VC is the Greatest

New VC games on Mondays are great. Super Mario World is now up, and new games are coming every Monday this is great. The Wii is so freaking cool. Contra 3, Mario Kart 64, Mario 64, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, R-Type 1&3, Gunstar Heros, Comix Zone.......the list goes on if you don't have a Wii go get one.................if you can find it.

Yeah, the VC is awesome. Thinking about starting a series of articles where I comment on/review two similar VC games per article (well, some connection between the two at least).

edit: Oh, and one of the VC games is one I've played and am somewhat to really familiar with, and the other game is one I have hardly/never played but maybe know something (or nothing) about.

Does Live Arcade offer some home-brewed/indie stuff? That aspect is going to be interesting this console generation for sure. Can't wait.

--

Hmm, I believe I will go on an adventure with my first article: Kirby's and Bonk's Adventure to be precise. :p

uhhh Sorry to dissapoint but Live Arcade dose not have Contra 3, Streets of Rage, or Golden Ax (yet). So no it's not better. And neither is the VC, because it dose not have Geometry Wars, or Lumines. But the reason VC is the Greatest is because it will soon be getting Neo Geo games. NOW you tell me how can you beat that?

Does the VC have a Street Fighter that doesn't suck? Does the VC have any games you can play online?

And what precisely makes you think the VC will have Neo Geo games? If you look at things closely, all the considered games for the VC from SNK are ones previously ported to the SNES. Sure, we could end up getting lucky and getting the good versions of the game. But It's a bit too much of a coincidence to ensure that the good versions will make an appearance.

Nostalgia versus snobbery! Round one! Fight!

VC's a neat chance to get back to old games, but Nintendo has always been fickle and made weird choices about their releases. Sure, we get to play Mario Kary 64, but we also get Ice Climbers. Ice Climbers? Sure they were cute in Super Smash Bros Melee, but their original game isn't much fun. And how many people still own and play these games in their original format? Or on emulators?

Live Arcade is full of new tricks. A lot of the classics they release have been renewed for slightly better graphics and online support, such as Doom, Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting, and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. The problem is that a lot of these classic releases just aren't very good, like Paperboy. Live Arcade's few original offerings are largely by independant studios. But how well do they work? Are the improvements worth ten dollars? The original titles are often fun, but shallow, and interest in them quickly wanes even over the duration of the trial.

So while Nintendo's VC is a great place to find the games that made Nintendo great, it's still a show of Nintendo's fear of getting too ahead of the tech curve from a lack of new content (which may not be a problem forever) to a refusal to add contemporary features fans would love to see. The Live Arcade appeals more to players who want to see classics updated with online play and bits patched together of the best versions of each game, making a new "mix" of each one, but the list of titles remains iffy, the classics often being so mostly in memory rather than in quality, and the fresh content (Lumines and Geometry Wars aside) is struggling to bridge the gap between affordable and lasting.

For some reason I have the feeling that Nintendo will release the pure versions of games, then roll out enhanced, contemporary versions of a portion of those with online play, new content and what have you, as you alluded to. Maybe some 3rd party companies will release their old stuff like that right off the bat.

Speaking of, I swear something happened in the VC version of LoZ:ALttP that was't in the original. I cut a bush that concealed a hole in the ground, fell in. It's the one on the screen to the right of the graveyard. Anyway, I fell in and I was in a blue rupee room, and some guy referenced some English name. Then when I fell back in, it was back to the way I remembered it from back in the day...

Maybe it was just something I never came across at the right time in the original version for whatever reason. Strange, that.

Nintendo did state that the games that are coming out on VC are not altered at all. They are the versions of what we got when we had or played them at that time. NOTHING has changed. But it dose not mean they will not add features, right now it's a wait and see.

But Spud you spoke of how SFII on VC sucked, well the Arcade version of Contra that the 360 has sucked also. And SF on the 360 still has the lag problem and is why nobody I know still plays it.

What theses systems need is MvC2 and nothing else.

PrinceLUDA21 said:
Nintendo did state that the games that are coming out on VC are not altered at all. They are the versions of what we got when we had or played them at that time. NOTHING has changed. But it dose not mean they will not add features, right now it's a wait and see.

But Spud you spoke of how SFII on VC sucked, well the Arcade version of Contra that the 360 has sucked also. And SF on the 360 still has the lag problem and is why nobody I know still plays it.

What theses systems need is MvC2 and nothing else.
Uhhh....that post was stupid in so many ways.

1) No, they aren't altered. It's the same crappy SNES port from 1994. Not the awesome arcade game from 1992.
2) Source on what games are getting new features?
3) I don't care if Contra causes you Xbox to grow legs and kills your cat, I don't play Contra and didn't even address it.
4) Hyper Fighting has nearly no lag. You just apparently need a new ISP.
5) Do you now how impossible a rerelease of MVC2 is? Hell, the rights to the Marvel universe has been dissected and spread across the gaming industry like nothing has before. Sega has the rights to Iron Man. Sierra has the rights to the Hulk. Activision has the rights to the Xmen. 2k owns the rights to Ghost Rider. So unless all these companies, and Marvel, are willing to throw in the approval along with Capcom having to foot the bill for the porting, which isn't going to happen, then you simply can't actually believe that MVC2 will ever come back.
6) MvC2 sucks, anyway. It's unbalanced, and really just boils down to who can charge more meter and actually get their partners' attack to hit first.
silent_storm said:
I heard that Goldeneye will be coming out for VC and maybe even Xbox Live Arcade.
I'm kinda doubting the Xbox one though...
Diddy Kong Racing proved one thing. Rare apparently needs to be on board for the game to be able to come out. You'll probably see it on the 360 first.

Last edited:
Hold the phone hold it right there. I agreed with you on the fact that nothing has changed in any of the games coming to the VC. But it dose not mean that they could not be added fetures at some point in time.

2. How can you sit there and not care for Contra....and you call yourself a gamer? Shame on you and your soul.
3. And yes Hyper Fighter has lag, you know why, Because ppl with bad connections or not enough bandwith can and will cause lag. And the GAME SUCKED MAJOR BUTT CHEEKS when it was first released and it took them a few months to get things working ok.
4. And there was no need for the detaild explination on the rights to who has what. I know who has what and who can get what. But would it not kick major ass if either Wii or 360 was to get MvC2
5. MAY YOU BURN IN HELL for saying that MvC2 Sucked. You the one and only 2d fighter lover in the world dare to say that MvC sucked, as it can stand as the best sd fighter ever created. SFII is the GOD of 2d fighters so we need not to talk on that. But MvC2 was the best thing since slice bread.

1) Source on when they will be added?
2) I didn't say I didn't care about the Contra series. Just not the 360 ones. The same goes for all the arcade classics.
3) You can't even debate this. The lag was minimal as long as you had a mediocre connection.
4) No, it wouldn't. Especially since there are games like Street Fighter Alpha 3, or Street Fighter 3 that could come out before it.
5) I'm not alone in my distaste for it. It's just an overly-popularized game that, once you reach a certain point in skill, you realize just how ridiculously unplayable the game is. Much like SSBM.

To comment on 5:

Sounds like Halo, with the exception that no matter how many times you say you're gonna quit, you come back and have a good game and reclaim it as still the best multiplayer experience. :p

The difference is that Marvel vs. Capcom 2 can be statistically proven to be lacking in the departments of good fighting games.