what they're looking for. VAs don't get nearly enough respect for their talents.

I also wonder if this is part and parcel with the increasing trend of using big name actors in gaming roles. I can't imagine talented VAs who are probably better fits for many parts are happy that movie stars are wandering in and taking work that's not actually well-suited to their brand of acting.

To be honest I can see some sort of compromise being worked out. The games industry needs the VA's as much as the VA's need the game industry, and if they went on strike both would suffer so it's in neither of their best interests to let it drag on.

big name actors in gaming roles
Like Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hyder for Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5?

I'm no fanboy of MGS, barely played them, but to replace the voice actor in the 7-8 installment of the series? That would never be allowed if it were TV or film.

I'm happy that "face" actors are increasingly working in voice roles, it helps legitimise the craft. But if they do it at the expense of established workers, that just unfair. Paying even more to the millionaires.

Wow, I didn`t know they were treated that badly. And it is a shame too, since those voice actors are really good and have a ton of talent. Much of a game`s atmosphere comes from good voice acting, and it would be a shame for these guys to quit the gaming industry.

I think that voice actors need to be paid well and have breaks as well since they do have to use their voice a lot to say the lines and can be stressful to think how the character would act and, not being paid well can add to it which needs to be worked out. I think well known actors get paid well when they do voice work and the same should be done for the small or unknown people, who give their time and also do voice work in the industry and needs to be taken care of. It is interesting to see what happens in the industry and also more changes need to be done, so there is equal pay and the actors do get the profits of the game and the sales that occurs.

Like Kiefer Sutherland replacing David Hyder for Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 5?

I'm no fanboy of MGS, barely played them, but to replace the voice actor in the 7-8 installment of the series? That would never be allowed if it were TV or film.

I'm happy that "face" actors are increasingly working in voice roles, it helps legitimise the craft. But if they do it at the expense of established workers, that just unfair. Paying even more to the millionaires.
Yeah, that was the example that jumped immediately to mind when I read that post. I haven't played MGS5 yet, and I've heard Sutherland did a good job of the role, but I don't blame Hayter or his fans for being ticked off about the replacement. He's been Snake for so damned long. And it's not like keeping him would've removed any of the hype for the game. The world collectively screams aloud whenever a new Metal Gear game is up for release.

Peter Dinklage is another example. He's not a superstar actor yet, but Game of Thrones has certainly put him on the fast track to fame, so I wasn't surprised to hear that he would be in Destiny. The dude's a great actor, but he has little voice acting experience, and he was awful in that game. Maybe that's the fault of his director in the sound studio, maybe not, but I think the role would've been better left to a veteran VA. (And I hear Nolan North has been doing much, much better now that Dinklage is out.)

Having a name or a celebrity helps give a game even more publicity so I can see why the game developers have increasingly started to go down that route.

That doesn't mean to say that I agree with it though, and its a kick in the teeth for the well established VA's that have probably made the game what it is today, only to then be replaced by a so called celebrity.

I wouldn't be happy either to be honest, nobody would.

I haven't played MGS5 yet, and I've heard Sutherland did a good job of the role
Got MGS last night, Sutherland has said like 10 lines so far. I honestly thought that I was missing sound assets, till I put subtitles on. Big Boss just don't speak.

But I've been reading up on the voice acting, and how MSG5 has made things very different. Early-ish in the game, you can start playing as any other people you've rescued. They have full voice acting, motion-capture and skillsets. Even if you play as a female. So the dialogue budget couldn't be fully spent on David Hadyer saying 20 000 lines, when you can simply not play as him. They fleshed out the secondary cast so that less reliance is on the main character. Tom Francis does a write-up on it.

Yeah, that was the example that jumped immediately to mind when I read that post. I haven't played MGS5 yet, and I've heard Sutherland did a good job of the role, but I don't blame Hayter or his fans for being ticked off about the replacement. He's been Snake for so damned long. And it's not like keeping him would've removed any of the hype for the game. The world collectively screams aloud whenever a new Metal Gear game is up for release.

Peter Dinklage is another example. He's not a superstar actor yet, but Game of Thrones has certainly put him on the fast track to fame, so I wasn't surprised to hear that he would be in Destiny. The dude's a great actor, but he has little voice acting experience, and he was awful in that game. Maybe that's the fault of his director in the sound studio, maybe not, but I think the role would've been better left to a veteran VA. (And I hear Nolan North has been doing much, much better now that Dinklage is out.)
I'm one of the fans that was annoyed to hear Sutherland's voice for Snake and while he acted...alright, it was just not the same. I just kept expecting him to spout some lines from 24 whenever I heard him talk, tbh. I would have accepted the change if Hayter was unavailable of something was keeping him from doing his role or it was introducing a brand new character. Just dismissing him when he was willing to work was disrespectful in my opinion, but it's Konami and with what they are doing now, I feel it to be foreshadowing of some kind with their falling out with Kojima.

It would be really neat if this strike happened and there was a weird period of a year or two where games just didn't have voices like in the early days, but looked like modern games....