Upcoming open world games

Maxprime94

Registered
Nov 8, 2014
Hey everyone,

I love gaming and one of my favorite genre's is open world. I've played all the latest open world games (Just cause 2, GTA series, Saint's row series, minecraft ect) but I am really hoping that some of you out there know of any other open world games or any that are currently in development and/or on Steam.

You probably already know this one, but Dragon Age: Inquisition is coming soon and so is Far Cry 4 and both advertise wide open world games. Personally, I'm looking forward to the new Zelda on WiiU which is supposed to be the first open world Zelda title. But those are just a few.

Woah! You definitely helped me out here. I actually hadn't heard of Dragon Age but (I just googled it!) it looks awesome, I'll be keeping that on my watch list, along with Far cry 4 which I can't wait for! I'm also really happy to hear that they are still making Zelda games, those were the titles that got me started with gaming! I think I'll have to buy a WiiU just for it lol not joking.

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure if it counts but I remember Fable being a pretty open-world type game. I could go to and from villages. The world itself wasn't extremely huge but it was an open space at the very least. I used to go to different towns and marry different women. Then, I would buy them all houses to live in. None of them ever followed me around though, which is a missed-opportunity in any open-world type game with that kind of option.

We are only going to get open-world games in near future. You can already see it happening right now with games like Mad Max, The Crew and The Division leading the way. I for one am really excited about some of these games. Not all of them are going to be good, but I am positive that games like Dying Light and Dead Island 2 are going to set benchmark for other games to come.

Now if we could only get truly open holographic worlds or something like that. I heard the military has virtual reality simulators that they use to safely train soldiers in combat and I'm patiently waiting for a virtual reality open world game to explore that's similar to that with no actual war training involved. I don't see that happening for at a minimum of another ten years if ever. I can dream about a truly virtual open world though!

I'm looking forward to The Crew which supposedly is an open world MMO racing game. I don't think it's ever been done before which is why I'm really excited to see how well they made it. I'm not even that much of an online player myself but somehow getting to form race teams online is appealing to me.

Funny you mention it, I just started playing an mmorpg (obviously open world) that is amazing. It's called tera. You can choose from 7 races and 8 different classes. The graphics are beautiful and it is based off both skill and numbers.

If you perfer fps, I recommend dayz. It's a zombie survival game that is a mod, along with a stand alone. It's got a really active player base. The pvp really gets you an adrenaline rush. Also, when you go to trade stories of your adventures with other players on the forums, it sounds like you really are in a zombie apocalypse. For example, one that happened to me recently :

I wandered into the city with nothing but an axe and a few cans of food. I went to the cities fire station, looking for a better weapon, when I found an ak 47. I went to leave with my new weapon when someone hiding in a small concrete shed outside the door fired at me. I tried to talk to them, but they wouldn't listen. I returned fire but I think I only grazed them. Our gun fire attracted zombies that swarmed my enemy. I managed to hide from them until they dispersed. My opponent had a hand gun and a back pack. That was a good day.

Isn't DayZ open world? I can't wait for that to hit consoles or even PC out of alpha/beta!

I heard of Just Cause 2 and never played it. I have not seen a gameplay footage of the game.

Yep, read yesterday Just Cause 3 is in the works! I will wait to play that game. Also, whenever the next Elder Scroll games comes out, I'm pouncing on that game!